RockNES 5.66 -April 9th 2021-

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

RockNES 5.66 -April 9th 2021-

Post by Zepper »

One more round of fixes and minor improvements. RockNES 5.66 is out.
DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/txzhfywxjsb8b ... 6.zip?dl=0
http://rocknes.web.fc2.com/

Code: Select all

What's new for version 5.66 (04/09/2021)
----------------------------------------
[fds driver]
- Disk inserted/ejected status is no more set to "true" on soft-RESET.
- Improved disk information, added CRC32.
[cpu]
- RAM is now completely filled with zeros.
[apu]
- Fixed a bug in the APU reset.
- Fixed a bug in the stereo sound downsampling calculation.
- Fixed NSF driver, major cleanups.
[graphics]
- Fixed windowed mode when out of focus.
- Fixed color calculations for various color styles.
- Color style "sepia #2" was changed to a new non-monochrome calculation.
- The loaded .NES filename is now displayed in the "File info" GUI option.
- Minor cosmetic changes in the GUI.
[general]
- Removed value $40 ORed at every joypad read.
- Keyboard is now polled before checking keys.
- Fixed emulator startup, several rewrites in the code, minor fixes.
- Fixed a memory leak problem.
Last edited by Zepper on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: RockNES 5.64 -released on October 2nd 2020-

Post by Zepper »

Here we go.
New version before my wedding (tomorrow). ^_^;;
dink

Post by dink »

Congrats! :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

I tried running RockNES 5.65 in Wine 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 20.04. I couldn't get it to accept input.

wine RockNES.exe
A window showing the main menu (Game, CPU, Video, Misc, Options) appears. The Game menu doesn't respond to a click, and Alt+G on the keyboard doesn't open the Game menu.

wine RockNES.exe path/to/rom.nes
The game starts and plays audio. I tried every key on my laptop's keyboard, and none of them produced Down, Right, or A.

Under a guess that some keys may be mapped and others not, I tried a controller test ROM:
wine RockNES.exe path/to/allpads.nes
This produces the following:

Error!
corrupted header or iNES 2.0 NOT supported!
-loading aborted-

[ OK ]
The OK button did not respond to a mouse click nor to a keypress. I had to close it with Ctrl+C in the controlling terminal.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

I'm glad you tried my emulator! ^_^;;

Well... quick answer. Open the file "RockNES.ini" and look for the option -disable_dirty_header_detection 0.
Just set it to 1.
There are more options available.

If you want to try porting it to Linux, let me know.
tepples wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:43 pm I tried running RockNES 5.65 in Wine 5.0.2 on Ubuntu 20.04. I couldn't get it to accept input.

wine RockNES.exe
A window showing the main menu (Game, CPU, Video, Misc, Options) appears. The Game menu doesn't respond to a click, and Alt+G on the keyboard doesn't open the Game menu.

wine RockNES.exe path/to/rom.nes
The game starts and plays audio. I tried every key on my laptop's keyboard, and none of them produced Down, Right, or A.

Under a guess that some keys may be mapped and others not, I tried a controller test ROM:
wine RockNES.exe path/to/allpads.nes
This produces the following:

Error!
corrupted header or iNES 2.0 NOT supported!
-loading aborted-

[ OK ]
The OK button did not respond to a mouse click nor to a keypress. I had to close it with Ctrl+C in the controlling terminal.
LucianoTheWindowsFan

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

I hope they add support for the Barcode Battler in Barcode World.
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

LucianoTheWindowsFan wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:51 pm I hope they add support for the Barcode Battler in Barcode World.
There's no info available in the #nesdev wiki.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: RockNES 5.66 -April 9th 2021-

Post by Zepper »

New version today.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Zepper wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:36 am

[general]
I hope this means it's being handled by general Open Bus emulation (i.e. setting the upper 3 bits according to the last value that the CPU successfully read) rather than a hardcoded special case, since there are several games (including Paperboy and Dirty Harry) that won't work unless the joypad registers return $40/$41 when reading them directly (as opposed to doing special tricks with indexing).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Quietust wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am
Zepper wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:36 am

[general]
I hope this means it's being handled by general Open Bus emulation (i.e. setting the upper 3 bits according to the last value that the CPU successfully read) rather than a hardcoded special case, since there are several games (including Paperboy and Dirty Harry) that won't work unless the joypad registers return $40/$41 when reading them directly (as opposed to doing special tricks with indexing).
It means I am visible now. :beer:
Well, AFAIK, VS SMB was reading $40 as a "coin bit", so it was impossible to see the title screen and game demonstration.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The Vs. System is not the same hardware as the NES, and you shouldn't have $4016 and $4017 behaves the same for both.

It is absolutely correct that if you put Vs. SMB on a NES cart it would perceive the coin drop as continuously activated.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

But not on the R&W Famicom I guess? I remember playing VS Super Mario Bros on my Famicom using the Everdrive and it worked fine. It only inserted a coin when I blew into the mic.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

um...

1- Vs. SMB was only released for the 2C04-0004, so if you played it on a home console on a flashcart, the colors would all be Very Wrong. If you don't remember them being Very Wrong, you most likely played a version that was patched for home consoles.
very-wrong-colors.png
very-wrong-colors.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
2- The Everdrive can choose to drive the upper three or five bits of reads from $4016 and $4017, preventing reading open bus as a coin insert, and even allowing a few of the arcade DIP switches to be set

3- The "microphone" input on the Famicom is the same bit as the service button on the Vs. System
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

1. No it was definitely the clean Vs Super Mario Bros ROM (though I've tried the patched one as well). The palette was obviously wrong, I just wanted to see if the game was playable on Famicom at all, and it was (if you disregard the psychedelic coloring).

2. You mean like use its mapper emulation to intercept $4016/$4017 access kind of like a Game Genie? Or patch the ROM on the fly? The Everdrive does have mapper 99 listed so maybe it does something hacky with these games. I have no idea if mapper 99 was listed years ago when I tried VS SMB though.

3. Yup and it worked fine for engaging the service button. I tried a few other VS System games, but not all of them seemed to use this button and wasn't playable as a result.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Pokun wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:36 pm 2. You mean like use its mapper emulation to intercept $4016/$4017 access kind of like a Game Genie? Or patch the ROM on the fly? The Everdrive does have mapper 99 listed so maybe it does something hacky with these games. I have no idea if mapper 99 was listed years ago when I tried VS SMB though.
No, no patching.

I mean that in the same way VRC2 and mapper 150 have 1 or 3-bit wide readable registers and the rest is open bus, it's possible for a flashcart to make only the top three bits of reads from $4016 and $4017 become not open bus without inducing a bus conflict on the lower five bits