It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm 

I recorded a short movie in FCEUX using the movie recorder feature and then recorded it using the built in AVI recording feature. Some of the colors in the recording are wrong. Check the screenshot I attached for a comparison. You can clearly see the boxes are a different color in the capture (left) than the emulator (right). The codec setting I used was "Full Frames (Uncompressed). Why did this happen?

Attachments:
fceux_avi_color_compare.png
fceux_avi_color_compare.png [ 205.99 KiB | Viewed 982 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 pm 

I'd guess it's "full uncompressed frames" stored YUV420, or maybe YUV411. You want YUV444 in order to retain all the color information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 pm 

Most video codecs break each pixel down into luma (lightness) and chroma (color), in a format called YUV, and then shrink the chroma by a factor of 2 because the eye is on the whole less sensitive to fine chroma detail. This technique is called YUV420: for each 4 luma (Y) samples, you get 2 chroma (UV) samples on even lines and no chroma samples on odd lines. To avoid loss of chroma detail due to YUV420, you'll need to save the AVI as uncompressed RGB or YUV444 or using a lossless codec such as Huffyuv or ZMBV. Later, you can scale the AVI up by a factor of 2 and convert it to YUV420 afterward, as YUV420 won't distort video that has already been upscaled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 am 

I don't get the same result when I use "full frames (uncompressed)" in FCEUX. The resulting video comes out with an "RV24" FourCC, and perfectly matches the original output. Your picture looks like something that has lower resolution chroma (some sort of YUV?), and also there is a resizing of the image that confuses things more. Are you sure you selected "full frames (uncompressed)"? What version of FCEUX is this? (Maybe try 2.2.3?)

However, I don't normally use that option because you can get perfect lossless with a much smaller file.

I recommend using the Lagarith codec for lossless RGB:
https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

ZMBV also works pretty well for similar purposes (though lately it seems to crash when I use it with FCEUX), it comes with DOSBox:
https://www.dosbox.com/