It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:12 am 

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around this forums for the better part of the last 2 months while working on an emulator for a class project but this is my first time posting. I had intended even before starting it to carry it to completion way beyond the requirements of the class.

The emulator is named RustyNES and is built using Rust and SDL2. So far I've got it versioned at 0.3.0 but I've been making a ton of great progress. My goal and hope is to see it flourish and highlight how awesome Rust is. I only found 3 or so other Rust-based emulators and at present, they are all very lacking in features and supported games so I'm hoping to change that!

All the nitty gritty of what's implemented and how to use it is on the github readme at https://github.com/lukexor/rustynes

My major goals right now are adding more mappers, fixing some hard to debug IRQ/NMI timing issues (getting blarggs tests to pass has been challenging) and improving performance. It runs at an okay 60ish FPS on my 2016 macbook air but the PPU debug mode causes it to drag. Newer machines don't seem to have as much issue.

Anyways, I'd love to have people try it out and give me feedback! I know there are way too many emulators in development, most of which are stagnant, but I don't plan to drop this any time soon. I want to implement wideNES, add a WebAssembly version and many other features.

I'm sure I'll come back and post more once I've beaten my head enough trying to get more accuracy out of this thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:41 pm 

Nice. My homebrew games seem to run fine on it. Seems to not ignore key repeat though? (At least on Linux, haven't tried it on Mac yet). Have you tried deploying it as a WASM build since that's pretty easy with Rust? Might be a nice alternative to JSNES.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

Glad to hear! Yeah - my brother encountered an issue with key repeats on his linux machine when he first tested. I'm using the SDL2 event pump and so I'm guessing it just fills up with key repeats. I'm not quite sure how to handle that yet.

I haven't started anything regarding WASM yet - I'd like to get 1.0 out first. I feel there are a lot of performance bottlenecks I need to resolve first. I'll definitely make another post here when I do release a WASM version though.