Ghostbusters - noise reset problem? [SOLVED]

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Ghostbusters - noise reset problem? [SOLVED]

Post by Zepper »

In my emulator (RockNES), the game Ghostbusters has a weird problem with the noise channel. First loading is fine. Now, if I load any other game, then reload the Ghostbusters, the noise channel becomes active after the title screen, like a quick continuous noise ticking sound.

No matter a soft/hard reset, the problem remains there. Any hints?
Attachments
Ghostbusters_wav.zip
(430.18 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by Zepper on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nesrocks

Re: Ghostbusters - noise reset problem?

Post by nesrocks »

I'm in the proccess of hacking this game. I noticed that it was supposed to have a noise channel for the music, the pointer is there and all, but it seems to contain empty data. I haven't had time to figure out the sound data format yet. There is also a problem with the sfx for when you shoot the staypuft marshmallow man in the boss fight. That sfx is a noise channel effect, and it sometimes gets into an infinite loop. I changed some bytes semi-randomly and it fixed the bug, although now that sfx uses some of the next sfx for data, so it's not ideal but it's working for now...

From my notes:
0x4F3D: music channel pointers
0x4F46-5BBF: music
0x5C09: changed from $40 to $14 to "fix" the puft sfx

About your emulator, the looping is just occurring more frequently than it does on other emulators. If you open the game on fceux or mesen for example, the noise channel is still looped, but on a much coarser time frame, taking about 5 seconds to loop instead of that machine gun like sound on yours. Maybe that's a hint in the right direction.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: Ghostbusters - noise reset problem?

Post by Zepper »

Found the problem. For some reason, the last value on $400C was unchanged on reset/power up. So, I had to force a $400C:$00 write on reset/power up. Problem solved.
Dude111

Post by Dude111 »

Ahhh interesting...

Isnt that something??

Glad ya got it corrected :)