RockNES - beta testing anyone? [UP: April 3rd]

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: RockNES - beta testing anyone?

Post by tepples »

koitsu wrote:And zlib1? I believe zlib itself has different licenses depending on which version you're using.
Source? My source says nothing about the use of different licenses for different versions of the software.
The "1" does not necessarily tell me jack squat about what version is being used.
The "1" means it exposes version 1 of the API.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Well, v1 was compiled with Dev-Cpp and v2 out of Dev-Cpp environment. Both versions use -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++, which are NOT fixing the missing DLL problem. Now, an easy question - is this problem still in previous versions, like 5.14???

Regarding the copyright part, I don't mind :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: as far as I'm NOT modifying the original source. If there's a problem, let me know and I will give you the sources... if that's the case.

Ay anyway, please, let's get focused on the DLL problem - no copyright discussion for now, or we have to get a cup of tea, staying in my chair. :mrgreen: :evil:
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

I cannot confirm that either of those flags are fixing anything because I'm missing non-libgcc-related DLLs.

Bavi_H states that he gets libgcc-related DLL errors, but, quote: "Does anyone else have the same problem? If I'm the only one with the problem, could there be something wrong on my computer?"

I'd like to try and verify his problem on my own XP workstation, but cannot until the zlib1.dll situation is rectified. So, where is the zlib1.dll that was used alongside RockNESv1.exe and RockNESv2.exe?

And in the meantime, what does depends.exe list for dependent runtime DLLs for both of those executables? (That is for Zepper to deal with, not us)
deeplinks

Post by deeplinks »

I just looked, and RockNES.exe actually doesn't need libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, it's alleg44.dll that request it (Note that zlib1.dll that comes with MinGW also needs libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll).

You can download allegro dll that doesn't require libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll here: https://www.allegro.cc/files/?v=4.4. In the archive, there are 'md' versions of dll that require it, and 'mt' that not. Allegro-4.4.2-mt.dll renamed to alleg44.dll seems to work fine.

Actually, I suggest you to go easy way and just include libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and zlib1.dll with RockNES.

EDIT: By the way, bug report: RockNES seems to crash on my PC randomly (Error at 0x77C372E3 - that's memmove function in msvcrt.dll, and it's trying to read/write incorrect memory)
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Thanks a lot, deeplinks!
Boolean

Post by Boolean »

1. Testing on YueFeiZhuan
When load the game, your emu only show the cursor.
nintendulator0970bin_unicode.png is right.
rnes520i686RC3.png is what your emu display.
FC87_SDL-0.1.2-Windows_x86(Unreleased).png is what I emu display. :oops:

2. Ask for advice
I am very curious about your MENU(or UI) 's implement. Today, I still don't find a way to
add menu to libSDL.
As you seen, FC87_SDL-0.1.2-Windows_x86(Unreleased).png is no menu.

P.S. YueFeiZhuan Mapper is 15. Details see http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_015
Attachments
nintendulator0970bin_unicode.png
nintendulator0970bin_unicode.png (32.13 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
rnes520i686RC3.png
FC87_SDL-0.1.2-Windows_x86(Unreleased).png
FC87_SDL-0.1.2-Windows_x86(Unreleased).png (29.26 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
Ten years passed. Hope that nesdev will be better in next ten years. :beer:
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

koitsu wrote:Bavi_H states that he gets libgcc-related DLL errors, but, quote: "Does anyone else have the same problem? If I'm the only one with the problem, could there be something wrong on my computer?"

I'd like to try and verify his problem on my own XP workstation, but cannot until the zlib1.dll situation is rectified. So, where is the zlib1.dll that was used alongside RockNESv1.exe and RockNESv2.exe?
Just to clarify: I was beginning to get concerned because others were happily reporting bugs with various NES games in RockNES, and nobody else was saying anything about having to manually copy DLLs into their RockNES folder to get RockNES to even run. Now that Koitsu has said he's also getting error messages about DLLs not being found I'm no longer worried it's a problem on just my computer.

All of the RockNES versions posted in this thread that I've tested* have the same DLL problems on my Windows XP computer. I need both libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and zlib1.dll to get RockNES to run:

1. When I extract the RockNES files and run the RockNES exe, I get an error that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll isn't found.
2. If I add libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll to the RockNES folder, then I get an error that zlib1.dll isn't found.
3. Once I also add zlib1.dll to the RockNES folder, then RockNES will run.

I'm copying the DLLs from my MinGW bin folder. (I already had MinGW installed for a previous project.)

