Try out my nes emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

imid

Try out my nes emulator

Post by imid »

I've been working on a nes emu this summer and have gotten to a somewhat playable state. I've pushed my code to github at
https://github.com/dgrigoriou1/NES-Emu
I've added support for mappers 1,2,3,4,7,9,11,13,34,66,71 and 232. There are some irq issues with mapper 4. I'm working on rewriting the ppu before i get back into more mappers. The audio just plain sucks, I usually work with data so this project has been a bit out of my wheelhouse. I'm getting the frequency outputs from the channels and creating 1 second samples at a time that i play through SoundPlayer in .net. I've tried creating samples with the mixer output but the sounds comes out sounding even worse. Soundplayer is the default sound engine included with .net by Microsoft and its not really meant for a continuous buffer. I'm looking into using naudio, if anyone has any experience with that , i could really use any tips on getting it going.
The video is really slow, I'm not using any graphics library now but i am looking into sharpDX. If anyone has any suggestions for a video library for c# please let me know. Its currently drawing a bitmap and showing it in a picturebox. I get about 65-70 fps on my PC but i see it dipping into the 50 fps range on some games. Stretching the image to full screen is just painfully slow with a picturebox, they just were'nt really meant for video.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thank You.