RockNES - beta testing anyone? [UP: April 3rd]

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

oRBIT2002

Re: RockNES - beta testing anyone? [UP: April 3rd]

Post by oRBIT2002 »

I gave this a quick try and my first question is, is there a reason you have this "DOS-look" of your menus and filerequester?
Personally I find it pretty confusing with a program that uses a design that differs alot from the OS that I'm running.
tepples

Post by tepples »

oRBIT2002 wrote:is there a reason you have this "DOS-look" of your menus and filerequester?
The look was inherited from GEM on the Atari ST. Allegro was originally for the ST until it was ported to DOS and then other platforms.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Well, it's stated in the main page of the wiki:
Before considering developing your own NES emulator, ask yourself if your efforts may be better spent helping out those who already have emulators in development!
About the menu, well...

a) I'm too lazy for DirectX programming. :oops:
b) Allegro library is my reference (and it'll always be). :roll: 8-)
c) Nobody has offered help to improve my emulator. :cry:
d) ...? :?: :?: :?:

For some reason, the menu style is a huge problem. It keeps away a lot of people just because it's not a Windows-looking-standard (is this correct, tepples?). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
tepples

Post by tepples »

One thing you can do to fix up the look of your menus is to load a proportional font and install that as Allegro's system font.
oRBIT2002

Post by oRBIT2002 »

Personally I am a little bothered with GUI's that doesn't meet modern guidelines (for sometimes no obvious reasons) but hey, that's just me. :)

If I was limited in this aspect, not being able to use the standard Windows-look-and-feel I would perhaps go for a totally different kind of GUI that enriched the experience in some other way to attract users.

Anyway, cool to see that you're still active coding on your emulator. You've been doing it for quite a few years now? I started A/NES (for AmigaOS) in 1997 and I'm still checking out the code from the time to time, I'm starting to feel pretty old.. :)
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

oRBIT2002 wrote:Personally I am a little bothered with GUI's that doesn't meet modern guidelines (for sometimes no obvious reasons) but hey, that's just me. :)

If I was limited in this aspect, not being able to use the standard Windows-look-and-feel I would perhaps go for a totally different kind of GUI that enriched the experience in some other way to attract users.

Anyway, cool to see that you're still active coding on your emulator. You've been doing it for quite a few years now? I started A/NES (for AmigaOS) in 1997 and I'm still checking out the code from the time to time, I'm starting to feel pretty old.. :)
I'm active since 1998, or 17 years for this emulator. ^_^;; Well, I don't mind about the GUI, but what matters is the emulation accuracy.
zeroone

Post by zeroone »

Mapper 090 issues:

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

WTF!? :shock: :shock: :shock:
zeroone

Post by zeroone »

Zepper wrote:WTF!? :shock: :shock: :shock:
@Zepper I'm also experiencing difficulty implementing mapper 090. Can you describe how you are using the nametable registers?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I solved it. Thanks anyway.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

I added TURBO mode for the 4 buttons. ^_^;; It was hard to figure out a effective method, but I guess it's ok. Just a note: you can enable/disable turbo for a certain buttom, but NOT mapping a separate key for it.

Now moving to the next task - triple buffering without having to restart the emulator. It's possible, since the gfx mode already brings a flag indicating if triple buffering is supported. So, the setup occurs after the gfx mode, and not before it.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

It's already fixed, thanks.
zeroone

Post by zeroone »

The status bar at the bottom of the screens in Flintstones, The - The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak! (USA) shakes.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

1. Bug in GUI:

Rocknes 5.20RC4 doesn't remember "Vertical Retrace Sync" option selected by GUI.
You must set "-use_vertical_retrace 1(0)" manually in RockNES.ini to enable(disable) it.

2. Custom resolutions request:

Forced 640x480 resolution with original blitter 2 (unstretched 512x480) looks VERY NICE on 16:9 displays.
I've tested it on 1366x768 laptop and 1920x1080 desktop.
The display does interpolation with stretch (like TV), so output image looks better than any existing rocknes blitters.
So, you need to select *insert your preferred resolution* again and again in GUI. This is really uncomfortable.
Or you need to change RockNES.exe properties via Windows compatibility menu to force 640x480 mode.
This is better, but only 640x480 is avaliable.