My one cent in PPU documentation

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

dreampeppers99

My one cent in PPU documentation

Post by dreampeppers99 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:00 pm

I started to code a NES emulator in Java a long time ago, but anyway I think my understanding (with lots of visual aid) can help some guy trying to grasp it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mLI ... sp=sharing

PS: If you want to edit this document, please tell me then I'll give you the access.

lidnariq

Re: My one cent in PPU documentation

Post by lidnariq » Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 pm

You might consider fixing all the links to nesdev.parodius, since it's gone and the content has been moved here.

dreampeppers99

Post by dreampeppers99 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 pm

lidnariq wrote:You might consider fixing all the links to nesdev.parodius, since it's gone and the content has been moved here.
Thanks ;> I also make it open to public to comment, if you find something wrong or something that could be written better just comment there.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Right in the introduction:
The tiles are stored in a ROM chip on the game cartridge
24% of all NES games used CHR RAM instead of ROM.

Also, not all the bits exist for the 4 bytes of data in sprite ram, but that's just an unimportant nitpicky detail. The bits that do nothing can't even be read back.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

dreampeppers99

Post by dreampeppers99 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Dwedit wrote:Right in the introduction:
The tiles are stored in a ROM chip on the game cartridge
24% of all NES games used CHR RAM instead of ROM.

Also, not all the bits exist for the 4 bytes of data in sprite ram, but that's just an unimportant nitpicky detail. The bits that do nothing can't even be read back.
Now it is in the doc, thanks.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Fri May 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Also, it seems like you were struggling on the attribute tables.
Divide up a byte into bits like ddccbbaa, and the bits apply to the four 16x16 sections of a 32x32 region like this:
AB
CD
aa means it's a 2-bit value (0-3) that determines which palette goes into A, aa is the lowest two bits of the byte. Then bb is another two-bit value, etc.

Attribute tables are 8 bytes wide and 8 bytes tall, and take up the last 64 bytes of a nametable, instead of having two more rows of tiles.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

dreampeppers99

Post by dreampeppers99 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Dwedit wrote:Also, it seems like you were struggling on the attribute tables.
Divide up a byte into bits like ddccbbaa, and the bits apply to the four 16x16 sections of a 32x32 region like this:
AB
CD
aa means it's a 2-bit value (0-3) that determines which palette goes into A, aa is the lowest two bits of the byte. Then bb is another two-bit value, etc.

Attribute tables are 8 bytes wide and 8 bytes tall, and take up the last 64 bytes of a nametable, instead of having two more rows of tiles.
It might be my weak college but attribute tables almost killed me, and now I see it so simple. =/ Maybe was the docs I looked into or myself over complicating ... anyway. thanks, if you want I can give edit permission.