It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:20 am 

Alyosha_TAS: The two test ROMs try to replicate the scroll behavior in Zelda. split_scroll_normal.nes is normal vertical scrolling without the added DPCM delay, with some garbage at the end of the last scanline of the stationary section caused by an early split (which is normal in Zelda). The issue does not occur with this timing. split_scroll_delay.nes adds a variable delay (between 8 and 22 CPU cycles, chosen by 15-bit LFSR) to try to reproduce the issue. This delay removes the garbage and, on real hardware, successfully triggers the glitching seen in Zelda. Here's a clip of scroll_split_delay.nes being run on an Everdrive. I'm not sure why it's not running correctly in VisualNES, but will try to look at that hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Tonight, I created a test ROM that allows for selection with the joypad of different PPU_ADDRESS values for the split, and which utilizes blargg's PPU/NMI synchronization code to target specific dots. I'll post it here when I nail down the timings by testing on real hardware; unfortunately, my Everdrive is still in the mail, so I'm currently relying on others for my hardware testing, which is a significant bottleneck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 am 

split_scroll_normal (H264)
split_scroll_delay (H264)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 pm 

Stepping through the split_scroll_delay video frame by frame, the glitch seems pretty consistent in what it does for each value we write to PPU_ADDRESS. Here, the first number is what we attempted to write to the register, and the second is what it behaved like. I didn't notice any times where one value glitched in a different way. I had to refer to the Twitch clip for G because I didn't see it glitch in this video.

Code:
$0100 (8) never glitched
$0120 (9) -> $0100
$0140 (A) -> $0100
$0160 (B) -> $0100
$0180 (C) -> $0100
$01A0 (D) -> $0100
$01C0 (E) -> $0100
$01E0 (F) -> $0100
$0200 (G) -> $0000
$0220 (H) -> $0000
$0240 (I) -> $0000
$0260 (J) -> $0000
$0280 (K) -> $0000
$02A0 (L) -> $0000
$02C0 (M) -> $0000
$02E0 (N) -> $0000
$0300 (O) -> $0100
$0320 (P) -> $0100
$0340 (Q) -> $0100
$0360 (R) -> $0100
$0380 (S) -> $0100
$03A0 (T) -> $0100

Edit: Notably, the PPU would be advancing to $0100 at the point where the split happens, so I think these results make sense given lidnariq's post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:51 pm 

Alright, i've gotten a grip of my code and annotated it a bit better for easier updating, i hope haha.

I took the liberty to make the text static and moved the triangles somewhere closer to the middle of the screen also.

Quote:
modify the test rom to occur in the middle of the scanline for example?

Could probably do that, but I don't see what that would do? But then again, I'm rusty at NES stuff haha.

Quote:
It would also help to have more geometry so $2006 can be set to different values and see the effects.

Did you have something in mind? I tried placing a square on the second nametable so you can see it moving up/down 1 pixel and shake.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm 

If my hypothesis that this is a bus conflict between the vramaddr_v increment and copying vramaddr_t to vramaddr_v is correct, then it might be possible to coax out bus conflicts in the middle of a rendering scanline too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:47 pm 

Hmmm, this doesn't appear to be quite the same thing as the original tests.

According to my emulator read out, the glitches that would result from the ppu scroll tests would be happening because of the v -> t operation at cycle 257. The previous tests were testing glitches at the increments at 256. In fact, split_scroll_delay amazingly misses 256, hitting 255, 257, and 258 instead.

So, it looks like something is probably happening there too.

Actually, I tried varying power up timing and it turns out that this effects what cycles the glitches hit at. So while it's not impossible that some glitches might be happening on 257, it seems less likely now (since the original tests hit 257 sometimes as well and nothing happened on them.) I think we just need a more comprehensive test for this.

Also curiously, split_scroll_normal is hitting what would be h increments at various points in the scanline, but if it is expereincing any conflicts, we aren't testing them so far.

I'll try to go over this a bit more over the weekend when i have more time.

@fred: yeah as libnariq says, we likely need some cases where $2006 is latching things that would be effecting h at midscaline points. the present tests do not accomplish this (since they are writing things with 0 for those.) It would help if the shapes on a scanline were noticably different, so we can see any glitchiness very clearly.

EDIT: also thanks again Eugene.S for the frame by frame videos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 pm 

Quote:
I didn't notice any times where one value glitched in a different way. I had to refer to the Twitch clip for G because I didn't see it glitch in this video.

All of my tests was recorded on Famicom AV, it have:
RP2A03H - "rev H" CPU
RP2C02H-0 - "rev H" PPU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 am 

Alright, here's a new test ROM for NTSC that hopefully provides enough flexibility to nail this down. It hasn't been run on real hardware yet, but I don't have any reason to think it won't work there.

