It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:37 pm 
A preliminary page for my fork of FCE Ultra can be found at http://nintencer.fobby.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:08 am 

Anonymous wrote:
A preliminary page for my fork of FCE Ultra can be found at http://nintencer.fobby.net/

It seems that right now you are mainly improving the graphics output. The only other FCEU fork that did this was FCEUX for the Xbox.
http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

It took advantage of the Xbox's graphics rendering hardware to implement free scaling and pixel filtering, so you could get the aspect ratio just right. However, it always looked a little blury on my Xbox, as I compared it to a real NES to get the overscan settings perfect. Still overall, it was my favorite port, even though it fell massively behind the original FCEU. The latest version, released over a year ago, still doens't support the new sound code and all of the emulation improvements. Any chance we will see an Xbox port of Nintencer? At $99 and a free software modding (no mod-chip needed), it makes a great NES substitute :)

Anyway, its nice to see Nintencer with Linux releases. It would be wise to build Windows binaries, as Windows people typically don't have compilation tools installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:51 am 
I will consider compiling a Win32 version when I have written an in-emulator GUI for Nintencer.

An XBox port would also be partially dependent on having a GUI, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:32 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
An XBox port would also be partially dependent on having a GUI, as well.

And on Microsoft's evil empire-only SDK. Typically, developers like XPort get their hands on an SDK _somehow_, so that they can develop a port. However, releasing binaries compiled wtih a pirated copy of the SDK is ilegal, so the developers only distribute source code. That way, others who have access to the SDK can build their own binaries. Hence the developer avoids legal issues by passing the buck.

The end result is pretty much the same for the user. You just have to work a little harder to find binaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:54 pm 

As I understand it, you need the official xdk only if you want 3D acceleration. Otherwise you can use openxdk and a modchip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:20 pm 

tepples wrote:
As I understand it, you need the official xdk only if you want 3D acceleration. Otherwise you can use openxdk and a modchip.

Well, I wonder how much hardware acceleration you would get for 2D operations needed to properly scale the image for fullscreen aspect ratio respecting display. With regards to modchips, most people don't seem to realize this, but software modding methods have been discovered, so that you don't even need a mod-chip anymore. Just run a software exploit and your Xbox is modded. Far easier and cheaper than buying and installing a mod-chip. Even better, the software exploits can be undone very easily, in case you ever want to un-mod your console.

I bought an Xbox just for software modding so that I could install some classic console/arcade emulators, MP3 player, and Xvid/DivX player. My only current beef is that the current port of FCEU is extremely out of date, and lacks the new sound code.