I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:47 pm

The save thing is for NWC, yes. It was shown that if you copy a save file from somebody else's console, you get their friend code.

In short, the entire fucking problem is due to Nintendo's ridiculous stance on internet-based multiplayer.

Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:38 am

was reading the iNES header doc i found here and I see somilarities, but i was wondering if you could point out to me, what makes this an iNES header?
Noob sticky!!
Please document this part of the NESdevWiki!! XD
YOU NEED A RETROMACHINESHOP!!

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 am

Then why can't a game have two save files: one for WFC-related settings and one for everything else?

Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 am

was taht a question for me?
Noob sticky!!

WedNESday

Re: I just dumped my Wii's flash memory

Post by WedNESday » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 am

Dwedit wrote:Virtual Console games have INES headers.
(Where is that bloody emoticon with the really long jaw!)

OMFG. This is like, major. 'Nuff said. Could Marat Fayzullin sue Nintendo's arse?

WedNESday

Post by WedNESday » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:41 am

Laserbeak43 wrote:was reading the iNES header doc i found here and I see somilarities, but i was wondering if you could point out to me, what makes this an iNES header?
It starts off 'NES' $1A. Coincidence? I don't think so. And from Dwedit's second post, I think I can see the PRG, CHR and bank bytes too.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:37 am

WedNESday wrote:Could Marat Fayzullin sue Nintendo's arse?
Probably not, since iNES is mostly used to pirate games made by Nintendo in the first place.

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:26 pm

tokumaru wrote:
WedNESday wrote:Could Marat Fayzullin sue Nintendo's arse?
Probably not, since iNES is mostly used to pirate games made by Nintendo in the first place.
I'm unsure about this. For my best, you "pirate a game" when you sell illegal copies of it. Heck, it's clear enough (to avoid spreading the idea) that backup copies of a game isn't required to protect it. You know the thrill... ;) and the iNES header is unable to promote games piracy.

tepples

Post by tepples » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:19 pm

The following analysis of case law applies to the United States and is not legal advice:

Using a proprietary game ROM dump in an emulator is probably a fair use (Sony v. Universal; RIAA v. Diamond), but only if you dumped that ROM from a Game Pak. Owning a Game Pak and copying the game from a warez site is not a substitute (UMG v. MP3.com). In my experience, most people who use the freeware NES emulators do not own a CopyNES or other NES dumper, nor do most people who use NES emulators stick to freeware ROMs.

blargg

Post by blargg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Owning a Game Pak and copying the game from a warez site is not a substitute (UMG v. MP3.com).
For an explanation of the legal difference between copying the game from your own Game Pak and downloading, even if you own the Game Pak and a copier in both cases, see the informative article "What colour are your bits?"

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Sounds like "copying the lyrics from the net OR copying from the CD artwork book". Meh. If both CRCs are matching, only the dirty inside the ROMs would tell someone the difference.

Laserbeak43

Post by Laserbeak43 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 pm

WedNESday wrote:
Laserbeak43 wrote:was reading the iNES header doc i found here and I see somilarities, but i was wondering if you could point out to me, what makes this an iNES header?
It starts off 'NES' $1A. Coincidence? I don't think so. And from Dwedit's second post, I think I can see the PRG, CHR and bank bytes too.
i'm sorry i don't get your point
Noob sticky!!

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Laserbeak43 wrote:i'm sorry i don't get your point
The first 4 bytes of every iNES ROM are "NES" + $1A, and apparently the Virtual Console games start the same way. If you were to check the other bits (mapper, mirroring, ROM sizes, etc) they'd probably match the game in question.

Also, I agree with Fx3. There is virtually no way to tell if a ROM has been dumped by the cart owner or not.

BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 pm

blargg wrote:For an explanation of the legal difference between copying the game from your own Game Pak and downloading, even if you own the Game Pak and a copier in both cases, see the informative article "What colour are your bits?"
Heheh...I guess this "Colour" also explains why I couldn't bring myself to delete some prototype ROM dumps that were bit-for-bit identical to the final versions. Interesting read. :P

Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:40 am

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#good

I like how they start out by making the generalization that emulators are used to play "illegal" roms. How about those that aren't illegal? How many times do they use the word "illegal" here?

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#legitimize

Isn't the Virtual Console kind of doing that?