young indiana jones new ppu discovery, nestopia help...

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

is the line to be removed in ppu.cpp? also yea maybe thats the problem with free fall. it used to work in nestopia earlier version but now everything is all scrambled like eggs. hahah :P
plasturion

Post by plasturion »

tepples wrote:The method GetBusData(address,data) appears to simulate the effect of bus conflicts. If this game uses bus-conflict-free ROMs like AOROM does (R/W connected to a positive chip enable) or like ANROM does (/CE = /PRGSEL OR !R/W), the line should not be used. Perhaps the prototype board uses one of these methods of bus conflict avoidance.
Bless thanks for technical explanations tepples. If I right understood, this is some kind of hard assert that has affect on emulation, but doing nothing. So it can be freely removed. right? @*Spitfire_NES* look at NstBoardDiscrete.cpp. I don't imagine nestopia without best ever made game - Free Fall =]
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

hahaha plasturion so you removed the line:

data = GetBusData(address,data);

from nes_poke_ad and it does not affect the other games?
plasturion

Post by plasturion »

You can remove or comment this line adding two slash. I tried all games using this mapper (but not beat them) and looks they're ok after that modification. Check [This] list.
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

by the way removing this line now makes free fall (prototype) playable :P
Skibicki

Post by Skibicki »

I found a good unofficial release. Would it be possible to integrate the indyfix fixes into this existing source?

http://sites.google.com/site/geestarraw ... pia-1-41-1
changelog:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Unofficial 1.41.1 - by Geestarraw (geestarraw@gmail.com) (May 17, 2011)

Shell:

Changes:

- Added fullscreen support for non-primary monitor displays.
- Modified Video Options dialog component layout and added device index to
identify mutiple monitors.
- Refactoring.
- Code documentation.

Fixes:

- Fixed so menu is still displayed after fullscreen monitor to monitor switch.

Project:

Changes:

- Converted solution and projects to Visual Studio 2010.
- Improved version enumeration previously locked to x.xx (exactly 3 digits) to
be anything from y.y, y.y.y, and y.y.y.y (where y can be up to 4 digits).
- Changed build output target to nestopia.exe.

Fixes:

- Fixed bug in version enumeration always excluding highest version number.
- Moved unofficial 1.41 release notes to official changelog file.

Unofficial 1.41 - by Keith Kelly (c0d3h4x0r@hotmail.com) (March 29, 2010)

This is an unofficial maintenance release I created to fix an annoying joystick lag issue.
This lag was particularly bad when VSync was enabled. The original Nestopia author (Martin
Freij) appears to have abandoned the official Nestopia project on SourceForge and has not
responded to any of my e-mails, so I am left with no choice but to provide this unofficial
release as a public service to the emulation community.

Changes:

1. Removed manual option to set priority of Nestopia's main emulation loop thread. Instead,
Nestopia now boosts its own process base priority AND its own main emulation thread priority
whenever it is the active foreground window (and/or running in full-screen mode). This brings
Nestopia much closer to real-time performance and responsiveness.

2. Removed some screwy input polling logic, and added some calls to input.Poll(), to ensure
that the input devices are always polled immediately before the input state is utilized.
This was the key change that got rid of most of the lag.

3. Removed some screwy input timing logic that was causing input polling to work only on
certain clock intervals, rather than allowing it to work every time it was called.

(As far as I can tell on my own hardware configuration, these three changes taken together
have completely eliminated the lag problems that have been present in Nestopia for several
releases. Your mileage may vary.)

4. Updated the Visual Studio solution/project to build successfully under Visual C++ 2008
Express Edition.

5. Added this releasenotes.txt file and bumped the version number to 1.41.
plasturion

Post by plasturion »

I tested one of release 1.41, 1.41.1 and noticed is little unstable, for example it hangs my computer while Kirby playing on fullscreen, can't know why this could happen (priority process, second thread or something else). In any case maybe this pack of solutions are somehow worth update 1.41, 1.41.1 to IndyFix extension... but i'm not interested. I rather would like to get some stable part of this to enhance 1.40 version.
Skibicki

Post by Skibicki »

I'm just a dummy, not a dev :) but maybe someone can help on the bannister.org forums. Here are the links to the original forum discussions.

