RockNES - NES emulator for Windows [5.54] 09/23/2017

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: RockNES - NES emulator for Windows [5.53] 08/08/2017

Post by lidnariq »

Zepper wrote: Both games work with no glitches, but is the exact same board?
Yes.

Pedantically, there are two subtle variations in the 800032 PCB (called 42826 and 42826-1 by BootGod), but they only have subtle routing differences around R3 and R4, specifically concerning support of 28-pin 128 KiB CHR. Furthermore, NesCartDB already has instances of Klax and Rolling Thunder on both PCB variants.
Alyosha_TAS wrote:How rare are these carts? I'd be willing to pitch in some money towards getting them in the hands of someone who can do some exhaustive hardware testing and pinning down the exact behaviour. Maybe they are slightly different? Maybe the behaviour is still more complicated then we expect?
Not terribly rare—I believe I could just pick one up at the local retrogaming store for something around $10 to $20—but I don't have the patience to figure out how to make the test cases to establish what's going on. The most I'd be willing to offer is making a flashcart and sharing logic analyzer traces for each of the games (and any test cases that other people write), showing the exact relative timing of writes, M2, PPUA12, and /IRQ ... but for the games we already know when the IRQs are supposed to be asserted, don't we?
Alyosha_TAS

Re: RockNES - NES emulator for Windows [5.53] 08/08/2017

Post by Alyosha_TAS »

lidnariq wrote: Not terribly rare—I believe I could just pick one up at the local retrogaming store for something around $10 to $20—but I don't have the patience to figure out how to make the test cases to establish what's going on. The most I'd be willing to offer is making a flashcart and sharing logic analyzer traces for each of the games (and any test cases that other people write), showing the exact relative timing of writes, M2, PPUA12, and /IRQ ... but for the games we already know when the IRQs are supposed to be asserted, don't we?
I'd be willing to write test ROMs, the things that need to be tested are all pretty easy to set up in a clean slate environment.

We know when the IRQ's should be asserted but not how to get the timer to assert IRQs correctly for every game with consistent timer behaviour.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: RockNES - NES emulator for Windows [5.54] 09/23/2017

Post by Zepper »

New version. Please, check the first post.