It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NWC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:28 am 

Digg is reporting that there is an original NWC cart up for bid at eBay (> $5000). In the comments someone mentions that "They do have a ROM dump but it is not emulated because of the custom hardware the cart uses."
Is this true? I remember trying out the rom at some point, and vaguely remembering it not working. I don't remember what emu I used so it's not very useful info. I'll try it out when I get home from work tonight, but does anyone know off the top of their head? I would guess Nintendulator probably supports this. Is there any info on the mapper hw used? How is the board described in UNIF?

http://digg.com/gaming/Nintendo_World_Championships_1990_on_ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:14 am 
Why is it so expensive? $5000+ for some game? What is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:38 am 

james123 wrote:
Why is it so expensive? $5000+ for some game? What is it?

It's very rare because it was never available commercially. It was used as part of a nationwide video game playing competition Nintendo sponsored. I'm guessing there are less than 100 of these ever made, minus the ones that don't work anymore, minus the ones that never made it out of Nintendo's hands.
I actually played in the NWC competition (it was around the time the NES related movie "The Wizard" came out) when it came to the convention center in Cincinnati, and did VERY badly. Didn't make it out of the first round. I remember the winning scores being astronomically large.

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/nes/nwc/nwc.html

Post subject: Re: NWC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:46 am 

teaguecl wrote:
"They do have a ROM dump but it is not emulated because of the custom hardware the cart uses."

That's a blatant lie. NESten, Nintendulator, and FCE Ultra emulate it just fine. In fact, NESten was the FIRST to emulate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:48 pm 

Following Kevin's thorough description, anybody could emulate this board. We've seen much worse mappers ;)

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/mappers ... EVENT.html

Post subject: Re: NWC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:39 pm 

Quietust wrote:
teaguecl wrote:
"They do have a ROM dump but it is not emulated because of the custom hardware the cart uses."

That's a blatant lie. NESten, Nintendulator, and FCE Ultra emulate it just fine. In fact, NESten was the FIRST to emulate it.

Unless, of course, "not emulated" means "not Nesticle compatible". Many people don't know of the existance of non-nesticle emulators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:29 am 

Part of the problem is Something Awful's The ROM Pit. Has anybody tried to get them to switch to FCEU or Nintendulator or something else more recent than nesticle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:13 am 
With the board shot and Kevtris' description, someone competent with electronics could build a reproduction of the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:15 am 

tepples wrote:
Part of the problem is Something Awful's The ROM Pit. Has anybody tried to get them to switch to FCEU or Nintendulator or something else more recent than nesticle?

He's actually released several ROMs that do not run at all in NESticle; for those, I seem to recall that he points users to FCE Ultra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am 
He really likes to tee off on NES games. Several "awful" games on his list are actually pretty decent or fun to play, but nothing beats the major systems when you look for crap games to pillar.