It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:40 pm 

Even if we emulate an NES whose PPU generates component signals instead of emulating down to the level of NTSC composite or S-video signals, a lot of commercial and homebrew games such as Super C take advantage of the fact that the top and bottom are cut off so that they can hide the garbage when an attribute block is split across the top and bottom of the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:35 pm 

I think myself that the goal of an emulator is to look as close than what it would look on a real TV, regardless of techical details. I think FCEUltra does it very well, much more well than Nintendulator. But Nintendulator has the feature to log instruction, that is very usefull (but it sometimes takes 200% of my computer's CPU time and then it will bug).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:06 am 

Quote:
I think myself that the goal of an emulator is to look as close than what it would look on a real TV, regardless of techical details.

Over time I've realized (the obvious fact) that people write emulators for different reasons; it's not just about trying to make-believe one's PC is a big NES console on its side and one's monitor actually a TV set. The goal of the author for his emulator is whatever his goal is (the emulator itself has no goal, being non-sentient). Some write theirs in different languages, or try to implement unique features, or just enjoy the process itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:08 am 

Bregalad wrote:
I think myself that the goal of an emulator is to look as close than what it would look on a real TV, regardless of techical details. I think FCEUltra does it very well, much more well than Nintendulator. But Nintendulator has the feature to log instruction, that is very usefull (but it sometimes takes 200% of my computer's CPU time and then it will bug).

But there are games that Nintendulator has no problem emulating, yet make FCEUltra fall flat on its face. Nintendulator is all about low-level CPU, PPU, and APU accuracy. It could be, hands down, the end all be all of NES emulators if more work was done on usability improvements and polish for the end-gamer... that and ports to other platforms. Its slowness is becoming a thing of the past, with the progression of computer hardware. My point is that I wish more emulator authors started basing their emulators ontop of Nintendulator.

However, currently, my most used NES emulator is FCEUltra on the Xbox. I wish more emulators were ported to the Xbox... or at least a more recent port of FCEUltra :) Because of the hardware acceleration, you can tweak FCEUltra/Xbox to get the overscan perfect. I did the side-by-side comparison with a real NES on a real TV. FCEUltra/Xbox's output was blurrier than the real NES, but otherwise was fairly close to the real thing. Of course, peripherial comparison was wildly different. NES games are meant to be played with a real D-pad, not the crap pawned off on people these days. Hell, even Nintendo has botched up their D-pad on the Gamecube, GBASP, and NDS. Oh well.

Anyway, for my FCEUltra/Xbox gets more gameplay-time because of the usability stuff that goes ontop of a solid emulator core. IMO, there is nothing stopping Nintendulator from having this, assuming somebody wanted to spend the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:32 am 

Nintendulator is really great for accuracy and has the log feature, but it screen render is really bad for my viewpoint. FCEU is nearly as accurate than Nintendulator, and has the debugger, and very nice rendered graphics, and is pretty slow, but nintenulator is even much more slower.
Virtua NES render also very good graphics, but has some problem while toggling $2006 midframe (not always emulated correctly) and while toggling $2001 midscanline, and emulates PAL very badly. It is not very accurate, but enough for most licenced NTSC games. I has a lot of other function, such as Name Table viewer (that Nintendulator also has, but it slows the thing down a lot). And VirtuaNES is pretty fast, and cause no problem running evin on my old slow PC, while Nintendulator runs even too slow on my new fast PC.
I think the XBost is one of the worst gaming machines out there, and should not be used at all, even to use it to play old games.