young indiana jones new ppu discovery, nestopia help...

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

blargg

Post by blargg »

James wrote:I'm assuming that, in your test, 2000.2 is set (i.e. address increment = 32). In that case, any read of $2007 would clock FV (bits 12-13), toggling 0x1000, no?
No, I had $2000 set to 0, but I just re-ran it with $2000 set to $04 and I get the exact same result. So the increment mode has no effect.
Do you think the +1 increment relative to dummy, in most of the reads, is simply a timing difference?
No, since the tests use the same timing for both. I've seen a few entires different from one run to the next, but nothing widespread.
James

Post by James »

Can you test multiple reads for each increment mode (e.g. 4 reads compared to an appropriate number of NOPs)?
get nemulator
http://nemulator.com
blargg

Post by blargg »

I can test whatever you want. Specify the full conditions: what values do I put in $2000, $2005 and $2006 before the critical code runs?
James

Post by James »

Same test as before but with 4 LDA $2007 (or 4 LDA $0100 for the dummy reads) instead of 1, with $2000 set to 0 and 4. The existing $2005/$2006 values are fine.

Basically, I just want to see if multiple reads behave as expected or if some other behavior occurs.

(sorry if I introduced some confusion when I mentioned the NOPs. Forgot that you were performing an LDA $0100 to burn an equivalent number of cycles).

Thanks,
James
get nemulator
blargg

Post by blargg »

Sorry for the delay. Quad $2007 read yielded same result regardless of $2000 being 0 or 4. I appended the results to the Wiki page.
James

Post by James »

thanks blargg!
get nemulator
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

great work on everything guys. its fun to see all this happen and continue! and blaarg you are one friggin smart dude! :)
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

sorry for the old bump of this thread. just one quick question for you guys. I want to implement this into nestopia could someone please just let me know where i would need to put this at? would it be in ppu?

i just want to make sure i put it in the right place. :) hope someone can help a man out.
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

**update**

ive tried a couple things but cant seem to figure out where i need to make the change. if someone wouldnt mind helpin a noob out id greatly appreciate it. im still learning about things like this and this could be a sweet learning experience for me. :P
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Didn't Nestopia already fix it in unreleased builds? I thought it did.

Maybe I'm thinking of Nintendulator, which did fix it.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

Dwedit wrote:Didn't Nestopia already fix it in unreleased builds? I thought it did.

Maybe I'm thinking of Nintendulator, which did fix it.
hey dwedit. thanks for the response. nope the only emu to fix it was james on here. the current build of nestopia 1.40 does not have it. it hasnt been updated in years. as far as i know james on here who made the fix has the only emu which is the only one to corretly emulate it.

im trying to use this as learning experience and all so hopefully you or someone could lend a hand or expertise. theres actually a couple things im looking at there seems to be a apu bug in ninja gaiden intro movie where there is a small piece of the moon with a chunk of graphics missing in it.

but i hope someone can come along and lend me a small hand. :)
HJRodrigo

Post by HJRodrigo »

Have you tried Zepper's or cpow's emulator? I ask because they have been fairly faithful in updating their emus.
James

Post by James »

*Spitfire_NES* wrote:as far as i know james on here who made the fix has the only emu which is the only one to corretly emulate it.
Sounds like it's time to switch to nemulator! :wink:
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

ahaha, yea im gonna try it out james no doubt im just trying to get someone to take a minute of their time to lend me a hand and possibly help me out in a learning expperience, i know its prob not that hard to experienced coders but im not quite that good just yet and trying to learn all i can.

:) i hope someone on here will take a few minutes to even give it a look..... ;)
James

Post by James »

You'll need to modify the NES_POKE_D(Ppu,2007) function in NstPpu.cpp.
get nemulator