Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Ice Man

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Ice Man »

Weird. I redownloaded the patch, expanded the ROM, applied the IPS and now it's working. And the only difference is the iNES header at x06 being 21 (vertical mirroring) instead of 20 (horizontal mirroring).
dink

Post by dink »

HB-Commercial Game: Nebs 'n Debs / https://www.nebsndebs.com/

On first load, sound is normal. After pressing reset the game seems to incorrectly detect PAL/NTSC (I'm guessing?) and the music speeds up.

It's not a big deal, really. And I realize there might be nothing you can do due to the game being commercial and costs $10, but as far as software goes - it's the best $10 I had ever spent. At least, maybe someone that bought the game can check it in the debugger to see if it is an emulator fault or game fault.

best regards,
- dink
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Or, try PMing the author of the game yourself, though he wasn't active here for a year now.
dink

Post by dink »

Gilbert, I considered that, but I noticed a trend - once someone gets a large chunk of cash from kickstarter, they disappear from forums for a while.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Without access to the game, this is essentially impossible to debug, unfortunately. Is it a NROM (mapper 0) game? Or does it use a common mapper? If so, it seems somewhat unlikely that there would be a bug in the reset logic that somehow only affected this game.
Broke Studio
Formerly glutock

Post by Broke Studio »

dink wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 am Gilbert, I considered that, but I noticed a trend - once someone gets a large chunk of cash from kickstarter, they disappear from forums for a while.
Maybe that's because they work hard and are really focus on other projects.
I know I'm not really active here, but I still check what's going on once in a while.
I'm pretty sure Chris will answer if you contact him, here or via twitter/email whatever.
My first game : Twin Dragons available at Broke Studio.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Just sent in a tiny little pull request to fix a minor bug that happens to nobody.

I also had a big adventure with trying to get the program to build correctly, and if I didn't rebuild all pieces of the entire program, I would get heap corruption that would cause Win32 API calls like UpdateWindow to crash.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Sour

Post by Sour »

Dwedit wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:35 pm Just sent in a tiny little pull request to fix a minor bug that happens to nobody.

I also had a big adventure with trying to get the program to build correctly, and if I didn't rebuild all pieces of the entire program, I would get heap corruption that would cause Win32 API calls like UpdateWindow to crash.
Thanks for the fix, just merged it.

Have you found the cause/solution for the heap corruption issues? That definitely seems suspicious. There is one stupid caveat to the current build system in visual studio that causes some files to be missing after you clean the solution and build the first time (due to some files not included in the executable because of the build order of the projects, etc.), which means you need to hit the build button twice after a clean. This just causes the C# to crash on an exception complaining about the resource file for the UI being missing, though, rather than a heap corruption crash (so probably unrelated to your issue)
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

Do you plan to fix mapper 19 emulation?
Dragon Ninja is having issues and the translation of Kaijuu Monogatari as well.
fourtwenty9

Post by fourtwenty9 »

Can I make a suggest? :D
Can you implement kailerra for netplay? I guess is the best and is much more easier to use with low input lag, thanks!
Sour

Post by Sour »

Ice Man wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:03 am Do you plan to fix mapper 19 emulation?
Dragon Ninja is having issues and the translation of Kaijuu Monogatari as well.
You shouldn't assume that I know a bug exists in the first place :p
In this case, though, it sounds like another issue someone else reported a few weeks ago (I think this was by e-mail) - basically it's most likely just the old heuristics Mesen uses to "guess" which chip variation the game needs, and some games don't work properly with it (I need to fix it.) If you set NES 2.0 headers with the proper mapper & submapper (and work ram, etc.) values, it should work (just make sure it's actually a mapper 19 game, since historically this mapper has been confused with other similar namco boards)
fourtwenty9 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:14 pm Can you implement kailerra for netplay? I guess is the best and is much more easier to use with low input lag, thanks!
Somehow a lot of people keep asking about netplay lately, but unfortunately I do not have any plans on changing/improving the netplay implementation anytime soon. The current implementation works for a lot of scenarios, and doesn't work very well in a lot of others. If you need better netplay right now, I recommend trying out retroarch, it may work better for your needs. As for Kaillera itself, I am not interested in adding support for that specifically - it's no longer maintained, the original server is closed source, and the open source Kaillera server project is also dead.
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

The person that mailed you was me. :P

I'm afraid that did not work. I recall the issue was because of mirroring (at least for Dragon Ninja).
Kaijuu Monogatari's English translation uses 256KB PRG and 128KB CHR and starts glitching at the name select and onwards.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

I found a fairly nasty little bug in the Lua Script Editor. It is reproducible as follows:

- Open Script Window
- Create a new script (myLuaScript.lua)
- Save it (myLuaScript.lua)
- Select Built-in Scripts
- Select any Built-in Script
- Make any change to Built-in Script
- If [X] Auto-Save before running is checked, just hit Run
- Otherwise Hit Save

Congratulations! Your (myLuaScript.lua) script has now been overwritten by the Built-In example Script! Bye bye work!

I figured i would share / warn everyone doing LUA scripting to be careful, and hopefully this can get fixed next release or so.

Anyway i am enjoying Mesen and LUA scripting alot (when they don't get overwritten) so i just want to end on a positive thank you! Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Reposted to Issues in github repo

EDIT 2: Fixed in the next build. Thanks Sour!
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

A new translation came out which isn't supported by alot of emulators because it exceeds the PRG limit of mapper 159, iirc.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5482/

Would you be so kind to make this game work? :D
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

That translation hack is too broken to deserve being emulated in its current form. In addition to the oversize PRG-ROM, it also writes to $6008 to bankswitch PRG-ROM. The LZ93D50 ASIC that the original circuit board used however only responds in the $8000-$FFFF address range; the $6000-$7FFF address range is only used by the predecessor ASIC; the FCG-1/2. All occurrences of "STA $6008" should be replaced with "STA $8008". Please, do not emulate this translation until at least that address issue is resolved.