It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Mapper 93. I had this info:
Code:
  $8000-FFFF:  [PPPP ...M]
    P = PRG Reg  (16k @ $8000)
    M = Mirroring:
      0 = Vert
      1 = Horz     

According to the wiki, it's "wrong"..??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 pm 

Mapper 93 (Sunsoft-2 on 3R) definitely never supported H/V switchable mirroring...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 pm 

Tried a bunch of ROMs with it, here's a few thoughts:

- program is always using 100% of a CPU core for me (does it never have an opportunity to sleep?)
- disksys.rom has to be placed in program folder, consider searching in the same directory as .fds file for it.
- lagrange point english patched version crashes program (regular lagrange point runs OK, without the extra sound)
- PAL battletoads doesn't appear to work (is there any PAL support?)
- consider saving settings to file immediately, rather than just on exit, in case of crash
- Startropics does not run properly (looks like the usual write protected RAM issue)
- Of all the Famicom expansion audio chips, only VRC6 is working (this is the only one implemented so far, right?)
- often when I pause with Esc and switch to other windows, the NES image ends up disappearing (just becomes black), so it's hard to tell what I was paused on

Also, seeing the Allegro UI for the first time in many years brings back some memories. (I used to use Allegro around 1998 or so with DJGPP.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:21 am 
Formerly Fx3

rainwarrior wrote:
Tried a bunch of ROMs with it, here's a few thoughts

Here we go... ^_^;;
Quote:
- program is always using 100% of a CPU core for me (does it never have an opportunity to sleep?)

True, since Allegro's vsync() has no sleeping at all. I could modify it.
Quote:
- disksys.rom has to be placed in program folder, consider searching in the same directory as .fds file for it.

Ok. Next...
Quote:
- lagrange point english patched version crashes program (regular lagrange point runs OK, without the extra sound)

Only VRC6 is supported as extra sound. Hmm, I need to try out such version and debug it.
Quote:
- PAL battletoads doesn't appear to work (is there any PAL support?)

No PAL support, since official timing info is very vague and unsure in most of its context.
Quote:
- consider saving settings to file immediately, rather than just on exit, in case of crash

Good. :) Next...
Quote:
- Startropics does not run properly (looks like the usual write protected RAM issue)

Hmm... I'll check this out.
Quote:
- Of all the Famicom expansion audio chips, only VRC6 is working (this is the only one implemented so far, right?)

Yup, only VRC6 as expansion sound.
Quote:
- often when I pause with Esc and switch to other windows, the NES image ends up disappearing (just becomes black), so it's hard to tell what I was paused on

The program title bar brings such state info.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:51 am 

It's nice release.
I have a couple requests:
- option to 2x/3x GUI size. GUI looks very small on native HD resolution.
- take back manual screen resolution selector in INI-file:
Force 640x480 resolution with 512x384 blitter looks interpolated on HD display.
Uncomfortable to select it manually every time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:57 am 
Formerly Fx3

I don't know how to load a bigger font in Allegro. :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 am 

I request the autofire turbo buttons, of course.
z - B
x - A
a - turbo B
s - turbo A

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 am 

Zepper wrote:
No PAL support, since official timing info is very vague and unsure in most of its context.

Vblank is lines 241 through 310 instead of 241 through 260, 3.2 dots per CPU cycle instead of 3, OAM not writable outside lines 241-260 even if rendering is disabled, different tables for noise and DMC periods (which are listed on the wiki). What else is unclear? Is it just the APU Frame Counter?

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm... I'll check this out.

When NES 2.0 RAM size is 1024 bytes, or the mapper is 4 and the PRG hash matches StarTropics or StarTropics 2, emulate MMC6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 am 

Zepper wrote:
I don't know how to load a bigger font in Allegro. :cry: :cry:

Try TTF2PCX and Allegro Grabber and Google allegro 4 font. Should I dig up my old Allegro programs to show you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 am 

Zepper wrote:
Quote:

The program title bar brings such state info.

Not sure what you mean about the program title bar, but I couldn't see the NES screen, which makes it difficult to know what you're jumping into when you unpause. I can't seem to make this happen again today, though, I'm not sure what triggered the black screen before. Kind of strange, because it was happening to me a lot yesterday.

Also:
- Uchuu Keibitai SDF has corrupt graphics, probably something about MMC5 CHR is not emulated?
- in the file selection dialog, it would be nice if the letter keys could be used to navigate (e.g. B cycles through files starting with B)
- program often loses keyboard focus when using ALT+ENTER to return from fullscreen, seems to have something to do with whether I use the mouse when in fullscreen?
- managed to get the program to hang (i.e. unresponsive, but not crashed) while using the Esc menu, not yet able to duplicate (just something to watch for, maybe)
- items in ? menu appear in a native pop-up dialog, rather than an allegro dialog like everything else
- Esc menu has underlined letters indicating keyboard commands, but they only work if the mouse is over the menu itself (which overrides the keyboard command 1 frame later)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:19 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Uchuu Keibitai SDF is the only game that uses Split Screen, not emulated. -_-;;

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:17 pm 

I think the screen going black thing was just what happens after some of the dialogs close. Like, using the input config dialog blacks the screen when it finishes, not sure if anything else does it. Anyway, I think it was that, rather than something to do with switching windows. (Might have only been the input config?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 pm 

Oh, also is there a way to crop the top and bottom 8 pixels? A lot of NTSC games have junk at the edges that you wouldn't normally see on a TV.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:24 pm 

Problems with Fire Emblem (MMC4):

To correct this issue, read VRAM, use the address to set the latches if necessary and then return the read value.

You appear to be setting the latches based on the address just prior to reading from VRAM.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:48 pm 
Formerly Fx3

zeroone wrote:
To correct this issue, read VRAM, use the address to set the latches if necessary and then return the read value.

You appear to be setting the latches based on the address just prior to reading from VRAM.

Uh... what? I didn't get it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next