It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: N00B starter question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:57 am 

Hey im a complite noob to programing and all that, and i want to program a nes emulator, all i need is some starters like waht language to program in so i can lern it and start to make my emu.

Please help me out with some links i dont no C/C++ i tried to lern it once and made a simple hello world prog thats about it, and i need to know the programs you use for programing the emu like waht compilers and that. Thank you so much.

I know this will take me a long time to start my emu because i need to start from the verry begining, but im here for a long time and have a lot of time on my hands. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:14 am 

If you are a "complete n00b to programming", I would suggest that you try something other than an NES emulator. NES emulators are quite complex and require knowledge of some rather advanced language features to implement properly.

This is akin to learning how to sprint before learning how to crawl - learn the basics, then learn the intermediates, and THEN, once you've got a decent grasp of your programming language, THEN you might want to try an NES emulator.

Another consideration is that there are already hundreds of "third class" NES emulators floating around which nobody ever uses; if you are going to write yet another one, you should probably set some sort of goal to make yours in some way better than all of the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:54 am 

I second that. When I started to program my emulator, I knew pretty much nothing, and because of that it was a good 4-5 months before I could even get the CPU up and running to about 90% of what it is now.

If you insist on writing a NES emulator then write a 6502 emulator. Forget the NES specifics, just write one on it's own and see how far you get.

Here is the best 6502 resource on the net.

http://www.obelisk.demon.co.uk/6502/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:30 pm 

Quote:
"third class" NES emulators floating around which nobody ever uses

As the author of a third class NES emulator that nobody uses :D, I'm going to have to disagree with this point.

Sure, my emulator doesn't do anything better (and many things worse) than other emulators, but I learned a ton of stuff, and had a lot of fun, while writing it. I still remember the first time I got a real game -- Arkanoid -- to run on it. Can't beat that feeling.

I completely agree that this isn't a good beginner's project, but I never really understood the 'yours isn't going to be any better than what's out there already' argument. That's just not what it's about for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:43 pm 

Ok thaks for all the replys, juat anoither question what is the 6502 waht does it run, roms ? what console ?

Ill tri to lern 6502 and C/C++ and make a emu and when im good at C++ ill make a nes emu, oh yeah do you use C/C++ to program the emu ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:23 am 

(Laughs and Laughs and Laughs...)

A 6502 is CPU that the NES uses. ROMs contain both code and graphics data and when you load the ROM into it's memory it runs the code from memory. You can us any programming language you want but C/C++ IS the best since almost all emulators use it.

Since you seem to know just about nothing, I would strongly recommend reading up on the 6502 for a very long time before starting to write anything. Make sure you understand everything first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:10 am 

Thanks WedNESday well im off to work, going to study the hell out off the 6502 and lern C++ on the way. thanks evryone fort your time.