It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NES Emulator that logs?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am 

Hi

Almost finished my 6502 cpu and need to compare it to something, running nestest.nes goes *kinda* well, gives some problems with bit shifting opcodes but other than that it's fine. However the tests in instr_test_v5 all give me errors(excpet for the 01 basics test which passes for some reason). Test 02-Implied reports failed for pretty much every opcode:
Code:
0A ASL A
6A ROR A
4A LSR A
8A TXA
98 TYA
AA TAX
A8 TAY
E8 INX
C8 INY
CA DEX
88 DEY
38 SEC
18 CLC
F8 SED
D8 CLD
78 SEI
58 CLI
B8 CLV
EA NOP
1A NOP
3A NOP
5A NOP
7A NOP
DA NOP
FA NOP

02-implied

Failed

And all other tests also report errors but they go off track(starts executing 00's and FF's) before even showing me the "Failed" text.
I thought this was weird since nestest.nes didn't complain that much, so I want to investigate. nestest had the adventage of using only a few instruction, making it easier for me to find the part where it went wrong and then compare it to nintendulator debug and fix it.
However instr_test_v5 is much bigger and I cannot debug it the way I debug nestest, so I need to compare it to a log to see where it goes wrong. However, I cannot find a log of those rom's and nintendulator crashes on my linux PC when creating a log.

So I need another NES emulator that is able to pass the tests correctly that can generate a text log for me to load into my program and compare.
Does anyone know such emulator?
Also, any advice on my errors is apreciated. ;)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:24 pm 

When Nintendulator crashes, what if any error message does it display?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:25 pm 

tepples wrote:

It simply gives the generic windows crash dialog: "Nintendulator has stopped working and needs to be closed."
This is with wine on linux btw, so it's not that big of a suprise for it to be buggy. But would be nice for it to work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:32 pm 

timl132 wrote:
So I need another NES emulator that is able to pass the tests correctly that can generate a text log for me to load into my program and compare.

How about Nintaco?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:45 pm 

zeroone wrote:
timl132 wrote:

How about Nintaco?

Nintaco is really nice! Even got the nametable viewer and all!

Is it possible though to adjust the whitespacing in the log? Because every line in the log consists of 80% whitespace, meaning it takes up a lot more storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:11 pm 

timl132 wrote:
Is it possible though to adjust the whitespacing in the log? Because every line in the log consists of 80% whitespace, meaning it takes up a lot more storage.

That's odd. I don't recall that. Can you provide a few samples lines?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm 

timl132 wrote:
tepples wrote:

It simply gives the generic windows crash dialog: "Nintendulator has stopped working and needs to be closed."
This is with wine on linux btw, so it's not that big of a suprise for it to be buggy. But would be nice for it to work.

What version of Nintendulator were you running? Was it 32-bit or 64-bit?

While I don't guarantee that my emulator works in Wine (since I usually only test it on Windows), I'm certainly willing to take a look at it and see if I can fix whatever's causing it to crash in your environment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 am 

zeroone wrote:
timl132 wrote:

Code:
A81E  10 FC     BPL $A81C                       A:00 X:FF Y:0E

Admittetly, 80% whitespace is over exagerated, but it's defenitly more than 50% whitespace. It would be nice to have less whitespaces so the files are less huge.

Quietust wrote:
timl132 wrote:
tepples wrote:

What version of Nintendulator were you running? Was it 32-bit or 64-bit?

While I don't guarantee that my emulator works in Wine (since I usually only test it on Windows), I'm certainly willing to take a look at it and see if I can fix whatever's causing it to crash in your environment.

I downloaded nintendulator0980_bin_ansi.zip, don't know if it's 32 or 64. Is it an old version maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 am 

zeroone wrote:
timl132 wrote:

Also, do you maybe know how to make a log that starts at the beginning of the program, instead of the middle of the program execution?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:06 am 

timl132 wrote:
Also, do you maybe know how to make a log that starts at the beginning of the program, instead of the middle of the program execution?

This is one way:

1. Load the game (File | Open...)
  2. Pause the game (Machine | Pause)
  3. Reset the game (Machine | Reset) ← nothing will happen since it's paused
  4. Start the logger (Debug | Start Trace Logger) ← nothing gets logged since it's paused
  5. Resume the game (Machine | Pause) ← the game will reset and logging will commence

I'll investigate removing those white spaces this weekend. If I recall correctly, that unusual behavior was based on the behavior of other emulators, making it possible to compare Nintaco logs against their logs. Nonetheless, if there is not an option to disable that, I'll add one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm 

timl132 wrote:
I downloaded nintendulator0980_bin_ansi.zip, don't know if it's 32 or 64. Is it an old version maybe?

That's a fairly recent version, but the "ansi" one is meant for compatibility with ancient versions of Windows (i.e. 95/98/ME) - try the "unicode" one and see if it works any better.
If it still doesn't work, try downloading version 0.985 - it's built with a newer compiler and might work better in Wine, it's available in both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, and it also incorporates a few timing fixes.

timl132 wrote:
Because every line in the log consists of 80% whitespace, meaning it takes up a lot more storage.

timl132 wrote:
It would be nice to have less whitespaces so the files are less huge.

Exactly how "huge" are these log files that you're concerned about how much storage they're taking up? Even if you only had 1 gigabyte of free disk space (which is pretty tiny these days), that would be enough to store over a thousand frames (30 million CPU cycles, or about 18 seconds) worth of execution logs, far more than you'll likely need to debug at once.