It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:57 am 

I have came up with a theory that could be possible:

There is a possibility that I (or someone) can create a NES emulator enhancement. Modifying the PPU code, and turning 4-colors-per-4-palettes-2-times into 8-colors-per-2-palettes-2-times

There is one good thing I made up: There should be no modifications
to the palette size in the rom to make it work, as in it saves code changes

Mockups in text:

Each Palette rows (Represents Palette size) are shown (In singles: 1, 2, 3, 4) under the Palette Size markers (Where palettes fits, with multiple 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s)

OriginalSpritePalette | OriginalBGPalette
1111222233334444 | 1111222233334444
1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4

(Spr 4, Bg 4, = 8 x 2 = 16) without modifying PPU)

NEWSpritePalette | NEWBGPalette
1111111122222222 | 3333333344444444
1 2N 3 4N | 1 2N 3 4N

(Spr 2, Bg 2, = 4 x 4 = 16) with modifying PPU)

Note that it can be possible to disable the transparency in the single numbers with the N by it (the N represents disabled transparency) for colors to show up.

NOTE 1:

Also, Make sure you are using Tile molster, as it is the only working tool that supports ''3bbp (2bbp NES+1bbp PC)''. Because 3bbp = 8 colors

NOTE 2:

This is only for the PC and ported versions can be made for other platforms. But cannot be put of use for the NES system itself! as it is impossible that way.

NOTE 3:

This is only made just for FUN and it is for PC-ONLY NES hackers and developers like me. So do not excpect to put stuff like this in a NES cartridge!

This therory will support about 1/3 more Character ROM than the original ROM (3bpp instead of 2bpp), But CHR-Ram will not work unless you have the ASM source code of the NES game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:34 am 

I've heard ideas like this before. One version was that you forgo the traditional palette/CHR system completely and load 8bpp graphics and palettes from externals sources.

Personally -- I am fundamentally against such ideas. Part of the goal of ROM hacking and nesdev is working within the confines of the system. Is sounds like you'd be more interested in a game maker than an emulator. I mean afterall -- if you're admitting that this will only work on PC emulators and not on the NES system -- why even bother with the NES at all? Why not just target the PC from the get-go?

Also -- if this is something you really want -- why not look into doing this yourself? You seem to have a repeating trend of requesting some crazy feature or program (none of which ever come to fruition... by the way). Perhaps you'd have better luck if you actually tried approaching the situation yourself and getting your hands dirty. Rather than rely on others to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:40 pm 

Extending the system is interesting, but around here you likely won't find much support. Most people here have the feeling that if a game doesn't run on the real NES, then it is not a real NES game.

Looks like the forum ate your formatting, may was to edit with the code tag? Even better, get some quick graphics up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:54 pm 

Disch wrote:
Personally -- I am fundamentally against such ideas. Part of the goal of ROM hacking and nesdev is working within the confines of the system. Is sounds like you'd be more interested in a game maker than an emulator. I mean afterall -- if you're admitting that this will only work on PC emulators and not on the NES system -- why even bother with the NES at all? Why not just target the PC from the get-go?

Because then:
  1. You'd have to remake the game from scratch, as opposed to hacking an existing game. People who have played a lot of "Hong Kong originals" know how crappy their physics can be.
  2. Some people don't want 2D in a Windows-native game, instead expecting you to either make the game in Adobe Flash (that'll be $700 up front) or make it with full 3D graphics.

Would you have been against Super Mario All-Stars, a graphics hack of SMB1, SMB2, and SMB3 using the new Super NES PPU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:20 pm 

--- EDIT ---

blah -- I'm doing it again.

Sorry :P

Last edited by Disch on Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:24 pm 

Yes, a variant of the system isn't the system anymore, until you release a famiclone with enhanced features and backwards compatible, like what the GBC is to the original GB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:52 pm 

I get the idea. You want to take the original game, and with very little work, have an environment where you can extend it freely using modern programming on a PC. What would really work well is an emulator made for this kind of extension. Without that, you're left customizing an existing emulator and having to maintain it just for this one extended game. I think this is one untapped use of emulators that has lots of possibility, but the maintenance issue makes it unattractive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:20 pm 
Formerly Fx3

I really doubt about such "automatic" improvement. Unless there's a rabbit from an empty hat, the only improvement would be screen filtering. Otherwise, how would a blue color be changed into 2 or 3 other shades of blue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:34 pm 

I've read a proposal like this: The emulator uses a dictionary from NES style 3-entry palettes (18 bits each) to SNES/GBA style 15-entry palettes. Then the CHR ROM would be replaced with a CHR ROM containing SNES/GBA style 4-bit tiles, or for games using CHR RAM, the emulator would map tile data through a dictionary from 2-bit tiles (16 bytes each) to 4-bit tiles (32 bytes each).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:18 am 

For my nearly-defunct SMW hack, I actually made an external program that plays MP3 files:

The way it works is really simple: the game writes a track number and play/stop command to a couple of specific RAM addresses, which are then intercepted by the player application (which peeks at the emulator's memory from outside). This particular method of emulator enhancement is nice because it's non-invasive, easily updated, and the game still runs on the original hardware (albeit without music, in this case).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:23 am 
Formerly Fx3

Indeed, much easier... but still game-specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:40 am 

To make it not game-specific, could you make the emulator emulate the remote control of a CD player, in the same way that some Sega CD and PlayStation games play their music? That's my approach in general: imagine how some hardware could be built, and then emulate it.