It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:57 pm 

My emulator is still experiencing problems with NMI timing and I'm comparing it to Nintendulator's log to better understand the issues.

Here's a snippet of Nintendulator's log for 7.nmi_timing.nes:

Code:
E0DC  2C 02 20  BIT $2002 = FF                  A:44 X:00 Y:00 P:27 SP:F6 CYC:330 SL:240
E0DF  10 F4     BPL $E0D5                       A:44 X:00 Y:00 P:A7 SP:F6 CYC:  1 SL:241

The CPU in my emulator runs one CPU cycle at a time as opposed to advancing by the cycle length of each instruction. (It is based on this link.) And, for testing purposes, I can advance the PPU by 3 PPU cycles (for NTSC) before advancing the CPU by 1 CPU cycle or vice versa.

Nintendulator could print each statement just prior to the first CPU cycle of each instruction or immediately after the first CPU cycle. Meaning, it could print out the statement before the opcode fetch or after it. The effect is the same as running the PPU 3 cycles in advance of the CPU or after it.

The BIT instruction takes 4 CPU cycles to complete and it starts on PPU cycle 330, toward the end of the scanline, just before PPUSTATUS.7 is set. The read from the immediate address ($2002) occurs on the fourth CPU cycle. The break down should happen something like this:

Code:
CPU cycle 1 :: PPU cycles 330, 331, 332
CPU cycle 2 :: PPU cycles 333, 334, 335
CPU cycle 3 :: PPU cycles 336, 337, 338
CPU cycle 4 :: PPU cycles 339, 340,   0

According to the NTSC PPU Frame Timing Diagram, PPUSTATUS.7 is set on PPU cycle 1 of scanline 241. How is that captured by BIT?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 am 

zeroone wrote:
According to the NTSC PPU Frame Timing Diagram, PPUSTATUS.7 is set on PPU cycle 1 of scanline 241. How is that captured by BIT?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these tests assume a certain PPU-CPU alignment. It could be the case that no emulator will ever get all the tests to pass without also simulating those alignments (and the reset behavior that selects between them). To my knowledge, no emulator even attempts to emulate more than one alignment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:40 pm 

beannaich wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these tests assume a certain PPU-CPU alignment. It could be the case that no emulator will ever get all the tests to pass without also simulating those alignments (and the reset behavior that selects between them). To my knowledge, no emulator even attempts to emulate more than one alignment.

Nintendulator and Nestopia consistently pass all of Blargg's NMI tests. And, a real NES supposedly can pass them all also.

In my emulator, Battletoads stage 2 freezes at random points due to an occasionally missed sprite 0 hit. I'm pretty certain it's a consequence of NMI timing since it fails Blargg's tests. At that point in the log, my emulator has yet to set PPUSTATUS.7. I do not understand why Nintendulator set it even after studying its source code.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:16 pm 
Formerly Fx3

It's a matter of PPU timing - if it's clocked before or after a CPU read/write. Yes, it does a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:56 pm 

Does Nintendulator run the CPU one CPU cycle at a time or does it jump ahead by the number of cycles in each instruction? The way the source is organized seems to suggest the second option, but I could be reading it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:05 am 
Formerly Fx3

AFAIK, it does cycle by cycle, and the NTSC PPU runs for 3 cycles at each CPU memory access (read/write). It has, however, a frameskipping feature, but no clue if related.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 am 

I think I finally understand how Nintendulator produced that output. The CPU drives the PPU and APU. Every CPU cycle is associated with a memory read or a memory write. The CPU updates the PPU and APU in the read and write functions just prior to the memory access. It is structured in this unusual way because of the DMC transfer, which must wait for a read cycle. In addition, this CPU design avoids the need to maintain a state machine; instead of tracking the instruction cycle, it just counts the number of memory accesses after an instruction completes for timing purposes.

