It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Check out my emulator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:07 pm 

I just put together a website for my emulator:
http://nemulator.com

Not too much there now, other than the emulator, of course, but I plan on putting up some tutorials and other stuff (if you have any ideas, let me know). The tutorials will be aimed at newbie NES emulator developers, but will hopefully be of use to everyone. The first will be on PPU emulation, then I think I will do one explaining how to use blargg's sound library with DirectSound (since I saw the question asked a while ago).

I've been working on the emulator on and off since 2003, so, in any event, it will at least be nice to track it's progress here.

Source code is not up yet, but will be soon.

Oh yeah, the emulator :D... It has it's issues, which you can read about on the website, but all-in-all, I'm happy where it's at. Give it a try if you have a chance and if you have any comments about it, please let me know.

Thanks,
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:29 pm 

Your emu is working fine. :)

Got one tip for you though:
It sounds like you are writing to a sound block while it's playing, causing distorted sound occasionally.
Before flushing sound to the output buffer, check and see if the block you're writing to is currently playing. If so, sleep for a few milliseconds and then try again.
Perhaps you're already doing this, but that's what it sounded like. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:35 pm 
Can you try it in full-screen mode and see if you still hear the distortion. I think this is actually being caused by delays introduced in the windowed v-sync routine.

Or it may be because I've set the DirectSound buffer too small -- I haven't tested on a wide-range of hardware configurations.

Thanks for trying it out!

James

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:06 pm 

Its nice (much better than mine) and i have seen you are emulating emphasis bits (i think not found in jnes).
One question: are you using scanline or pixel rendering?

One issue: you should take a look to reset rutine, i loaded "popeye" and reset didnt worked.

Kepp the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:14 pm 

Thanks!

re: emphasis bits -- I'm not emulating at this time -- what makes you say so?

I am using scanline rendering. I've seen the reset bug pop-up before. Did you load an MMC1 game before popeye? I think that's when I've noticed it.

Thanks for taking a look at it and commenting!
James

Post subject: reset
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:13 am 

I thought you were using emphasis cos the colours were very different to my colors (your colors look like FceUltra), i think you are using a different pallete that the one im using.

Reset: no, i didnt load a MMC1 rom. Only no mappers

About sound: im now emulating sound in my emu and i have seen that a 1024 * 64 (64kb) dsound channel buffer and using DSBLOCK_FROMWRITECURSOR dont produce any distorded sound. Maybe you are playing with DSBLOCK_ENTIREBUFFER. Im not to good programming with sound and i dont know how you are implemeting it, but you could try.

im using scanline method too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:28 am 
I'm keeping track of the write cursor myself and calculating how much room is left so I don't overwrite the play cursor. Do you hear distorted sound? If so, in windowed mode or fullscreen?

James

Post subject: windowed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:42 am 

i hear it in both modes, WinXP SP2, directx 9.0c, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.
Maybe that can help, do you hear distorsion in your machine/pc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:40 am 

hmm... interesting. I occassionally hear it in windowed mode (though not since I updated the code in version 1.01), but never in fullscreen. This is on both my laptop (WinXP) and my workstation (Win2003). I'll take a closer look at my DirectSound code, but I don't think I'm overwriting the play cursor...

My other guess is that the sound buffer is simply set too low (50ms currently). In the next version, I will make it adjustable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
James