It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm 

Does anyone happen to know which PRG-ROM banks get mapped to $8000-9fff, $a000-bffff, $c000-dfff, and $e000-ffff with VRC2 (and possibly VRC4) by default/at power-on?

It's not really made clear in the Wiki...

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/VRC2

Edit: Updated, since I found some other information that seemed to conflict with my assumptions, so now I'm uber-confused. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm 

Is there reason to think the changeable banks have a default, instead of just being an analog effect?
Anyway, VRC2 is 8+8+16F banking; VRC4 is "same as MMC3" PRG banking.
Would adding "Banks sections" address your question?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm 

All you need to know is that $C000-FFFF is PERMANENTLY fixed to the last 16KB of PRG-ROM. That's all you really need since it guarantees vectors are where they need to be.

Although you're right, the wiki doesn't really explain this well. It could benefit from a 'banks' section similar to MMC3.

Disch's docs explain it fairly well with this diagram. The -1 and -2 denote fixed to the last and second to last 8KB bank respectively. The registers at $800x and $A00x control their respective banks. You SHOULD assume these start up UNKNOWN. Relying on whatever they may start up and you're asking for trouble. Even if the hardware is known startup value, it hasn't been documented; so emulators are sure to get it wrong.

Code:
PRG Setup:
--------------------------

$8000   $A000   $C000   $E000 
    +-------+-------+-------+-------+
    | $8000 | $A000 | { -2} | { -1} |
    +-------+-------+-------+-------+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm 

infiniteneslives wrote:
All you need to know is that $C000-FFFF is PERMANENTLY fixed to the last 16KB of PRG-ROM. That's all you really need since it guarantees vectors are where they need to be.

This is what I needed to know, actually. :-)

And yeah, these pages really need a Banks section (similar to the MMC3 wiki) explaining what's hard-wired or mapped to what. I can't stress the importance of this enough, particularly when doing REing of games. I tend to assume the last PRG bank is what's most relevant (mainly because of the 6502 vectors), but not all the mappers are like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 am 

The other issue is that different batches of VRC2 or VRC4 may have different power up characteristics anyway. Disch's docs usually mention if a mapper expects a certain power-up state and the games that fail without it. Atleast I remember one such case like that.