* Here are the versions I've tested from this thread:

Code: Select all

Download            Title bar
==================  ======================================
rnes520i686.rar     5.20     32bit - Mar 22 2015, 11:43:20
rnes520i686RC2.rar  5.20 RC2 32bit - Mar 29 2015, 18:32:50
rnes520i686RC3.rar  5.20 RC3 32bit - Mar 31 2015, 23:17:18
RockNESv1.rar       5.20 RC3 32bit - Apr  1 2015, 20:28:16
RockNESv2.rar       5.20 RC3 32bit - Apr  1 2015, 18:48:57
Zepper wrote:Well, v1 was compiled with Dev-Cpp and v2 out of Dev-Cpp environment. Both versions use -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++, which are NOT fixing the missing DLL problem. Now, an easy question - is this problem still in previous versions, like 5.14???
I just found your website now. I tried the two most recent versions on your site, RockNES 5.142 and RockNES 5.13d, and they have no missing DLL error messages.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Please, get alleg44.dll from RockNES 5.142 and see if there's still DLL errors.
Attachments
alleg44.rar
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 406 times
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Code: Select all

Filename     Source              Verison
   ===========  ==================  ======================================
A. RockNES.exe  rnes5142.zip        5.142 - Jun 2 2014, 00:27:15
B. RockNES.exe  rnes520i686RC3.rar  5.20 RC3 32bit - Mar 31 2015, 23:17:18 

X. alleg44.dll  rnes5142.zip        4.4.2.0 (from File Properties)
Y. alleg44.dll  rnes520i686RC3.rar  4.4.3.0 (from File Properties)
A + X: No missing DLL errors.

B + X: Missing zlib1.dll first. Missing libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll second.

A + Y: Missing libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.

B + Y: Missing libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll first. Missing zlib1.dll second.
deeplinks

Post by deeplinks »

Zepper wrote:Please, get alleg44.dll from RockNES 5.142 and see if there's still DLL errors.
That version of alleg44.dll is working fine and doesn't require libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.

Some other notices:
1. alleg44.dll you providing (both versions) seems to be debug version (it's about 3 megabytes), which only needed for debugging purposes. For end-user, you can supply non-debug version of dll, which is smaller (about one megabyte). By the way, where did you get that alleg44.dll which is version 4.4.3.0?
2. Use Dependecy Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) so you can see dependencies of dll and exe files.
3. If you do not want to use zlib1.dll, you need static version of libz.a. Download zlib source code here: http://zlib.net/zlib128.zip, then compile it (unpack it to some folder, then in command prompt, change directory to that folder and type 'mingw32-make -fwin32/Makefile.gcc'). You will get 'libz.a' and 'libz.dll.a' files compiled. Delete 'libz.dll.a' - it's version that uses zlib1.dll. The other file - 'libz.a' is static library that you need for linking. You should put it into directory where your old zlib library was and delete all other zlib files that was there, so linker don't accidentally use old files.
4. I mentioned that RockNES crashes randomly on my system (while calling 'memmove' function). That seems to be happening only sometimes when I move mouse. When mouse is still, everything is fine and there are no crashes. Perhaps there are some bugs involved with mouse moving or mouse cursor displaying code in RockNES?
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Firstly, thanks A LOT for your feedback. :) The problem is Allegro 4.4.3 (SWN version), which I modified it to compile with gcc x64 (yup, the original developers have my modifications), but for some reason, I had problems. The solution is to go back to Allegro 4.4 public version and recompile everything in x86 (32-bit).
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

It wasn't so easy, but I guess I did it. I had to include -static-libgcc -static-libstdc+ in a file named links.txt in order to remove that DLL dependancy from Allegro library.
Attachments
alleg.png
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

I can confirm your changes work for me: RockNES RC4 opens without any missing DLL errors on my Windows XP.
deeplinks

Post by deeplinks »

About that crashing issue (when moving mouse) I described earlier - it turns out that it's bug in Allegro and/or DirectDraw, not in RockNES.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

deeplinks wrote:About that crashing issue (when moving mouse) I described earlier - it turns out that it's bug in Allegro and/or DirectDraw, not in RockNES.
I rollback to Allegro 4.4.2 in order to avoid all my changes in 4.4.3 (SWN) - as I said, I had problems with 64bit compiler ~ the mouse was much much slower if the program had crashed.

Well... waiting for feedback of annoyances or broken mappers. Thanks guys. :mrgreen: