It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Do we need to add Nametable Address Detection for the recent FCEUX or Nintendulator?
Poll ended at Thu May 12, 2016 4:55 am
Yes 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:43 pm 

So it's about detecting substantial literal copies from a consecutive stream in PRG ROM to the VRAM write port within a short time, correct?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 pm 

What's with the thread creator, the Nintendo Nametable compression format and asking for features all the time. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:03 pm 

Zepper wrote:
Oh, I though you really had some interest in such implementation in an emulator... Sorry.

If you mean ''Oh, I though you need someone to implement nametable compression detection, But I misinterpeted, I apologize.'', That's forgivable.

And Punch: As I said this is a poll, not an actual request for this forum, it's a reassurance:

If it passes, I contact the FCEUX team about it at thier SourceForge page,
If it does not pass, I do nothing about it, Plain and simple

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 pm 

tepples wrote:
So it's about detecting substantial literal copies from a consecutive stream in PRG ROM to the VRAM write port within a short time, correct?

That is the correct answer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 pm 

Because I don't want to send a poorly defined bug to FCEUX's bug tracker, I held my vote back until the feature became well defined. But with that reply, I vote Bernie yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm 

Bernie

Oh, you are in Indiana.

Edit. He's projected to win (Indiana), with 53%.

Sorry for drifting off topic.

Last edited by dougeff on Tue May 03, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:48 pm 

I'm going to build a Nintendo metatile map editor and make Hamtaro pay for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 pm 

Punch wrote:

These off-topic, bad jokes are getting out of hand... AND if this was in any other forum, people can easily get in trouble more for posting shit like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:40 pm 

Hamtaro126 wrote:
Punch wrote:

These off-topic, bad jokes are getting out of hand... AND if this was in any other forum, people can easily get in trouble more for posting shit like this.

Talk about having no sense of humor. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:47 pm 

dougeff: I forgive you.

Punch: Apologies for being grumpy, just please don't go overboard next time... The main reason is because of certain people, but that is another story entirely!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:02 pm 

Don't get me wrong, though, I think it's great that you made a tool and are sharing it.

The negative part of my response is only about whether it should be a standard feature on either of these two emulators.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:07 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Don't get me wrong, though, I think it's great that you made a tool and are sharing it.

The negative part of my response is only about whether it should be a standard feature on either of these two emulators.

I actually think you did not read where the first post states that RVEACH made it, not me,

All things considered, You have a good point, It is just a fork, but a good (and totally outdated) one.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm 

Suggestion for the tool:

I seems to just say "ROM Addresses" in a window called "Detail Window" that opens when I select "Nametables" from the "Debug" menu, this is the feature you're talking about, right?

From what I can tell, I hover over a tile in the nametable, and it's providing me a guess as to where it might appear in the ROM or RAM?

In the couple of games I tried, it seems very noisy, and kinda points to erratic places. I don't know quite how it's trying to follow, is it just telling me the address of the longest matching string in ROM to that location in PPU memory? If that's what it's actually displaying, my suggestion is that it should tell you the number of bytes matched, as well, so you can understand a bit more about what it's matching to.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:17 pm 

Hamtaro126 wrote:
I actually think you did not read where the first post states that RVEACH made it, not me,

All things considered, You have a good point, It is just a fork, but a good (and totally outdated) one.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was your work.

Also this seems to be a rather large change to the debugging stuff, not just an addition of this one feature.

Do you think you could give an example of this feature being used effectively? I tried a few games at random (e.g. SMB) and it was just giving me junk values as far as I can tell (not that I really expected much from it), but what games does it actually work with?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:07 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
Hamtaro126 wrote:

Oh, sorry, I thought this was your work.

Also this seems to be a rather large change to the debugging stuff, not just an addition of this one feature.

Do you think you could give an example of this feature being used effectively? I tried a few games at random (e.g. SMB) and it was just giving me junk values as far as I can tell (not that I really expected much from it), but what games does it actually work with?

Did you try actually using the correct nametable and not it's respective mirror?

It can work with any game as far as I know, I used it on Super Mario Bros. 2, which worked fine!