It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: About Emulators
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:09 pm 

I have a simple question for you all guys.
Sorry my english , but I live in Argentina and I'm learning the language.
But , I google it the word NES emulator and I find about 600 NES emulators , some find home into my hard drive , but this is my question : Why not all the Emu programmers join together and put they brains together and develop a unique Emulator with the functions with all the Mappers support (all the know it) , why I'm saying this , some people (like me) start to develop a Emu for own purposes and education , but some people seems to be more interested into "put a name or website" with "medium" Emulators , why this people or people like me can colaborate with an only Emulator doing for example Adds or plugins , or work only in Mapper support and discovering.
You know , emulation is not perfect , but I think if all the people who has develop some Emu in their lifes start to work into a unique Emulator with other people around the world . the goal of it is : AN ONLY EMULATOR 100% FUNCTIONAL AND FULLY MAPPER SUPPORT etc etc.
It's a basic question for me and I wondering this for years.
I wait some answer some day.
Sorry about my english.
Switchstance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:00 pm 

There's something about making it yourself. The reason there's so many emulators is because it's fun to write them -- people aren't writing them because they need an emulator. I mean there are already lots of great, accurate emus out.

A joint project wouldn't really make a lot of sense, imo. It doesn't take a whole lot of programming work to add support for a mapper -- the hard part is getting the info on how the mapper works. The thing that would be best for the community would be for people to RE all those odd mappers and document them. Right now only a few people are doing it (Kevtris? Q maybe?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:20 pm 

yeah I know. I write some crap emulators for my education and own purposes. Good answer to my question.
You're disch from the FF editor right?
I wrote about you in my Nesfreak Magazine (in Spanish) very useful tool.
Thanx.
Hope don't bother to anyone with this question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:42 pm 

Yeah that's me. I'm almost embarrassed of Hackster these days, but it's good to know people are still getting use out of it ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:46 am 
Formerly Fx3

Well, this is an "old" idea... of "joining forces to create an emulator". From my view point, it's non-sense, since the info is publically available, we can chat each other and... like Disch said, it's yay better to write your own software. ^_^;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:24 pm 

Yeah , but I think: it is Utopic 'cause the people behind the Emulator , or maybe the idea is "old"?
I really don't know. I'm agree about the self-learning and self-programming stuff...
Maybe I still be a utopic boy....
snifff....

Disch , about your soft it's really cool , but some guy friend of mine asked about a FFhackster Linux Version , I really don't know if this exist , but the question has been done.

Sorry about my english.

Post subject: nesforce
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:06 pm 

I live in argentina too, im "argentinian" (if you want we could chat in our lenguaje (spanish) if you want, which "provincia" do you live?.

Well, it was supposed that i had to write someting for fx3, but im a little overheaded :) with my new job. Sorry if i didnt e-mailed you fx3, but i would like to talk about the sound in much detail with you.

Anyway...

- I think here plays a cruciar role the "my self" thing, maybe this is not true for all you out there, but we emus autors (and i wanna say i think about my self im a begginer) wanna say "its MY emulator"
and some people never will throw you with source, there are another ones like disch that can re-write a complete engine for you and paste it in a post. But someones think its his work, his production: "a part of ME" and devotes web pages for his emus, their code?: a secret.
Or maybe there would be others that says: "my emulator will be the best one and i will appear in all those emus pages mentionated" and dont like a big list wich they appear i nobody will remember his name or nick.

- Its nos such "BIG" project to envolve more that 2 or 3 people. We are talking about an old system wich is not to "complex" or has such variants that need code and code, where just one person cant handle it.

About me: i like to make all from scratch (i even rewrited all the emu in MASM32 and throw it away when i noticed that the c/c++ compiler was good enf.

i would like to take a moment and thank those people that helped me:
- DISCH (Thanks a lot!!)
- FX3
- and all those who replied me but i dont remember their name/nick.
:oops:

UNF -> UTOPIC NES FORCE

ha!, that would be a nice name.

bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:40 am 

Che , la verdad que seria bueno. Soy de la Pcia de Sta Cruz. Aca no crece nada bueno , salvo chicos en frente a las computadoras haciendo algunas cosas.
Seria bueno.
todo este tiempo ademas de dedicarme a aprender los vericuetos de ls NES me dedique a traducir cientos y cientos de documentos tecnicos que tengo en mi poder y seria de gran ayuda si alguien como vos le diera un vistazo para saber si hay errores.
En cuanto al Emu en conjunto , es un proyecto utopico , pero supongo que puede hacerse , codigo fuente libre , yo todavia creo en la comunidad LAtinoamericana y sus creaciones , lamentablemente no todos se presentan como tu lo has hecho y ni siquiera yo lo he hecho en muchos casos.
Mi E-mail es benix_sonico@yahoo.com.ar si quieres hablar.
GRacias.
Switchstance