Mesen - NES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Controllerhead

Re: Mesen - NES Emulator

Post by Controllerhead » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:55 am

lidnariq wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 pm
It might deal better with three PLA ? And it's only barely slower, 12cy instead of 10.
Good idea! Still broken though. But hey, 2 byte savings! Optimal for JSR if you don't want to return conditionally.

EDIT: I thought about it. The call stack should probably handle if/when a return address gets altered or overwritten. That seems appropriate.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Fiskbit wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:45 am
This can be done with the "Mark selection as..." option in the right click menu either in the memory tools or the debugger's disassembly view, though the latter has the shortcoming that it can't be done on a byte-by-byte granularity.
tokumaru, to speed up the “Mark selection as...” process, and to also be allowed to edit “on a byte-by-byte granularity”, simply open your rom’s .cdl file with your hex editor.

The .cdl file is kept in Mesen’s “Debugger” folder. To find what byte to edit, use Mesen’s Debugger’s address list on its left side. If, for example, it says “DD80 [3D]” at the spot you want to edit, simply search “3DD80” in your hex editor. (The cdl address always begins with the digit(s) in [] and ends with that 4digit hex code’s last 3 digits.)

Oh, .mlb, in same folder, can be edited with a text editor to do all sorts of cool display things.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Ooh, I use .cdl hex codes:

If bit7 is set, that marks the start of a function.
If bit0 is set, that makes the code active (or makes it appear like it has already been run).

A hex code of #$02 specifies that the byte is part of a data section.
A hex code of #$00 specifies that the byte is part of unknown code... will be most likely hidden under a thin red box.

Sour replied to me, in this thread, about all the different cdl bit’s meanings, but the ones listed are the only cdl values I use. :)

He also replied to me, in this thread, about the interesting .mlb file and how it’s used. Search for that knowledge; it’s quite helpful, to me, at least. :)