It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:43 pm 

Okay, my sprite shows up just fine on every emulator except for Nintendulator. When I move my sprite, you can see it move, but you can't see it when it's still. Any explanation for this? I do the load sprite method just fine:

Code:
         lda #8
         sta cy      ; ypos
         lda #5
         sta ct       ; tile number
         lda #8
         sta cx      ; xpos, and we didn't do anything to attributes, because it's not neccisary
         lda #high(cynthi)    ;sprite dma
         sta $4014

any explanation? I'd really like if I could figure this out, because it's annoying. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:25 pm 

1. Write 0 to $2003 before performing a sprite DMA
2. Make sure you do your sprite DMA during VBLANK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:11 pm 

Are you making sure to use the same tile number when it's still and when it's moving? If not, then perhaps you are loading the walking cels but not loading the standing cels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 am 

you mean like this?:

lda #$00
sta $2003
sta $2003
bit $2002
lda #high(cynthi)
sta $4014

because if so, that doesn't work. I can't really think of a way to do it in vblank besides in bit testing $2002. I wish I could just say:

see if bit 7 is on

and be done with that. Sorry, I hope I'm not looking stupid here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:08 am 

Celius wrote:
lda #$00
sta $2003
sta $2003

Umm, why are you setting the SPR-RAM address twice?
The SPR-RAM address is only 8 bits wide, so it is a single-write register (contrary to GbaGuy's tutorial which erroneously treats it the same as $2005 and $2006).

As for doing it in VBLANK, you shouldn't be "detecting if you are in VBLANK", but should instead be simply performing the sprite DMA at the beginning of your NMI routine.

One other minor thing to note: ALWAYS read $2002 at least once before enabling NMIs via $2000, or you may find yourself receiving an immediate NMI if you happened to enable them during VBLANK without having read $2002 earlier...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:35 am 

Oh, man.. Something happened to my controls, and it's really bad. Well first of all, yes, my sprite does show up in Nintendulator, but when you press right, the sprite goes left really fast, when you press left, the sprite goes southwest really slow, when you press up, it goes up really fast, and when you press down, you go down a little slower, but not much. Oh, and if you press up twice, then press left, and it just goes left really slow. But if you press down twice, it goes southwest again. What happened? My controls code is fine, there's something else wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:39 pm 

Never mind, I fixed it. Okay, I was wondering something. What if you want things in your NMI to happen, but you want some things in your routine to happen at different times? Like, I want to increment vbl_count constantly, but I don't always want my sprite sitting there on the screen. How could I avoid this? Okay, this is bad, but I was thinking of something like this:

Code:
nmi:
       inc vbl_count
       lda rmlod    ;variable for saying room is loaded
       cmp #1      ; if variable is 1 (I add one to this variable when the room is loaded)
       beq continue
       rti

continue:
       lda #0
       sta $2003
       jsr handlepad       ; joypad
       lda #high(cynthi)
       sta $4014
       rts

it's because I only want my sprite to appear when the level is loaded. I tried that, didn't work, because I'm bad at coding. Okay, any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:49 am 

Disable sprites via $2001 when the level is not loaded, and/or clear the whole OAM with any value from $f0 to $ff, so all sprites won't be visible.
Not doing sprite DMA in a frame won't make sprites to disapear, they'll just stand where they were the last frame without moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:09 pm 

Oh by the way, I forgot to say thank you, because your method worked. And also, is there any way to turn on clipping in Nintendulator? Because without clipping, FF3 is really bothering me, and I want it to be clipped. Any way to turn it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:10 pm 

If, by "clipping", you mean restricting the rendered screen to 256x224, there is no such option. Any other forms of clipping are already implemented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:23 pm 

Quietust wrote:
If, by "clipping", you mean restricting the rendered screen to 256x224, there is no such option.

Then despite the excellent accuracy otherwise, if it can't be set to cut off the lines that a typical television cuts off, it is a poor emulation of an NES connected to a consumer TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:30 pm 

Nintendulator's goal is not to emulate an NES connected to a consumer TV - if it did, it would support fullscreen with VSYNC and have a bunch of graphic filters for 2xSAI, HQ2x, scanlines, and all that crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:17 am 

If you wanted to do that you would probably have to clip a few pixels on each side of the screen as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:38 am 

tepples wrote:
Quietust wrote:
If, by "clipping", you mean restricting the rendered screen to 256x224, there is no such option.

Then despite the excellent accuracy otherwise, if it can't be set to cut off the lines that a typical television cuts off, it is a poor emulation of an NES connected to a consumer TV.

Good NES emulation should be measured by what it looks like when connected to the same TV as a real NES. I am sure that there is very little overscan if I hooked up my NES to my computer CRT. This is why I hate scanlines and such features in emulators. If you want the look of a crappy monitor, then hook up your computer to a crappy old TV via RCA composite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:50 am 

Quote:
Good NES emulation should be measured by what it looks like when connected to the same TV as a real NES. I am sure that there is very little overscan if I hooked up my NES to my computer CRT.

Good point; what is really wanted here (by some) is an NTSC television emulator. A real NES emulator would of course just output a raw NTSC composite video stream. :)