It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:22 am 

If Sprite 5 and Sprite 20 are drawn in exactly the same place, with 5 behind the bg and 20 in front, and all of Sprite 5's pixels are transparent then does sprite 20 get drawn?

In other words if a pixel is transparent then does it count as having a higher priority?

The reason that I am asking this is because in Castlevania I know that when you enter the castle you are supposed to enter it through the door using the afformentioned method. BUT it does not seem to work.

If I do it so that a pixel takes priority whether it is transparent or not then Castlevania seems to work, but other games then seem to suffer. I am very confused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:57 am 

Transparent pixels are ignored when determining relative sprite priority - in this case, you will see sprite #20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:08 pm 

You'll see sprite BG, then sprite 5, then sprite 20. If sprite 5 is transparent, if makes no effect, but if it is black, then you see sprite 5 behind the BG, then sprite 20 isn't visible because it has a black pixel from sprite 5 above it, this one isn't visible for the player because the BG transparent color is also black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:40 pm 

So how does Castlevania make the main character enter the door and go behind the wall when you enter the castle? I have checked and the character remains a fg sprite and there is also a background sprite that is fully transparent which it is supposed to hide behind. If transparency does not affect the priority of a pixel then how do they manage it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:04 pm 

The sprite is not transparent - it is simply the same color as the background. The actual colors are irrelevant; the PPU does not determine the actual color to display until AFTER it has determined which sprite to draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:24 am 

If the sprite is the same colour as the background, then surely it would be totally transparent and therefore have no priority?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:13 am 

Argggh! The PPU is color-blind up until the last moment; it only sees palette indicies when composing graphics. All that's relevant for transparency is whether the two low bits of the palette index are zero (the two bits specified in CHR data, as opposed to the higher bits specified by the attributes or whether it's BG/OBJ sub-palette). It's not like the "chroma key" on TV where they have a blue/green screen behind and anything approximately matching that color is transparent to the underlay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:18 am 

In other words, the sprite isn't transparent, it's black, and the BG is also black so the sprite is invisible, while not techically transparant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:28 am 

Bregalad wrote:
...so the sprite is invisible, while not techically transparant.

So... What's the difference between the two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:27 am 

Color 0... and ONLY color 0 is transparent ($3Fx0, $3Fx4, $3Fx8, $3FxC). If the sprite is to draw any color other than those colors the pixel is NOT TRANSPARENT. Whether or not the drawn pixel will be indistinguishable from the background to the user... the NES doesn't care.

So if the game has a black background and a fully black sprite on top of it... a human won't be able to tell where the sprite is by looking at the screen (since the same color is being drawn everywhere) -- but that doesn't necessarily make the sprite transparent. It just makes it blend in.

So agian... the only thing that matters when determining whether or not a sprite/bg pixel is transparent is if both the CHR bits are 0. Attribute bits don't matter.. the palette doesn't matter... nothing else matters. If the bg/spr is outputting color 0, it's transparent, if it's outputting color 1-3, it's opaque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:57 am 

Transparency is defined by (0x3F00). So if 0x3F02 has the same value as 0x3F00, is 0x3F02 transparent?

I understand what you say about the human eye not being able to see the sprite if it is that same colour as the bg but please try Castlevania and you will see what I mean. Using priorities, they make the main character dissapear when he enters the door.

Also is 0x3F00 mirrored to 0x3F04, 0x3F08, 0x3F0C, 0x3F10, 0x3F14, 0x3F18, 0x3F1C?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:11 am 

WedNESday wrote:
Transparency is defined by (0x3F00). So if 0x3F02 has the same value as 0x3F00, is 0x3F02 transparent?

No.

Quote:
Also is 0x3F00 mirrored to 0x3F04, 0x3F08, 0x3F0C, 0x3F10, 0x3F14, 0x3F18, 0x3F1C?

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:13 am 

Argh!!!!!!!

Then in that case, can somebody please explain palettes to me in a post. Please don't refer me to any txt files, I have read them all. Leave no detail out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:45 am 

The color written at $3f00, that is mirrored to $3f04, $3f08, $3f0c, $3f10, $3f14, $3f18 and $3f1c, is the transparent color. Only writes to $3f00 and $3f10 are taken care (so a write, for example to $3f1c, is without effect).

After all the priority calculations, the color drawn of the screen can be from a sprite image (that has high priority, or that have low priority and is behind a transparent BG pixel), or from a bg image (if there is no sprite, if there is a sprite with lower priority that is behind a non-transparent BG pixel, etc...), if no pixel has to be shown from BG nor sprites, the transparent color will be there.

The value of the color themselves have nothing to do with the priorities or transparent pixels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:55 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

Actually... no.

Here's the deal:

$3F10 mirrors $3F00
$3F14 mirrors $3F04
$3F18 mirrors $3F08
$3F1C mirrors $3F0C

$3F20-$3FFF mirrors $3F00-$3F1F

$3F00/$3F04/$3F08/$3F0C are NEVER DRAWN as part of a BG/sprite. Never never never never... since they are the 'color 0' value of the graphic (though they all exist, and can be used for the BG color when rendering is disabled). $3F00 holds the "background color" which is drawn if BOTH BG/Sprite pixels are transparent. (Note that $3F00 is the bg color only if rendering is enabled -- if rendering is disabled [both bg and sprites disabled] then it is possible for the game to use any palette entry as the bg color)

logic flows kind of like this (note: only true when rendering enabled) :

Code:
if sprite pixel is not transparent
 -> if sprite pixel has foreground priority, render it
 -> otherwise if background pixel is not transparent, render it
 -> otherwise render sprite pixel
else (sprite pixel is transparent)
 -> if background pixel is not transparent, render it
 -> otherwise (both are transparent), render color at ppu$3F00

For areas of the screen where there is no existing sprite -- the sprite pixel is transparent. If sprites are disabled, or if the sprite pixel is in the left 8 pixels of the screen and sprite clipping is turned on... the sprite pixel is transparent. Otherwise transparency is determined by CHR bits of the sprites graphic: 0=transparent... 1,2,3=opaque. If the BG is disabled or in the clipped range (left 8 pixels of the screen when clipping enabled), the BG pixel is transparent -- otherwise BG transparency depends on the BG graphics CHR bits -- same as sprites.

Attribute bits and palette lookup do not come into play at all until AFTER it's determined which pixel will be displayed.