This ROM uses blargg's PPU/NMI synchronization code to target pairs of neighboring dots, and allows nearly all of the split parameters to be customized with the joypad so it can occur anywhere onscreen and split to any target location. Up/down adjust the split by 113 CPU cycles and left/right adjust by 1. Select changes the nametable for the pre-split region. A/B adjust the value written to PPU_ADDRESS by $20, and start increments it. All of the code paths should be appropriately timed so they won't affect the location of the split. If timings are the same on console, this should start up around scanline 63, dots 252 and 253.

Attachments:
split_scroll_test_v2.zip [7.25 KiB]
Downloaded 86 times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm 

I went over the frame by frame for scroll delay v1 test, and yeah it looks like the glitch is properly characterized by doing the v increment but then '&' the result with the latched value. My emulator gets exact results by doing this. This also still gives correct results for the original 2 tests.

hopefully the v2 test will give final confirmation on this. (On my emulator though it powers up to scanline 64 cycle 255/256)

Then we just need to see if any similar effects happen for h.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:11 pm 

Alyosha_TAS wrote:
I went over the frame by frame for scroll delay v1 test, and yeah it looks like the glitch is properly characterized by doing the v increment but then '&' the result with the latched value. My emulator gets exact results by doing this. This also still gives correct results for the original 2 tests.
Alyosha_TAS wrote:
Also curiously, split_scroll_normal is hitting what would be h increments at various points in the scanline, but if it is expereincing any conflicts, we aren't testing them so far.
I think that the bus conflicts should only be in the "V" bits (0x7BE0) on dot 256, and should only be in the "H" bits (0x041F) in the middle of the scanline. The other bits look like they should be correctly copied from T to V.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:42 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
I think that the bus conflicts should only be in the "V" bits (0x7BE0) on dot 256, and should only be in the "H" bits (0x041F) in the middle of the scanline. The other bits look like they should be correctly copied from T to V.

Yeah that definitely would make the most sense. Would you expect $2005 to behave similarly? That seems like the next obvious choice to test.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:45 pm 

I can record this ROM on Saturday. What values you're interesting?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 pm 

Alyosha_TAS wrote:
Yeah that definitely would make the most sense. Would you expect $2005 to behave similarly?
Let me think this through:

The conflict comes specifically from the copy_vramaddr_Qscroll signal being true at the same time as the inc_vramaddr_Qscroll signal.

inc_vramaddr_hscroll is true on dots 328, 336, and 0,8,16,...248, 256
copy_vramaddr_hscroll is true on dot 257 or on the second write to $2006

inc_vramaddr_vscroll is true on dot 256.
copy_vramaddr_vscroll is true during part of the pre-render scanline, or on the second write to $2006

So, I don't see an obvious way to tickle this on anything but the second write to $2006.

Now, separately ... in the NES, M2 is true for 1 7/8 pixels (7.5 XCy), and the exact amount of overlap of the M2 cycle during dot 256 should have analog effects. The hazard should only happen during pclk1=the second half of each pixel (2 XCy), so ... I'd be idly curious how the four different 2A03-vs-2C02 phases work out. No idea how to set up that test, though.

edit: per this thread, note that ulfalizer's graph needs the CPU cycles to be shifted one by half crystal cycle, there should be three race-y cases:
M2 falls 1 XCy after dot 255 and pclk1 (overlap of 1 XCy ; alignment A)
M2 rises 1.5 XCy after dot 255 and pclk1 (overlap of 0.5 XCy ; alignment B)
M2 rises 0.5 XCy after dot 255 and pclk1 (overlap of 1.5 XCy ; also alignment A)
The remaining two alignments should always have dot 255 and pclk1 happen without an edge of M2 during

edit2: The more I look into this in Visual2C02, the more I'm confused by the "write to $2000 on dot 255" glitch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:39 am 

Yo, sick test fiskbit! That totally obsoletes my crude attempts haha!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 am 

I've thought about it a little... here's a guess as to how the "write to $2000 at the end of a scanline" glitch happens:

* Writes to PPU registers always happen during multiple pixels
* There is no alignment of CPU and PPU such that pclk1 is only true once while M2 is true
* Krzysiobal has found that the data bus is not actually valid when M2 rises
* Blargg found that only two of the four CPU-PPU phases cause it

so...

* CPU writes invalid data (upper byte of address, per capacitance) to PPU register $2000 on dot 257, and this bad value shoots through straight from _db0 to _vramaddr_t10 to _vramaddr_v10 because of timing. Which exact two phases cause this result is unclear ...
* On dot 258, the write is still happening, the data is now valid, and the PPU loads the correct value into T, meaning that it will be copied correctly to V on subsequent scanlines.

If this interpretation is correct, then writing to the PPU register mirror at $2100 should cause the glitchy single scanline to instead source from the right nametable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next