Which NES netplay emulator is most fit for homebrew games?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Which NES netplay emulator is most fit for homebrew games?

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I'm looking for a good NES emulator for homebrew games which I could play with someone over the internet. I wouldn't like to bloat my laptop like I did yesterday with a virus after searching for a tool so that's why I'm asking you if you've been using a good stable NES emulator that doesn't require or requires as least as possible of admin privileges, installations, port forwarding, registering, surveys, etc. in order to be able to play one of nesdev.com community's games online.

The games in question are:
1. Super Bat Puncher Demo
2. Super Homebrew War

Anyone have any recommendations?
Dwedit

Re: Which NES netplay emulator is most fit for homebrew game

Post by Dwedit »

Super Bat Puncher isn't really multiplayer.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thwaite, RHDE: Furniture Fight, Double Action Blaster Guys, and Sliding Blaster are multiplayer, even though they're not on the above list.
Sour

Post by Sour »

For what it's worth, Mesen supports netplay and doesn't need anything special beyond port forwarding for it. You can probably use Hamachi and the like to get around the port forwarding requirement, though, I think (haven't used Hamachi in 10+ years).

The netplay implementation itself isn't amazing or anything, but if you're playing with someone with a low ping, it works pretty nicely.
hackfresh

Post by hackfresh »

Nestopia's netplay using p2p kaillera is pretty good and just require port forwarding.

The only problem I encountered with Mesens netplay is that the lag is one sided. The host(server) basically has none and the client bears all the lag.
So its really only going to work well on LAN for certain games. Just depends on the type of game.