INL NSF mapper 31 test ROMs

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

INL NSF mapper 31 test ROMs

Post by rainwarrior »

There are a few new releases coming up that will use the Infinite NES Lives NSF mapper that was first made last year that ended up getting assigned as iNES mapper 31. In preparation, I made some test ROMs to probe the current level of emulator support. If anybody needs them in the future, here's a set of test ROMs in all possible sizes:

31_test_16...1024.nes (see attached)
2a03puritans.nes (info and src)
pico.nes (info and src)

The test ROMs should correctly display their size, and a "pass" result for all banks and mirrors. It should also correctly state whether the system was powered on or soft reset. (The mapper automatically sets the high bank to $FF at power-on, but reset does not, so a reset should leave it at bank 0 which the test finishes with.)

Source code is attached too, in case it's useful.
Attachments
31_test_roms.zip
test ROMs
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
31_test_src.zip
source code for mapper 31 test ROMs
(8.13 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
Last edited by rainwarrior on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nIghtorius

Re: INL NSF mapper 31 test ROMs

Post by nIghtorius »

Thanks,

Because of it I came to learn about the fact that this mapper format also supports CHR-ROM. I thought that it only supported CHR-RAM.
rainwarrior

Re: INL NSF mapper 31 test ROMs

Post by rainwarrior »

The iNES format has always let you specify CHR-RAM or CHR-ROM, regardless of mapper. There are very few mappers where replacing one with the other would be a structural conflict. I don't know why, but several emulators force mappers to be only CHR-RAM or CHR-ROM instead of using the header spec.

In the case of the board, it's only been used with CHR-RAM. I'm not sure if CHR-ROM might require a small modification to the board, but it might be irritating to do because the chips are QFP. You'd have to ask InfiniteNESLives about that. Setting up CHR-RAM at start up is kind of trivial, though. Like, less than 20 lines of code?