nestest - something wrong?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

bzm8

nestest - something wrong?

Post by bzm8 »

Hello!
I'm currently working on a small NES emulator for learning purpose and trying to test my CPU.
When I run the nestest.nes it works fine until (from nestest-1.log)

Code: Select all

// nesttest-1.log
CE42  68        PLA                             A:69 X:7E Y:01 P:27 SP:7E CYC:269 SL:258
CE43  68        PLA                             A:39 X:7E Y:01 P:25 SP:7F CYC:281 SL:258
CE44  BA        TSX                             A:CE X:7E Y:01 P:A5 SP:80 CYC:293 SL:258
The Problem i think is that somehow a PLA gets ignored since at CE44 the Accumulator should have the value 0xCE.

// My result
[CE42] - A: 69 X: 7E Y: 01 P: 27 SP: 7E
[CE43] - A: 69 X: 7E Y: 01 P: 25 SP: 7F
[CE44] - A: 39 X: 7E Y: 01 P: 25 SP: 80
I have no idea where this comes from since the tests works fine with PLA and the other instructions until that point.
Running the test again in nestopia also gets the correct results.
I wonder how this can happen when everything works fine before 0xCE42 (stack Operations etc).

Since I'm writing my emulator in ASM and handle writing to the memory with byte ptr ds: and word ptr ds: could it be that i have to switch something
or create one function for push8 and one for push16 instead having it in one?

cpu_push		proc	USES eax ecx 			pValue:WORD, pSize:BYTE
	mov cx, 100h
	or cl, CPU_REG_SP
	invoke cpu_write, cx, pValue, pSize
	sub cl, pSize
	mov CPU_REG_SP, cl
	ret

cpu_push endp

cpu_pop			proc	USES ecx 			pSize:BYTE
	mov cx, 100h
	or cl, CPU_REG_SP
	add cl, pSize
	mov CPU_REG_SP, cl
	invoke cpu_read, cx, pSize
	ret

cpu_pop endp
are my stack functions.
I hope someone can help me!
Regards,
koitsu

Re: nestest - something wrong?

Post by koitsu »

Perhaps an easier method would be to print out the contents of the stack (or at least 16 bytes of it; say, 8 bytes before and 8 bytes after (as well as including) whatever S (what you call "SP") is) after every instruction executes.

Possibly the problem isn't with your pull operations, but with your push operations (pushing the wrong value on the stack, or possibly things are off-by-one).

Nestopia's register contents, I believe, are printed at the time the instruction is encountered (i.e. has yet to be executed).

In your case, I would expect to see $CE43 having A=$39, but it doesn't until an additional PLA is done. To me, that indicates possibly an off-by-one situation somewhere.

We have a page on the 6502 stack here: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Stack -- the main article, as well as "Pushing values" and "Pulling values" are relevant (the rest isn't entirely relevant to this specific discussion subject).

I think your issue may be deeper -- note that not only A is incorrect, but so is P. So you may have something bigger/more problematic going on outside of just your pull routine. Sadly, you're the author, you understand all the variable names and code, so... :-)

You can use something like http://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/ to play around with identical code and examine things each step of the way. Alternately I would suggest stepping through things in FCEUX or Nintendulator, as both have quite good debuggers. Here's some code you can use that's more or less akin to the situation:

ldx #$80
txs
lda #$ce
pha
lda #$39
pha
lda #$69
pha
pla
pla
bzm8

Post by bzm8 »

Hey,
Thanks for your fast answer !

Well the the value of P differs too because of the wrong load.

in PLA after popping a byte from the stack the byte gets testetd and the Zero and Sign flags are
getting set depending on the results.

I've did what you've said with the Stack printing and I think I have found a bug:

[JSR: C600  SP:FD] // Before
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF C5 00 00 00 00 00 00
[JSR: C7DB  SP:FB] //After
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 C6 00 00 00 00
Somehow my Stack functions are wrong (I've recoded it in a damn ugly way and it works now but i have to clean it up).

This is the write part fromt he RAM:

@ram:
	and cx, 7FFh
	mov esi, CPU_RAM
	cmp pSize, SWORD
	je @F
	mov byte ptr ds:[esi+ecx], al
	ret
@@:	mov word ptr ds:[esi+ecx], ax
	ret
and the read Part:

@ram:
	and cx, 7FFh
	mov esi, CPU_RAM
	mov ax, word ptr ds:[esi+ecx]
	cmp pSize, SWORD
	je @F
	xor ah, ah
@@:	ret
somehow if i use my old push/pop functions it places the value wrong into the stack ( I think it's a placement/logic mistake that my brain doesn't notice at the moment).
If I'm correct it works this way
for push 8Bits:

-> Write the 8Bits to SP|0x100
-> Increase SP by 1
for pull 8Bits:

-> Decrease SP by 1
-> Read 8Bits from SP|0x100
Anyways if i do it like this:

push16:
-------
push8 ah
push8 al

pull16:
------
pull8
push ax
pull8
pop bx
xchg ah, al
mov al, bl
works so far.

BUT I'm still wondering what the exact issue is and if it's not possible to stick to my old function with a slight change.
The reason for that may be stupid but if i would do it my old way I would save a whole call of
the function to pull something from the stack since I could pull 16Bits directly from the stack.

Regards,
iOSBrett

Post by iOSBrett »

This is a pretty old thread, but the OP never posted what his issue was.

I encountered the same issue in my Swift NES emulator at exactly the same address. Everything else with PHA, PLA was working up until here.

The issue turned out to be that I had implemented JSR and RTS incorrectly. In JSR I was pushing the program counter to the stack without incrementing it. The only reason it had worked up until this address was that RTS was also incorrect, I hadn't incremented the program counter after pulling it from the stack. Spent a couple of hours on PHA, PLA until I came across this thread and took koitsu's advice to print the stack.

Also koitsu was correct:
Possibly the problem isn't with your pull operations, but with your push operations (pushing the wrong value on the stack, or possibly things are off-by-one).
Updating the thread in case someone else has same issue.