Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Sour

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Sour »

The latest dev builds should be pretty stable - I've been fixing bugs as they are reported for the past month or 2 (and haven't been doing much else). It should be pretty safe to use it - though save states compatibility was broken at some point, so 0.9.7 states can't be loaded anymore (and I may have to do this one more time before releasing 0.9.8).

I meant to release 0.9.8 over a month ago, but been haven't had the time to tie up the last few loose ends and make a proper release.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Sour wrote:The information about function start points is stored in the CDL file that it saves in the Debugger subfolder.
You can reset it in Tools->Code/Data Logger or by deleting the CDL file (note that this will make the disassembly lose track of which parts of the ROM is code vs data (until those parts of the rom are run again), but that's probably a good thing if you've changed the code a lot.
Sour, thank you so much! :D

Note for others: the Code/Data Logger is only in the Debugger's Tools menu. Resetting its log removed all of the old "sub start"s! Yeay! :D
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I have a question regarding the latest build. It is possible that compared to the official one that full speed (F9) is slower? It feels that way on linux, not sure why. It seems to skip less frame at full speed. odd.
Sour

Post by Sour »

"Official" releases are optimized by PGO and are typically 15-30% faster than the appveyor dev builds, so yes, that's probably normal in this case.
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

Hi Sour,

Thank you for your hard work on Mesen ! I running Chinese Win10 64bits OS. Mesen default Chinese language. Can I change it to English language ? I can't find it on Mesen's setting. Thanks.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Sour

I see. Then I will only use the debug version when I have bug I cannot work around then. Thanks for confirming!

@Tomy

I will answer for Sour since I had to do a few time. The answer is yes, you just go in the 3rd menu (option in English), then from this menu you select the last one, which is "preference". In the first tab (general), the first option wichi is a dropdown should be called display language and the default option is to "User account default", which means uses the OS language.

If you change to English from that dropdown, it will be always in English from that point. It should be the first choice in the list, unless the order change when displayed in Chinese. Hope it helps!
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

@Banshaku

Oh, yes, foolish me. I found that option now. Thank you.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

When running the fill mode test of this MMC5 test rom Mesen shows white and red numbers.

Fill mode should show a single color for all tiles right? It looks like Mesen writes the fill mode color as 8 bit value (03) in the attribute table instead of filling the byte with the value 4 times (FF).
Sour

Post by Sour »

And you're absolutely correct! Wonder how I managed to miss that considering I've run that test a bunch of times before.
It's fixed as of the latest commit - thanks for the report!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Seems like the Famicom keyboard keys "[" and "]" are swapped in the input dialogue. They are labelled correctly but mapped wrong (just try typing "[ ]" in Family BASIC V3 for example). Other keys appears to be alright.

Also the keyboard keys on the host side are lacking things like separate left and right Ctrl and Shift, and the AltGr key works like a Ctrl+Alt combination for example (Return and Enter are separate though). This is especially annoying when using the Famicom keyboard. I guess this is a problem with the input library though.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Thanks, the inverted brackets should be fixed.

As far as I can tell left/right keys being treated as the same key was done on purpose when I implemented customizable shortcuts.
e.g if you bind "open file" to "Ctrl+O", you most likely expect it to work regardless of which ctrl key you press (this is more or less the case in pretty much all Windows applications)
There are a number of scenarios (e.g this) where it might make sense to distinguish between both of them, but I can't really see a simple way of implementing both of these requirements in a way that's obvious and user friendly (at best it could probably be a global option? but I'm not sure if this is useful enough to warrant an option)
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah well I think most people would like the emulated inputs to treat each key as unique while interface inputs like the shortcuts should not, so my first thought would be to handle them separately.
In those cases you want multiple keys to act the same for emulated inputs, like if you want both Ctrl keys to work as the Famibe keyboard's CTR or to be able to use numpad numbers the same as the number row, there are already 4 key-sets that can be used for alternate keys.

Alternatively one could add alternate key-sets for the shortcuts as well. If the input dialogue says "Left Ctrl" people will not be surprised that the right Ctrl does not work as well.
Sour

Post by Sour »

Pokun wrote:Yeah well I think most people would like the emulated inputs to treat each key as unique while interface inputs like the shortcuts should not, so my first thought would be to handle them separately.
I guess that's one way to separate them, but I'd have to check to see how easily it can be done, since all the input logic is shared between both types of keybindings (and there's also some Windows and Linux specific code involved here). I'll add to the list of things to check/fix.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

hi Sour,

In your Mesen Nametable Viewer, what does a persistant red latticework over an entire screen (actually, over two "screens" represented by nametables 0 and 2 bc of vertical mirroring) mean? The screens are being drawn correctly underneath that red latticework, but it never goes away until we stop drawing screens; obviously, this results in nothing being displayed on the emulated game screen until the red latticework goes away.

Could the reason be that screens have to stay an entire frame or so before being shown?

Thanks for reading :)
Sour

Post by Sour »

You probably have the "Highlight tile updates" option enabled at the bottom of the nametable viewer?