Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun / Kid Dracula

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Fisher

Re: Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun / Kid Dracula

Post by Fisher »

How similar is NES mini to other hardware?
Maybe would be possible to install other OS, wich could support other emulators.
It would be funny to run a MegaDrive or MasterSystem emulator on a Nes mini. :lol:
Since I saw no value in this hack I simply removed it.
So I was lucky to get this ROM!
Many thanks for that!
It's a shame that due to misuse it had to be removed. :cry:
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tokumaru wrote:I wouldn't even know where to begin hacking a compiled emulator, but I have the impression that hacking a modern program like that would be much harder than hacking a small 6502 program.
It's not hugely different, a very similar set of skills, but just experience with a different platform. Think about all the people doing "cracks" for modern games; they deal with this stuff on a regular basis, and succeed. The assembly code produced for modern platforms can be a little bit more complicated, but a lot of the methods for disassembling and understanding it are basically the same. Modern platforms tend to have good debugging tools, too.
madmega wrote:
Bregalad wrote:is the effort really worth is, when you can just play the game on another emulator ?
Yes, but this is the Mini NES we are talking about, there is as we speak no option to alter the emulator.
The reminds me of another option: replace the NES mini software entirely with a different emulator that already supports it. That's probably a lot easier than trying to hack functionality into the existing one.

Edit: Fisher just suggested this above, more or less. Missed the extra page, apparently.
madmega

Post by madmega »

If someone wants to help the author of hakchi2, he has no skills in fully disassemble the emulator of the Mini NES.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hakchi2-nes ... ol.456256/
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

I don't see a brutal difference between playing the game in a PC + HDMI... or with the mini NES + HDMI.
Romhacking ain't a goal here.

Bear with what Nintendo built.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

rainwarrior wrote:The assembly code produced for modern platforms can be a little bit more complicated
I always imagined that the assembly would be much more complicated, considering the amount of libraries, layers and overall bloat present in modern software.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tokumaru wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:The assembly code produced for modern platforms can be a little bit more complicated
I always imagined that the assembly would be much more complicated, considering the amount of libraries, layers and overall bloat present in modern software.
If the libraries are external, like in a DLL or something, they tend to be explicitly named and well known. You get used to the relevant libraries with experience. (A lot of hacks and mods are actually done by replacing DLLs, too, since it's a clean connection point to change something with known functionality.)

I mean, I'm not saying that modern code isn't bigger and more complex than 6502 code, just by the size of executables alone you can see there's a lot more in there nowadays, but to make small changes you only have to understand a small part of it. It's a fairly manageable problem, and there exist good tools for this kind of work.

If you're not experienced with the system, there's a lot to learn at first, but this is equally true if someone inexperienced in NES development wanted to attempt a VRC4 to MMC3 hack.
madmega wrote:If someone wants to help the author of hakchi2, he has no skills in fully disassemble the emulator of the Mini NES.
I really was only answering the question asked (i.e. "what's the difficult way to do it?"). I wasn't making any offer to actually do the work. I don't own an NES mini and didn't want one precisely because of the problem you're having now with it.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Well, it was suggested in other thread, I think by Tokumaru: Raspberry Pi!!
Even it or a mini PC on a cool case, as stated by Zepper there's no brutal difference.
And as a bonus, I think that the emulators on the suggested platforms are far superior from the one inside NES mini.
Looks like I really won't get one NES mini too, mostly because of the limitations cited by Rainwarrior, and also because it's VERY overpriced.
madmega

Post by madmega »

Well 70 euro and fun for the kids ;-)