What NES hardware/software is currently unemulated?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

NewRisingSun

Re: What NES hardware/software is currently unemulated?

Post by NewRisingSun »

Yes, MAME supports Dual Vs.

As for Barcode Readers, a more convenient interface at least for the Datach variant would be to allow the user to select a barcode from a pre-made list of codes, in addition to allowing the user to input a custom barcode as a number. Each Datach game (except Crayon Shin-chan) came with 40 character cards, without the code being printed on them as a number, and a user-friendly emulator would allow them to be selected by name. Unfortunately, I only have the code list for Datach Dragon Ball Z (from a website), not for any of the other games.
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

Is the Game Action Replay documented? I have one but no idea if it's really documented anywhere, I know they are not common and have a limited lifespan due to the battery inside
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

The NES Port Test Cart requires an unemulated accessory in order to pass, discussed here. There's also the peripheral that activates the SRAM check in Megami Tensei II. Both of these are really only good for novelty purposes, but they're totally unemulated, AFAIK.
blurayno

Post by blurayno »

I found some info about the Study Box just now, there seem to be a whole lot of it even in wikipedia. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to translate the article... maybe tomorrow.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B9 ... F%E3%82%B9
tepples

Post by tepples »

The PowerPak and EverDrive themselves aren't emulated. Would it even be practical to emulate an FPGA based on its bitstream?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Not really.

Maybe given a flashcart where the bitstream was sufficiently documented ... but even then, I'd bet real-time emulation of the bitstream would be comparable in computational load to Visual2x0x.