It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 823
Location: New York, NY
davecom wrote:
what is the best Mac NES emulator with a debugger? It seems like the emulators with good debuggers are Windows/Linux only. What do the Mac users here use? I see old forum threads, but I'm wondering what's in vogue as of 2018 on the Mac.


Give Nintaco a try.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 2129
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
@Koitsu,

I don't really care which name they use, for me OS X is the OS for the Mac, that the only part I need to know. As for talking regarding apple, this can be done in another thread instead of derailing this one :)

For the code, I was close! That was the other one I found but since I did only a quick 10 minutes search and didn't know about icon per model, I just went with a guess. Thanks for the history class, love those thing!

@Davecom

Mesen for now doesn't work with Mono 5 installed from brew. Will continue to test (and update the mesen thread).

Edit:

I should have known, Tepples created a topic for the naming "issue" :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posts: 22
I guess the reason you should care that it's "macOS" and not "OS X" nor anything else is for consistency (it looks better) and so that future readers of the Wiki know what they're looking at. It's very possible young readers of the Wiki in a couple years will not know what "OS X" means. "macOS" is the official name and therefore probably what should be used. I'm happy to do a find and replace to fix it on the emulator page but after I created an account I found "You do not have permission to edit pages in the Page namespace."

koitsu wrote:
My point was that a classic Mac user (read: from the 80s) would know how silly it would be to hem and haw over "Mac OS" (with a space) vs. "OS X" vs. "macOS", and thus, arguing capitalisation and spacing semantics (esp. when most of those emulators were probably from 2016, which during late of was when Apple marketing decided to switch from "OS X" to "macOS") was sad -- hence, sad Mac. If a person says "OS X" we know what they mean, if they say "MacOS" when talking about present-day software/Macs, we know what they mean; the pedantry isn't necessary but is funny (to me) since Apple is effectively going back to the original name (sans a space and capitalisation -- again, who cares?) as their System 1 through 9 software. ;-)

Super off-topic as mentioned: as for the crash codes shown: it depends on the model of ("classic") Mac, and *when* the crash/issue happens. I remember that 0x0F meant an exception error, and that the remaining part of the code (or the code on the 2nd line) represented a detail/state code that was more indicative. I had to do some digging, but here you go. From that you should be able to discern that the Mac depicted is probably a Mac SE or Mac II indicating code 0x0000000F (exception error), subcode 0x0000000D (SCC failure; SCC = Zilog SIO (serial controller) used for controlling the serial ports). SCC isn't a new term to me, since the smae chip is on the IIGS (an 8530) -- and I sure hope I'd be familiar with it, considering I wrote a IIGS CDA back in the early 90s called QuickPort II that allowed setting the serial port >19200bps, haha. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: Mountain View, CA
davecom wrote:
I guess the reason you should care that it's "macOS" and not "OS X" nor anything else is for consistency (it looks better) and so that future readers of the Wiki know what they're looking at. It's very possible young readers of the Wiki in a couple years will not know what "OS X" means. "macOS" is the official name and therefore probably what should be used. I'm happy to do a find and replace to fix it on the emulator page but after I created an account I found "You do not have permission to edit pages in the Page namespace."

Not all the emulators on there are known to work with newer versions of Apple's operating system, i.e. some may only work on older versions of OS X. What's even worse (and may surprise you) is that a lot of software of that sort doesn't list off the system requirements anywhere in GitHub or in documentation, it just says nebulously "works on OS X" (which as well all know, isn't always true; what worked in 10.10.x might not work in 10.13.x). It would make the most sense to list off what exact OS version is supported, but as said, it's not always denoted in the program's documentation (if any). So saying "macOS" by itself is still kinda vague, if the argument is "future readers may not know what OS X is/was", but you have a good point. I wish software authors were better about their documentation :\

Wiki admins have to grant you access to do edits. It's part of the process, as it ensures that bots (or nefarious people) can't edit the pages with junk or spam, which used to happen constantly. I've marked your account as a "confirmed user" which should allow you to edit pages.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posts: 22
koitsu wrote:
davecom wrote:
I guess the reason you should care that it's "macOS" and not "OS X" nor anything else is for consistency (it looks better) and so that future readers of the Wiki know what they're looking at. It's very possible young readers of the Wiki in a couple years will not know what "OS X" means. "macOS" is the official name and therefore probably what should be used. I'm happy to do a find and replace to fix it on the emulator page but after I created an account I found "You do not have permission to edit pages in the Page namespace."

Not all the emulators on there are known to work with newer versions of Apple's operating system, i.e. some may only work on older versions of OS X. What's even worse (and may surprise you) is that a lot of software of that sort doesn't list off the system requirements anywhere in GitHub or in documentation, it just says nebulously "works on OS X" (which as well all know, isn't always true; what worked in 10.10.x might not work in 10.13.x). It would make the most sense to list off what exact OS version is supported, but as said, it's not always denoted in the program's documentation (if any). So saying "macOS" by itself is still kinda vague, if the argument is "future readers may not know what OS X is/was", but you have a good point. I wish software authors were better about their documentation :\

Wiki admins have to grant you access to do edits. It's part of the process, as it ensures that bots (or nefarious people) can't edit the pages with junk or spam, which used to happen constantly. I've marked your account as a "confirmed user" which should allow you to edit pages.


Thanks for the access, and I understand your argument about old versions but for consistency I would suggest making them all macOS. I will for now just update the ones we know work under the latest version to be macOS, but really it is probably not helpful to use multiple names on the same page.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posts: 22
zeroone wrote:
davecom wrote:
what is the best Mac NES emulator with a debugger? It seems like the emulators with good debuggers are Windows/Linux only. What do the Mac users here use? I see old forum threads, but I'm wondering what's in vogue as of 2018 on the Mac.


Give Nintaco a try.


Thanks, yeah I'd tried Nintaco before and wasn't in love with its UI, but it's probably the best we've got.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 am
Posts: 852
Mednafen seems to run on macs too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:46 pm
Posts: 823
Location: New York, NY
davecom wrote:
Thanks, yeah I'd tried Nintaco before and wasn't in love with its UI, but it's probably the best we've got.


What features are you looking for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posts: 22
zeroone wrote:
davecom wrote:
Thanks, yeah I'd tried Nintaco before and wasn't in love with its UI, but it's probably the best we've got.


What features are you looking for?


Like I said, a nice UI :) but seriously Nintaco seems to have most of the features I will need. Specifically it shows PPU registers as you step which is where I think my current problem lies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posts: 22
calima wrote:
Mednafen seems to run on macs too.


Can you point to the location of Mac builds? I don't see any on the official website.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 2129
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Since it is a command line based emulator, you should be able to install it with brew.

For the wiki, if you could find the information about the macOS emulators and see on which version of the OS they can be run that would really be of great help for the wiki. This would help future users. I had the same issues when I did some programming with a Mac but since I came from a windows background and knew about the one with debuggers, I just figured out it was faster to just run them under wine. A good native emulator for mac with a debugger would be nice to have, especially performance and UI wise.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group