Repro freezing and screen garbage

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
CowboyJunkie

Repro freezing and screen garbage

Post by CowboyJunkie »

Hi guys!

I recently got my SNESs out of storage and decided after recapping and repairing them I wanted to try making Repros,
thinking it must be cool to actually build the carts. A Flasher might be much more hassle free, but I prefer the actually "building"
of Hardware. Done quite a lot for the old Commodores (Like C64 and C16). I know how to solder and how to programm Eprom.

After my fair share of mistakes, I now have a basic hang of things.... but I have one repro which is giving me headaches:

I dumped the ROM myself from an original. The checksums and CRC are good.
LoROM, FastROM, 16MBit, US.
Burned it on a ST 27c160.
Soldered it into the Repro Board (Stanmoi)
Game starts, first level no Problem... start of second level: screen flashes, SNES freezes, fills screen with garbage.

First Guess: PPU Failure...
But NO. Burn In Test runs smoothly, no garbage, all test pass.

Second guess: the ROM. Dumped the Repro Board with my Sanni OSCR -> Everything checks out
The dumped ROM (from the Repro!!) works fine in SNES9X

Third Guess: Maybe the SNES after all???
Flashed the Dump from the Repro to my Tototek Super Flash -> works perfectly?!?!?

Fourth Guess: Maybe the Eprom?
Tried another Eprom -> same result

Fifth Guess: The CIC?
Removed the SMD Supercic from the Repro Board and soldered a 12F629 in... -> same result, crash in level 2

and of course I cleaned the Cart Connector in the SNES (was actually the first thing I did...)

I would appreciate any input! :-)

Regards,
John
krzysiobal

Re: Repro freezing and screen garbage

Post by krzysiobal »

1. Be sure that the ROM occupies whole memory (if it is less that the size of it, mirror it across whole memory)
2. Check if PGM/WE lines of the memories are tried to VCC
3. Check if the game requires RAM and repro-cartridge provides it.
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com
CowboyJunkie

Re: Repro freezing and screen garbage

Post by CowboyJunkie »

@krzysiobal :
Thank you for the pointers.

1) The ROM was already at 16MBit (original dump). I compared the Dump to the NoIntro Database and it checks out.
2) The Rom was burned to an Eprom, I think PGM/WE is only found on Flash??!
3) The game does not require any RAM, Board ist configured for that.

Regards,
John