Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

unregistered

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm
unregistered wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:44 pmyour excellent debugger's Code>"Performance Tracker ($xxxx)">Disabled is always checked.
Yea, I'm aware of this one - it's a dumb technical limitation (the "Code" menu is actually a copy of the disassembly's right-click menu, in which the option is selected properly) that I haven't found a neat solution to and don't think the issue is important enough to write some more code just to fix this specifically (vs finding a more general solution.)
Ah, makes sense. :)
Sour wrote:
unregistered wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:24 amI was wondering why, after loading a .cdl file, mesen’s Program Counter gets relocated?
It's just due to the way this is coded, it forces the game to finish the current frame before it reloads the CDL and regenerates the disassembly cache. It's fixable, though, but is this really an issue? I don't imagine many people frequently manually load external CDL files..
It just forces me to restart the game sometimes while debugging. Now that you’ve explained it, maybe it will be less of a “problem”. (It’s not a big problem... your numerous debugger options usually help return to the debugging point to be quick and painless.)

It may be only me; I don’t use fasm so I manually load external CDL files; after learning how you created CDL files to work, it’s really fun and beneficial, for me, to manually edit them. :)
Sour

Post by Sour »

unregistered wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 amIt may be only me; I don’t use fasm so I manually load external CDL files; after learning how you created CDL files to work, it’s really fun and beneficial, for me, to manually edit them. :)
If you're generating the .cdl file as part of your build process, you should just be able to write the .cdl file next to the .nes file & enable the "auto-load .cdl files" option in the workspace options of the debugger to avoid having to load the .cdl file manually after having started debugging.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 pm
unregistered wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 amIt may be only me; I don’t use fasm so I manually load external CDL files; after learning how you created CDL files to work, it’s really fun and beneficial, for me, to manually edit them. :)
If you're generating the .cdl file as part of your build process, you should just be able to write the .cdl file next to the .nes file & enable the "auto-load .cdl files" option in the workspace options of the debugger to avoid having to load the .cdl file manually after having started debugging.
Thank you Sour! :D Often, my computer is sleeping when I’m not using it... and so Mesen debug remains open as I use it for many days at a time. Gtg.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Suggestion: If one maximizew the emulator window, the position is not saved after restarting. Any chance to keep the window maximized?

Also, in the log window it displays CRC32 of PRG alone but not of CHR alone instead it's combined PRG+CHR.
Can you add single CHR CRC32 as well? :)
Maybe add board type as well, if possible.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour, or anyone else, how can I remove a mistyped Watch entry? I typed

Code: Select all

[9C,2]
, but I’m unable to remove/edit that line bc Mesen always gives a long message that starts with, “An unexpected error has occurred.” So, now there’s an immovable line with a red “<invalid label>”; all it needs is a ‘$’; though, this seems impossible to fix... it’s not much of a problem, can just use the next line, but just wanted to let you fix (if it needs fixing) before 1.0.0.0 is released. :)

Note: Version 0.9.9.0 is being used now.
Sour

Post by Sour »

unregistered wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pmI’m unable to remove/edit that line bc Mesen always gives a long message that starts with, “An unexpected error has occurred.”
Thanks, this should be fixed in the latest dev build now.
Ice Man wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pmSuggestion: If one maximizew the emulator window, the position is not saved after restarting. Any chance to keep the window maximized?
I'll add it to the list of requests.

As for a separate CHR CRC, I don't really see too much value - I've actually recently discovered that a good chunk of the time used to load/reload a rom in Mesen is caused by the fact it's calculating a ton of different CRC types (MD5, SHA1, etc.) to support a variety of stuff. I've recently replaced the CRC32 implementation by a much faster one to reduce the impact, but I'd still rather not add *more* CRC calculations to the load process (if anything I'm more likely to remove some and only calculate them when absolutely needed)
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Thanks!
What if you only calculate the CRC if someone opens the log window to have it display? This shouldn't interfer with ROM loading too much, I think.
Otherwise I'd just remove the CRC check completely since the NES didn't have any checksum anyway. At least not that I know. :P
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Some kind of checksum has to be calculated before running the game to look it up in the database for correct header information.
dink

Post by dink »

Hi Sour, I have a silly question regarding nmi timing:
I'm trying to understand proper nmi timing. Let's take for instance: SMB (or just about any game) - if you look in the event viewer, the nmi happens on line 241 between cycle 26 and 33. What's the logic behind the thing that causes the nmi to be delayed like that. I know older emulators would run X-amount of cycles before the vbl on line 241 to make some games happy (marble madness, b-wings, bad dudes, etc). I want to know what the hw-accurate way to know which cycle to run the nmi on. from what I can tell, Mesen is running the nmi @ cycle 0 on 241 (in ppu.cpp), which is even more confusing because PPUCTRL is 0x80 @ 241 cycle 0 :) I hope you or someone can shed some light on the logic behind this one.

best regards,
- dink
Sour

Post by Sour »

dink wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pmif you look in the event viewer, the nmi happens on line 241 between cycle 26 and 33. What's the logic behind the thing that causes the nmi to be delayed like that.
The NMI/IRQ dots in the event viewer correspond to the first cycle of the first instruction of the NMI/IRQ handler, not the timing at which the IRQ or NMI flag was set nor the time at which the CPU registered the NMI/IRQ.

In practice, this means the dot is 21 pixels late (because the NMI/IRQ handle takes 7 cpu cycles, iirc). Add to that the jitter caused by the current instruction needing to finish before you can jump to the IRQ/NMI handlers and 26 to 33 dots sounds about right in most scenarios.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

dink wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pmif you look in the event viewer, the nmi happens on line 241 between cycle 26 and 33. What's the logic behind the thing that causes the nmi to be delayed like that.
The timing variation from frame to frame comes from the fact that once the PPU requests an NMI, the CPU has to finish executing the current instruction before it can carry out the interrupt, so the exact timing will depend on how many cycles are left to execute of the current instruction. The extra 21 PPU cycles are there because it takes time for the CPU to push the current PC and status flags to the stack and jump to the address indicated in the NMI vector. This takes 7 CPU cycles, or 21 PPU cycles (in NTSC).
dink

Post by dink »

Sour, tokumaru,
Thanks for the explanations :)

best regards,
- dink
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm
unregistered wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pmI’m unable to remove/edit that line bc Mesen always gives a long message that starts with, “An unexpected error has occurred.”
Thanks, this should be fixed in the latest dev build now.
You’re welcome. :) Thank you so much Sour; using 0.9.9.13 now, it’s much smaller than 0.9.9.0 :D; am now able to follow selection with pressing del on keyboard and that entire Watch line disappears! :) Wonderful! :D
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

While testing some other games I noticed that the english translation of Spelunker II - Yuusha e no Chousen doesn't work properly. It's mapper 2 with 257KB = UOROM. Not sure if the translation has bad coding or if it's on Mesen's side but thought I'd mention it.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Ice Man wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 pm While testing some other games I noticed that the english translation of Spelunker II - Yuusha e no Chousen doesn't work properly. It's mapper 2 with 257KB = UOROM. Not sure if the translation has bad coding or if it's on Mesen's side but thought I'd mention it.
I haven't been able to make it work, but I'm also not sure what rom it's expecting, either. Just applying the ips file to the regular game makes the game instantly jump to a section full of invalid opcodes, so I'm assuming that's incorrect. But it's most likely a question of the IPS not being applied to the right rom, or the patch being broken somehow, I'd say. Unless you're saying you've been able to get it to run on another emulator? I tried FCEUX but got the same issue.