Shoot Zapper offscreen

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

zeroone

Shoot Zapper offscreen

Post by zeroone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:35 pm

In Asder 20-in-1 (BMC-NTD-03 / Mapper 290), SHOOTER PART1 (game #18) requires you to shoot offscreen to reload your gun. Since the Zapper is simulated using the mouse, shooting (clicking) offscreen is not permitted in the emulators that I tested. I'm not even sure how it can be handled if you have a single monitor and the emulator is in fullscreen mode.

lidnariq

Re: Shoot Zapper offscreen

Post by lidnariq » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Maybe the other mouse button?

zeroone

Post by zeroone » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:02 am

lidnariq wrote:Maybe the other mouse button?
I implemented that, but pulling the zapper trigger offscreen does not appear to reload the gun after all. Either I coded this incorrectly or the game expects some other input for reload. I tried all the buttons on the standard controller plugged into Port 1, but none of them do the job either.

Any suggestions?

NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 am

No, pulling the trigger off-screen is exactly what the game expects. But: Looking at the NintendulatorNRS source code, which I have sent you, consider the following source code comment and the implementation is describes:

Code: Select all

/* Duck Hunt and Crime Busters check whether Trigger was *released*, then whether White was detected.
	   For "Reload" to work properly, this means that White must not be detected at least a few frames *after* reload was released. */

zeroone

Post by zeroone » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:31 pm

NewRisingSun wrote:No, pulling the trigger off-screen is exactly what the game expects. But: Looking at the NintendulatorNRS source code, which I have sent you, consider the following source code comment and the implementation is describes:

Code: Select all

/* Duck Hunt and Crime Busters check whether Trigger was *released*, then whether White was detected.
	   For "Reload" to work properly, this means that White must not be detected at least a few frames *after* reload was released. */
Yep. That's basically what I was missing. Thanks.