It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:46 pm 

You are right, i clampled to [-32768, 32767] and now volume works great.
Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, im still learning. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 pm 

Anes wrote:
You are right, i clampled to [-32768, 32767] and now volume works great.
Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, im still learning. :-)

Excellent.

Anes wrote:
Anyway i still don't understand what it's refered with "weights": can somebody explain me please??

A weight is a constant used in a sum to give some elements more or less influence on the total than others. For example, an average of 4 numbers could be expressed as (a + b + c + d) / 4, which is equivalent to 0.25 * a + 0.25 * b + 0.25 * c + 0.25 * d. Each 0.25 value is a separate weight and in a weighted-average, the values do not have to all be equal, but they still must add up to 1. Most of these filters can be expressed as weighted-averages of certain values. For instance, see the code for the simplest discrete low-pass filter here. The filter line of code is:

Code:
y[i] = a * x[i] + (1-a) * y[i-1];

a and (1-a) are the weights, which total to 1. x[i] is the latest sample, y[i] is the filtered result and y[i-1] is the prior filtered result.

For the biquad cascade IIR filters, this was used.

Code:
y[n] = b0 * x[n] + d1;       
d1 = b1 * x[n] - a1 * y[n] + d2;       
d2 = b2 * x[n] - a2 * y[n];

In this case, a1, a2, b0, b1 and b2 are the weights. y[n] is the filtered result, x[n] is the latest sample value and d1 and d2 are intermediate values that are maintained. By repeating those 3 lines above in a loop with different weights, any IIR filter can be realized. And applications like Matlab and GNU Octave can be used to compute the necessary weight values.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 pm 

Im trying to understand and im getting closer i think, but the wiki exposes:

Code:
// Return RC low-pass filter output samples, given input samples,
 // time interval dt, and time constant RC
 function lowpass(real[0..n] x, real dt, real RC)
   var real[0..n] y
   var real α := dt / (RC + dt)
   y[0] := x[0]
   for i from 1 to n
       y[i] := α * x[i] + (1-α) * y[i-1]
   return y

It calculates "α" in the line:

Code:
   var real α := dt / (RC + dt)

RC and dt what are those values?? Searching with google it seems to be a hz value. In that case what hz values should i use??
I don't understand why it returns a "y", i tought the propouse of this pseudo-code was filling an output buffer given an input buffer.
if i have 48 float "x" array samples i should get 48 float "y" arrays.

As you can see im kinda lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:55 pm 

Anes wrote:
RC and dt what are those values?? Searching with google it seems to be a hz value. In that case what hz values should i use??
I don't understand why it returns a "y", i tought the propouse of this pseudo-code was filling an output buffer given an input buffer.
if i have 48 float "x" array samples i should get 48 float "y" arrays.

In the pseudocode snippet, the variable x is the input array of samples and the variable y is the output array of samples. The code does not modify the input array values. And, the input and output arrays will be the same length.

The for-loop does the filtering using 2 weights. Note that it uses y[i-1], a prior computed output sample. In the youtube video, this concept was demonstrated using time-delay blocks and taps.

Directly above the pseudocode snippet in the wiki link are some formulas you need. dt appears as delta T in those formulas. The cutoff frequency in Hz is defined as fc = 1/(2 * Pi * RC), which can be rearranged to RC = 1 / (2 * Pi * fc). Also, alpha = (2 * Pi * dt * fc) / (2 * Pi * dt * fc + 1) and fc = alpha / ((1 - alpha) * 2 * Pi * dt).

dt is the time between samples, the reciprocal of the sampling frequency (in Hz). This is just filtering code, not decimating code; as mentioned, the input and output sampling arrays are the same lengths.

Using the above formulas and definitions, the function could be rewritten to accept the input samples, the input sampling frequency and the cutoff frequency, instead of dt and RC.

Also, the function could be modified to process one sample at a time instead of array of input samples. From the input sampling frequency and the cutoff frequency, alpha can be computed ahead of time. The formula within the for-loop would be applied only once to transform a single input sample into an output sample. And, the computed output sample would have to be stored for the next time the function is called (substituted in place of y[i-1]).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:17 pm 

Code:
for i from 1 to n
    y[i] := α * x[i] + (1-α) * y[i-1]

so taking into account the filter part, how to i get α?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 pm 

zeroone wrote:
so taking into account the filter part, how to i get α?

That's alpha. See the formulas in my prior response.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 am 

zeroone wrote:
Using the above formulas and definitions, the function could be rewritten to accept the input samples, the input sampling frequency and the cutoff frequency, instead of dt and RC.

Sorry, i don't know how to do it. It would be better to have more knowladge to make clever questions.
I preciate the time you wasted trying to make me understand this thing, but it really goes out of my "spectrum".

thxs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:05 pm 

While testing, I ran into performance issues with denormal numbers in Java. This was resolved by setting ultra tiny values to 0. I am mentioning this to aid anyone who stumbles upon the filtering code that I posted earlier in this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7