It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:17 am 

Hi erverybody

I'm currently trying to develop a FPGA-Implementation of a NES and i need your help understanding the timing between the CPU and the PPU.

Let's say i write to PPUDATA (sta $2007), having PPUADDR at $00 and PPUCTRL.2 at 0, the CPU puts 2007 on the address-bus and set the ChipSelect-Pin for the PPU. Since the PPU runs 3 times faster than the CPU, the CS-Pin is low for 3 PPU-Cycles. But when i read from VRAM on every PPU-Cycle and increment PPUADDR according to PPUCTRL.2 when /CS is low i will get the totally wrong behavior (an increment by 3). How does the actual PPU work that it increments PPUADDR only one time when the signals at the address-bus and the /CS-Pin stay for more than 1 cycle?

Am i going right that every 3rd rising edge of the PPU-Clock is in sync with the rising edge of the CPU-Clock?

Greetings
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:06 pm 

Let's start off with something first: the NES was not intentionally set to run in a unified clock domain. Everything was designed as using standard 1980s asynchronous logic, and it just happens to be something that can be thought of synchronous behavior on edges.

Feuerwerk42 wrote:
Let's say i write to PPUDATA (sta $2007), having PPUADDR at $00 and PPUCTRL.2 at 0, the CPU puts 2007 on the address-bus and set the ChipSelect-Pin for the PPU.
Pedantically, it's the 74'139 on the mainboard that drives the PPU's chip select.
Quote:
Since the PPU runs 3 times faster than the CPU, the CS-Pin is low for 3 PPU-Cycles.
The PPU's /CS pin includes M2, so it's only low for 1 ⅞ cycles. Alternatively, it's low for 7½ master clock cycles.
Quote:
But when i read from VRAM on every PPU-Cycle and increment PPUADDR according to PPUCTRL.2 when /CS is low i will get the totally wrong behavior (an increment by 3).
It doesn't do the read on every edge of the pixel clock. Nor is it doing the read on every edge of the master clock.

For your purposes, you can think that it does the read on the rising edge of PPU/CS.

You should try playing around with Visual2C02. In this case, a write to PPUDATA drives node "/w2007" low, which starts an FSM (starting with node "write_2007_trigger")

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:17 am 

Hi lidnariq

lidnariq wrote:
Let's start off with something first: the NES was not intentionally set to run in a unified clock domain. Everything was designed as using standard 1980s asynchronous logic, and it just happens to be something that can be thought of synchronous behavior on edges.

The PPU's /CS pin includes M2, so it's only low for 1 ⅞ cycles. Alternatively, it's low for 7½ master clock cycles.

You're right, that clears some of my misunderstanding of the relation between CPU and PPU.

lidnariq wrote:
You should try playing around with Visual2C02. In this case, a write to PPUDATA drives node "/w2007" low, which starts an FSM (starting with node "write_2007_trigger")

Ok, Visual2C02 and i are still not friends but now i understand reading and writing to the IO-Ports a bit better.
I found both nodes and see their changes but i can't figure out what happens in consequence using the diagram.
Wow, i never thought that i takes 6 ppu cycles to read from VRAM. But that opens another big question to me:

The IO-Ports of the PPU are accessed by the CPU like normal RAM (e.g. LDA $2007)
In CPU cycle 1 the address 2007 is put on the address bus, so address 7 arrives at the PPU
About 1 Halfcycle later /CS at PPU goes low (triggered by 74'139) which starts the FSM to read from VRAM (if i understand Visual2C02 correctly)
The CPU now expects the read VRAM value at the end of cpu cycle 2. That gives the PPU about 3 ppu cycles or 12 master cycles to read from VRAM and return the requested value on the databus to be in time. But Visual2C02 show me that it takes 6 ppu cycles. How can that fit together?

Greetings
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 am 

Reading from VRAM is delayed by an entire instruction. Reads go into some sort of "buffer", then come out on the next read. Reads will first return whatever is sitting on the bus (usually the contents of the last read, or something that was just written to some PPU register), then the next read will return the requested value.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:57 am 

Dwedit wrote:
Reading from VRAM is delayed by an entire instruction. Reads go into some sort of "buffer", then come out on the next read. Reads will first return whatever is sitting on the bus (usually the contents of the last read, or something that was just written to some PPU register), then the next read will return the requested value.

Reads from $2007 come from a dedicated 8-bit latch (inbuf0..7 in Visual2C02), while reads from any write-only register retrieve whatever's on the internal data bus. It's writes to $2007 that float on the bus until the PPU is ready to write them to VRAM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:32 pm 

Didn't realize there was an actual latch for this, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:51 pm 
Formerly Fx3

EDITED: fixed the order! The CPU read gets the last latched value!
EDIT 2: fixed the latch concept, thanks Q.

I wasn't understanding Q in a first moment... then I got it. 8-)
Code:
value = latch_2007
latch_2007 = Read($2007)
-------
Write($200x) //latch_200x gets the last value written.
Read(200x):
value = latch_200x

Last edited by Zepper on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:03 am 

Ahhh, that clears a lot.
Thank you guys for your help. :beer:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:30 pm 

Zepper wrote:
EDITED: fixed the order! The CPU read gets the last latched value!

I wasn't understanding Q in a first moment... then I got it. 8-)
Code:
value = latch
latch = Read($2007)
-------
Read($200x)  //read and throw it away.
value = latch

To clarify, the $2007 read latch is only returned when you actually read from $2007 - if you read any other write-only register, you get a different "latch" which is actually just whatever values were sitting on the PPU's internal data bus (and is generally the same as the last value you read/wrote from/to any of the other "valid" registers).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:09 am 
Formerly Fx3

Quietust wrote:
To clarify, the $2007 read latch is only returned when you actually read from $2007 - if you read any other write-only register, you get a different "latch" which is actually just whatever values were sitting on the PPU's internal data bus (and is generally the same as the last value you read/wrote from/to any of the other "valid" registers).

Yes, I edited my original post. According to my notes, probably from blargg:
Code:
 PPU read
   Addr    Open-bus bits
           7654 3210
   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
   $2000   DDDD DDDD
   $2001   DDDD DDDD
   $2002   ---D DDDD
   $2003   DDDD DDDD
   $2004   ---- ----
   $2005   DDDD DDDD