Help needed: Rockman 6-in-1 multicart hardware

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
gorgyrip

Re: Help needed: Rockman 6-in-1 multicart hardware

Post by gorgyrip »

I've swaped megaman 1 with megaman 2. Now megaman 1 has audio distorsion and Megaman 2 has perfect audio. In this case for megaman1 i've used Farid's patch and for megaman 2 i've used Infidelity's patch.
Note: if i first start megaman 1, reset and start megaman 2, the game will also have audio distorsion.

Another test: megaman 1 and 2, both with infidelity's patch. Both have audio distorsion.
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

Just wanted to give an update on Ninja Gaiden to mmc3. Progress is slowly coming along. This conversion has proved to be more difficult than all the rest. Ill give a more thorough explaination when I get the chance, but what I can tell you is that rom does boot up as mmc3, but chr/mirroring are 2 major factors that I need to tackle. Im fixing them, making progress.
gorgyrip

Post by gorgyrip »

Another test (i'm going crazy here).
I replaced Megaman 1,2,4,6 with castlevania mmc3. Castlevania works perfectly, no matter wich one i start.
Now i only replaced megaman 1,2 and 4 with Castlevania mmc3. Castlevania starts, but after the intro (when he enters the gate), i get a black screen, no matter wich game i select.
Next I replaced Megaman 1,2 and 6 with castlevania mmc3. Castlevania works perfectly, no matter wich one i start.
So, it's something wrong with my wiring or with the menu?
Last edited by gorgyrip on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

Ninja Gaiden MMC3 is about 95% complete. Need to figure how to have the text for both the cutscenes and the in-game hud, to display correctly. The text shows up as whatever tiles are stored currently in the ppu, they get fetched from somewhere else in the rom. Its been a long time since ive worked with something like this. I had to rewrite how $8000-$8001 read gaiden's chr setup. But when I try to have 2 sets of routines, the in-game palette fade in gets stuck in a weird loop, and the chr routine doesnt work. This is the only issue left with this game from becoming a full MMC3 port.

EDIT - Freak luck, I was able to get the text to appear for the cutscenes.

Now im still trying to decypher in-game co-existences of 2 chr setups, very difficult.

EDIT #2 - Making progress, found a workaround but it aint pretty looking code wise, but its being allowed to work and display. Hoping by tonight or tomorrow to have it finished.
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

Ok, I have Ninja Gaiden working as MMC3.

Tested and working on the following emulators.

FCEUX
Nestopia
Nintendulator (with some shaking issues. Can others please confirm?)

Also tested and working on my RetroPak for my NES.

Ive only played up to Act III on all devices. But everything leading up to Act III, (title screen, cutscenes, level layouts, mappings, etc) are all there and correct.

I do not have a tkrom board/multirom board, nor the proper tools for that, so I cant confirm if my patched work will work on those devices.

My MMC3 Package Now Updated To 4.0, Which Now Includes Ninja Gaiden Converted To MMC3, Along With Notes

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4456

I hope you all enjoy this, this really was more work than I expected! :-0

-infidelity
infidelity

Post by infidelity »

Workin on a guide on how I convert (specificly) towards MMC1 to MMC3, regarding CHR, and bankswapping.
FARID

Post by FARID »

@ infidelity
Well done, thank you!
Now it is possible to make the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy multicart!
Also thank you for the tips, that is really awesome.
Keep up the good work.
elseyf

Post by elseyf »

FARID wrote:@ infidelity
Well done, thank you!
Now it is possible to make the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy multicart!
Also thank you for the tips, that is really awesome.
Keep up the good work.
that would be awesome :D
you could do it like on the SNES and put in some pictures if it is not too hard :D
gorgyrip

Post by gorgyrip »

Farid, have you made the ninja gaiden multicart?
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

So anyone got a PCB in the works for this as of yet?
gorgyrip

Post by gorgyrip »

I don't think there will ever be a PCB available because it's not cost effective.
The best way is to use adapters. TSOP and SO chips are not expensive and after that use wires.
I still didn't solved the audio issue in megaman 2. FARID teste it on a famiclone, maybe doesn't work right on an original nes, or maybe i did something wrong (i checked everything many times) or maybe the blame is on the 74 chips.
FARID said at one moment that had in mind a ninja gaiden trilogy. That will be easyer to build because each game has only 128k chr and 128k prg, so you can use 2x 29f040, dip32.
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

gorgyrip wrote:I don't think there will ever be a PCB available because it's not cost effective.
The best way is to use adapters. TSOP and SO chips are not expensive and after that use wires.
I still didn't solved the audio issue in megaman 2. FARID teste it on a famiclone, maybe doesn't work right on an original nes, or maybe i did something wrong (i checked everything many times) or maybe the blame is on the 74 chips.
FARID said at one moment that had in mind a ninja gaiden trilogy. That will be easyer to build because each game has only 128k chr and 128k prg, so you can use 2x 29f040, dip32.
I don't understand how it wouldn't be cost effective as it's still gonna use the exact same amount of chips no matter what and you don't need to to use tsop adapters if you stick to a 27c160 in 8bit mode. It would just be nice to not have to make a rats nest of wires and chips to get it done is all and I believe this project to be popular enough that it would justify making a pcb for it.
FARID

Post by FARID »

Yeah I agree with gorgyrip
Making the cartridge at home is more cost effective than ordering a small quantity of the PCB
By the way I made the PCB design long time ago but I can't release it until I test it myself and the problem is I don't have free time to do that :

80sFREAK

Post by 80sFREAK »

nintendo2600 wrote:
gorgyrip wrote:I don't think there will ever be a PCB available because it's not cost effective.
I don't understand how it wouldn't be cost effective as it's still gonna use the exact same amount of chips no matter what and you don't need to to use tsop adapters if you stick to a 27c160 in 8bit mode. It would just be nice to not have to make a rats nest of wires and chips to get it done is all and I believe this project to be popular enough that it would justify making a pcb for it.
If you think it's cost effective, DO IT YOURSELF :lol:

P.S. we can talk about it from 30 buck shipped(per one) in a run of 50. Bare PCB :lol:
GameMachineJames

Post by GameMachineJames »

80sFREAK wrote:
nintendo2600 wrote:
If you think it's cost effective, DO IT YOURSELF :lol:

P.S. we can talk about it from 30 buck shipped(per one) in a run of 50. Bare PCB :lol:

^ I'd buy one. Just to make fixing my Rockman cart easier. Also, 80sFREAK is a good guy to work with. I've bought stuff from him via Famicom World.