It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:16 am 

I found zsnes and genecyst way back and thought emulators were really fascinating, so I wanted to give it a try myself. After a long time of off and on coding, it's finally starting to get somewhere!

As to be expected, it's still super barebones, missing important features (like dmc and irq) and only has some hastily added mappers beyond 0 (2 and 7) but hey! It runs super mario.
There's no binary because it's really not that interesting to try for anyone else, haha. If someone really wants to see it, I've put the code on github. Novice coding warnings and all that. It's slow and probably doesn't work on linux since I can't try the alsa code myself.

Thanks to everyone contributing to the wiki and to people posting here! I haven't asked very many questions myself, but I've found heaps of helpful posts by searching some. That's what makes this project possible.

Some screenshots -
Image Image Image

(I see now that the last column of pixels are wrong in excitebike. Hmm. Gotta fix that one!)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 am 

In before koitsu asks "Why are you starting a new emulator, as opposed to helping with a more established emulator?"

Another question: Which software license had you planned to use? If not sure, the GNU project provides some pointers.

Have you tried installing Xubuntu in VirtualBox?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:22 am 

tepples wrote:
In before koitsu asks "Why are you starting a new emulator, as opposed to helping with a more established emulator?"

I guess most people aren't interested in making the "best possible emulator", but actually in trying to learn more about computer architecture while running games they're fond of. There's also a sense of accomplishment in building from the ground up a piece of software that can run those classic NES games, that one simply doesn't get from contributing to an existing emulator.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:27 am 
NESICIDE developer

tokumaru wrote:
I guess most people aren't interested in making the "best possible emulator", but actually in trying to learn more about computer architecture while running games they're fond of. There's also a sense of accomplishment in building from the ground up a piece of software that can run those classic NES games, that one simply doesn't get from contributing to an existing emulator.

+1 :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 am 

tepples wrote:

Haha, I think tokumaru's thoughts on the subject fits well. I was starting to get into C++ and making an emulator was something I've always wanted to do.

Quote:
Another question: Which software license had you planned to use? If not sure, the GNU project provides some pointers.

I haven't thought much about licences as this is mainly just a project for myself. There's also better emulators out there to steal code from! /s
I'll take look, thanks.

Quote:
Have you tried installing Xubuntu in VirtualBox?

I haven't thought of that one. Maybe I should give it a try!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:30 pm 
Formerly Fx3

tokumaru wrote:
I guess most people aren't interested in making the "best possible emulator" (...)

By judging Nestopia requests (accuracy) and FCEUX (tool), I have to disagree.
There's no problem of writing a new emulator; otherwise, we wouldn't have puNES or that 3DNES, for example.