It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 pm 

i totally agree thats its most likely an fds issue nothing more. im about to start comparing nestopia and the correct NNNnesterj. hard to compare but its certainly doable and fixable., and there is ALWAYS a solution to every problem haha. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm 

I think you can be sure more or less, about difference 0.503 and 0.51 of NesterJ is somehow possible to check is it only FDS issue very simple, without any knowledge of FDS. Just rename 020.cpp to Nes_mapper_FDS.cpp and replace it with compiling NesterJ v0.503. If Kiki Kaikai works you can said you are 95% certain that's only FDS. However It needs VC++ 6.0, and is not friendly to compile.

Comparing only 020.cpp and NES_mapper_FDS.cpp, maybe you can also reduce possibilities of what's wrong with another thing (much of them are unchanged), and then you can compare with your emu source code.

Last edited by plasturion on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 am 

plasturion wrote:
I found maybe another step to make sure is this really FDS issue.
Let's talk about 2 other previous Nester releases that runs FDS:

Can you post these two files (020.cpp that works correctly, and Nes_Mapper_FDS.cpp that doesn't work correctly) somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 am 

[Here] - (good) and (bad) NesterJ FDS files
I have a bad news. I compiled NesterJ 0.503 with (correct) 020.cpp and it wont help. So the problem can be somewhere else afterall.

[Here] is site about Kiki Kaikai games with some screenshots and graphics.
Pretty nice shooter! I like those snes version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 am 

So im assuming once the issue is figured out. Most likely it's either fds.cpp or mapper 20.cpp file in nestopia I think. : )

Perhaps it fix other various oddities in nestopia fds games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 am 

It's kinda fun, you allways discover something new, i noticed that FDS support is also inside snss.cpp. So at first I'll try to make it similar like 0.51.
...it's done and nothing happen, ok i give up now, let's hear other oddities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 pm 

plasturion wrote:
It's kinda fun, you allways discover something new, i noticed that FDS support is also inside snss.cpp. So at first I'll try to make it similar like 0.51.
...it's done and nothing happen, ok i give up now, let's hear other oddities.

you mean you added the 2 together to compile for nester? or you added to nestopia?

oddities...hmmm ill have some soon :) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:13 pm 

I working only with both version of NesterJ 0.51 and 0.503 to find some clue of correct FDS emulate.

For now I can make only three things to do:
- make NesterJ 0.51 the same problem like FCEUX putting (bad) 0.503 files
- brick NesterJ 0.51 somehow to works bad like FCEUX.
- fix NesterJ 0.503 giving, modify (good) 0.51 files (snss.cpp, 020.cpp, maybe other)

If you made only one of that, it would be nice.
There's no sense trying to put this to Nestopia if you don't know what, but good luck if you find something, let me and others know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 pm 

plasturion wrote:
I working only with both version of NesterJ 0.51 and 0.503 to find some clue of correct FDS emulate.

For now I can make only three things to do:
- make NesterJ 0.51 the same problem like FCEUX putting (bad) 0.503 files
- brick NesterJ 0.51 somehow to works bad like FCEUX.
- fix NesterJ 0.503 giving, modify (good) 0.51 files (snss.cpp, 020.cpp, maybe other)

If you made only one of that, it would be nice.
There's no sense trying to put this to Nestopia if you don't know what, but good luck if you find something, let me and others know.

gotcha. :) im looking at all the sources too. ill update as things progress as well my friend. :) ive also been taking classes since im not the best at this stuff. im using other code as ways to help learn how things link together and reading up on nes documents and what fds sources i can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 am 

I think i've got it...

I've removed some code of NesterJ 0.51 and now works incorrect like FCEUX (and all other emus), and fixed 0.503 adding that new little part of code removed from 0.51.
In that case now we can be certain, that only this part of code is responsible for correct work of Kiki Kaikai. (look at Nes_rom.cpp)

What do you think about this?
Code:
   if(image_type == 1)
   {
      screen_mode = 1;
      mapper = 20;

fds = (ROM_banks[0x1f] << 24) | (ROM_banks[0x20] << 16) |
         (ROM_banks[0x21] <<  8) | (ROM_banks[0x22] <<  0);

for(i = 0; i < ROM_banks[4]; i++)
       {
         uint8 file_num = 0;
         uint32 pt = 16+65500*i+0x3a;
         while(ROM_banks[pt] == 0x03)
         {
            pt += 0x0d;
            pt += ROM_banks[pt] + ROM_banks[pt+1] * 256 + 4;
            file_num++;
         }
         ROM_banks[16+65500*i+0x39] = file_num;
      }
   }

Last edited by plasturion on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 am 

Great work plasturion! ;). This might be of huge help to other emus that want to make the kiki update. Lol. U deserve a round of brew lol. :lol:

Seriously though that's awesome that something new is always to be learned.

Since you have become the nestopia saviour would it be easier to put this in or is that a diff thing from the others? So u got fceultra to run it right? I just wanted to make sure that's what u were saying. I myself have been studying the Nes ppu and the nestopia ppu code. This emu is pretty advanced coding work.

Last edited by *Spitfire_NES* on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 am 

Wait, are you guys just trying to get the game to run or actually looking for the emulation inaccuracy that prevents it from running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:38 pm 

*Spitfire_NES* wrote:
So u got fceultra to run it right? I just wanted to make sure that's what u were saying. I myself have been studying the Nes ppu and the nestopia ppu code. This emu is pretty advanced coding work.

like fceu means like all other emus... I compiled only NesterJ 0.51 to make works like 0.503, and 0.503 to works like 0.51, only to make ensure where's the problem.

Quote:
Wait, are you guys just trying to get the game to run or actually looking for the emulation inaccuracy that prevents it from running?

And that's a good question. But what can be inaccurate? Emulation of NesterJ or all the other emus, so maybe there's something in known FDS docs, that can be incorrect, or something missing? Or this code might be helpful only to emulate Kiki, but is wrong and it can broke other FDS games? We need an expert opinion.

...about trying to put this to Nestopia, maybe now it's a good idea... It has high compatibility and we need some test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:21 pm 

plasturion wrote:
What do you think about this?
Code:
   if(image_type == 1)
   {
      screen_mode = 1;
      mapper = 20;

fds = (ROM_banks[0x1f] << 24) | (ROM_banks[0x20] << 16) |
         (ROM_banks[0x21] <<  8) | (ROM_banks[0x22] <<  0);

for(i = 0; i < ROM_banks[4]; i++)
       {
         uint8 file_num = 0;
         uint32 pt = 16+65500*i+0x3a;
         while(ROM_banks[pt] == 0x03)
         {
            pt += 0x0d;
            pt += ROM_banks[pt] + ROM_banks[pt+1] * 256 + 4;
            file_num++;
         }
         ROM_banks[16+65500*i+0x39] = file_num;
      }
   }

As far as I can tell, this code scans through all disk sides, calculates number of files on that side, and then patches the file amount block with the correct number. What would this accomplish, I don't know. Seems like a hack, since FDS can't really be doing the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 pm 

This "throw chunks of mystery code around and see if they stick" mentality to fixing emulation problems is kinda disappointing.

*Spitfire_NES* wrote:
I wonder what that all means....lol :p

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but...if you don't actually know what the code is doing, perhaps you shouldn't be trying to "fix" the problem, lest you introduce even more somewhere down the road.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next