It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Sayoonara 2001.3/2001.4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:29 pm 
When running Chris Covell's demo "Sayoonara!" on most recent emulators I see there are glitches in it. Some background areas are in gray where it should supposedly be black. What this originates in is the handling of $2001.3 and $2001.4. I'm still unsure of what the PPU exactly does when they're manipulated during midframe (beside from stoping the data fetching when both are cleared).

If I remember correctly some of you tested this demo on the real hardware, do any of you remember if those glitches were there as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:13 pm 

I get the grey patches in my emu as well (as least I think they're the same ones you're talking about... my emu shows it very similar to how Nintendulator does).

Oddly enough... it doesn't play any sound in my emu... o_O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:33 pm 

Actually, those spots are SUPPOSED to be gray - older emulators would display them in black instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:44 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Quite strange that "buggy" situations mean the "accurate"... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:56 pm 

I looked at the sound problem... I can't understand how emus are playing sound for the demo.

It seems to write 0 to $4015 -- then write to each channel's length reg ($4003,4007,400B,400F) -- then write $0F to $4015.

It never writes to the length reg for any channels unless it writes $00 to $4015 first. I'm under the impression that this method will NOT work.. since the length counter is always zero unless the channel's $4015 bit has been flipped on. (ie: writing to the length reg will not reload the length counter unless the channel's $4015 bit is on)

How does this demo operate on the real system? Anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:41 am 
Hi, Chris C here...

About the grey parts -- those are supposed to be there. Sayoonara changes the palette two different times mid-screen, once after the gold lightsource logo, and again after the "sayoonara" logo. Since writing to the palette mid-screen causes the PPU to display the contents of the palette registers, I set the greyscale bit on, as well as all 3 emphasis bits. This changes the colours to various levels of grey (and the 3 emphasis bits will darken the grey) so the palette writing is less noticeable on the real hardware.

About what the music code does, I can't say since it's just ripped code. :(

And I did test this on real NES hardware using my devcart (I also did most of the testing on my DrPCJr). It worked OK, but Kevin H. tried it on his CopyNES and said there was some sprite glitching... I don't remember any, but this was a long time ago anyway...

Bye for now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:49 am 

Did the music play at all? I disassembled a short segment of code around the only two occurrences of $15 $40 (i.e. $4015), and it seemed that it would always leave the length counters at zero, resulting in silence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:03 pm 

I just tried Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge (the game the music was ripped from?) in my emu and the music played fine... but I get complete silence in Sayoonara!.

Maybe the writing to $4015 with channel bits off only clears the length counter and doesn't prevent it from reloading? All the docs say it does though.

*shrugs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:57 pm 

According to the NESdev wikki, RAM is mosty set to $ff on init. Sayoonara's sound will play on my emulator if I set RAM to $00 on init, but if I set it to $ff it will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:26 am 

AAhhh... yeah that explains it. I wipe system memory with $FF on startup (This seems right to me, since using $FF solves a quirk in Final Fantasy related to random encounters).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:38 am 

http://nesdev.com/wiki/?page=Power-Up+State

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:48 pm 

In my very simple NES emulator, if I set memory to $ff then Super Mario Bros. always starts on the negative world (it works if I clear it all to 0). Is this a well-known issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:09 pm 

For me, clearing RAM to FFh doesn't affect SMB adversely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:40 pm 
Formerly Fx3

I already had noticed this SMB side-effect on RAM $FF filling, but I didn't try again on my newst emu though... :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:01 pm 

blargg wrote:
In my very simple NES emulator, if I set memory to $ff then Super Mario Bros. always starts on the negative world (it works if I clear it all to 0). Is this a well-known issue?

It's a bad ROM. Here:

http://nesdev.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showpost.pl?Board=nesdev&Number=1669&page=5&view=collapsed&mode=threaded&sb=5#Post1669