The scanline cycle number printed out in the log is the last PPU cycle that executed, not the next PPU cycle to be executed. So, the sequence behaves as follows:

Code:
CPU.BIT
  CPU cycle 1 (read)
    PPU cycle 331
    PPU cycle 332
    PPU cycle 333   
    Instruction Fetch
  CPU cycle 2 (read)
    PPU cycle 334
    PPU cycle 335
    PPU cycle 336
    Address low fetch
  CPU cycle 3 (read)
    PPU cycle 337
    PPU cycle 338
    PPU cycle 339
    Address high fetch
  CPU cycle 4 (read)
    PPU cycle 340
    PPU cycle   0
    PPU cycle   1
    Value fetch
    Apply BIT to value

To produce the same logs, I would have to modify my CPU to execute in that sequence. I am currently using a state machine. Nintendulator's CPU design likely runs a lot faster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:02 pm 
Formerly Fx3

See? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm 

I transformed the state machine in my CPU implementation into the model used by Nintendulator. And, I subsequently was able to compare logs to patch the NMI issue. My emulator now passes all the vbl_nmi_timing test roms.

I moved onto the ppu_vbl_nmi tests. It currently fails 07-nmi_on_timing.nes. But, Nintendulator fails as well in exactly the same way:

WTF?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:30 pm 
Formerly Fx3

It's a perfect timing about setting the VBlank flag 1 cycle before/after NMI enable ($2000 write). Plus, you can't set NMI on PPU cycle 0 (right after the 341th cycle).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm 

After patching the NMI issues, my emulator still experiences problems with Battletoads stage 2. It does not seem to freeze any more, but occasionally the player and the enemies become invincible; neither can attack each other, rendering the stage unplayable after that happens. Also, in The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants, the status bar at the bottom of the screen shakes.

My emulator seems to pass all the NMI and sprite 0 hit tests that Nintendulator passes. Can anyone suggest a test ROM that I should try?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm 
Formerly Fx3

zeroone wrote:
After patching the NMI issues

So, what was the problem?
Quote:
my emulator still experiences problems with Battletoads stage 2. It does not seem to freeze any more, but occasionally the player and the enemies become invincible; neither can attack each other, rendering the stage unplayable after that happens.

Are you sure about NOT allowing presses like up+down or left+right?

Quote:
Also, in The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants, the status bar at the bottom of the screen shakes.

I'm quite positive it's related with MMC3 IRQ timing.

Quote:
My emulator seems to pass all the NMI and sprite 0 hit tests that Nintendulator passes. Can anyone suggest a test ROM that I should try?

Nope. :( Mine has the same problems... and I'm looking for something more precise for testing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:15 pm 

Zepper wrote:
Are you sure about NOT allowing presses like up+down or left+right?

Interesting. Actually, I did not add such a check. What makes you think there is a connection?

Edit: I just ran some tests. Pressing up+down in the Wookie Hole (stage 2) kills the player instantly. Pressing left+right creates the invincibility state that I described above. Also, I see that the wiki lists this as a known issue. Zepper, I think you might have solved one of my problems! Thanks.

Edit 2: With that check in place, Battletoads stage 2 runs fine. Thanks so much. As for what I did to the NMI issues, I only got it to perform as well as Nintendulator as mentioned above. And, that was achieved by making my emulator generate the same log format and then doing repeated diffs. The source code for Nintendulator provided many answers. For the Simpsons, I think it uses MMC2, not MMC3. I'll investigate the possibility that it is a mapper issue rather than an NMI issue. Thanks again.

Edit 3: Further testing revealed that it can still freeze. Nonetheless, this solved a contributor of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:52 am 
Formerly Fx3

Code:
Filename....: Simpsons, The - Bart Vs. the Space Mutants (U).nes
Format......: NES
Mapper......: 001 (MMC1)
Data size...: 128K PRG ROM (8 x 16K banks)
             (PRG CRC $6F10097D)
              128K CHR ROM (16 x 8K banks)
Horizontal mirroring.
Battery data: no
Trainer.....: no
4-screen....: no
VS System...: no
PlayChoice10: no

File size: 262160 bytes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 am 

I stand corrected: MMC1. But, more importantly, it is not an MMC3 issue.