1.41 unofficial - http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads. ... mber=60627
Source
http://c0d3h4x0r.0catch.com/Nestopia-1. ... 86-src.zip
Binary
http://c0d3h4x0r.0catch.com/Nestopia-1. ... al-x86.zip

1.41.1 unofficial - http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads. ... mber=69655
source and binary
https://sites.google.com/site/geestarrawnestopia/
tepples

Post by tepples »

That and sometimes "screwy input polling logic" such as polling multiple times per frame has its advantages. I've been told that the "BMX Simulator" from Quattro Sports won't work in one build that includes Keith Kelly's patch.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

The unofficial update doesn't play nice on my system, either. The frame rate is extremely unstable and tends to freeze a lot (in fact, my entire system becomes unresponsive; I nearly had to reboot because I couldn't exit the program).

Like I've said before, people shouldn't mess around with code they don't fully understand.
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

is there anything good that has come out of the "unofficial updates"? just out of curiosity.
thefox

Post by thefox »

plasturion wrote:
tepples wrote:The method GetBusData(address,data) appears to simulate the effect of bus conflicts. If this game uses bus-conflict-free ROMs like AOROM does (R/W connected to a positive chip enable) or like ANROM does (/CE = /PRGSEL OR !R/W), the line should not be used. Perhaps the prototype board uses one of these methods of bus conflict avoidance.
Bless thanks for technical explanations tepples. If I right understood, this is some kind of hard assert that has affect on emulation, but doing nothing. So it can be freely removed. right? @*Spitfire_NES* look at NstBoardDiscrete.cpp. I don't imagine nestopia without best ever made game - Free Fall =]
Most likely explanation is that at development time Color Dreams had a different board, one with protection against bus conflicts, but they removed that to save money. So the real problem (probably) here is that the Secret Scout ROM is marked as iNES mapper 11, when in fact this non-bus-conflicting variant should be given a different number (if it exists, which can be found out by finding a picture of the PCB of the Secret Scout prototype...). Removing the bus conflict handling code from Nestopia is not technically the correct thing to do.
plasturion

Post by plasturion »

Thanks for that note, I don't know how to know what is the correct mapper number for free fall (prototypes), but I can make some exception using database entry only for this prototypes. So mapper 11 will be with protection against bus conflicts for others colordreams games and without for prototypes. That looks more correct.
thefox

Post by thefox »

plasturion wrote:Thanks for that note, I don't know how to know what is the correct mapper number for free fall (prototypes), but I can make some exception using database entry only for this prototypes. So mapper 11 will be with protection against bus conflicts for others colordreams games and without for prototypes. That looks more correct.
Nope, that would be vice versa. Mapper 11 is the one with bus conflicts (i.e. doesn't have protection against bus conflicts). We would need to see a picture of the prototype board to see if this hypothesis holds true.
oxyandy

Post by oxyandy »

Hi Plasturion,
I have had a few emails with you.
I have been working on updating Nestopia.

I don't agree with adding database entries in the source.
for hacked roms that wont play.

Just get ips win and make an ips file to put in the patch folder,
from original and hacked rom.
Then if you wish, you enable auto-patching,
or load original then ips from launcher.

It will apply to current rom, this is another way of doing it :)

My latest pre-release Nestopia loads the full set of No-Intro NES.
Of course, I haven't had a chance to play them all through yet.
But they load the first few seconds of intros fine.
2 have graphic glitches, maybe the rom ? more to do.

I added a virtual stereo mod, which really improves the user experience.
Next on list is changing input to RAW so that with 2 monitors,
one can be used to browse etc.
While the other runs Nestopia.

Currently not possible with any known version.

EDIT: only one from the set has graphical issues now, but that also shows on other emus.
So set confirmed