It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:13 pm 

I've been looking around for various mapper information and it seems that existing docs are either severely outdated and incomplete/inaccurate (*cough*firebug's doc*cough*), difficult if not borderline impossible to understand (and also often inaccurate) *cough*goroh's docs*cough*, or information is just lacking all around.

The only mappers that are documented really well are the biggies... MMCx, various discrete mappers. Even on the wiki... it seems documentation is just not there.

Then I turn around and look at all these emus that support hundreds of mappers... and I'm wondering where all that information comes from. The only way I've been able to get various mappers working is by examining other emus' (Nintendulator) sources. There's got to be another way.

Is there a better source for mapper information? Is there an updated version of firebug's doc? sort of like a collection of various mappers rolled into one?

Would something like that be welcome on the wiki? The iNES mapper page lists a few (already well documented) mappers, but those links just say which boards the mapper represents and you have to go elsewhere for information. Would relatively large description pages be welcome on the wiki? I've never really worked with a wiki before but I'd be willing to put some stuff up there. I guess I'm just afraid of screwing it all up =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:10 am 

KH has some good info that he has reverse engineered up at http://tripoint.org/kevtris/mappers/mappers.html
A quick look at the wiki shows that most of that information is already there (though not all). If Kevin is cool with it, maybe we can update the docs with his info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:44 am 

Martin Korth's http://nocash.emubase.de/everynes.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:35 am 

Quote:
I guess I'm just afraid of screwing it all up

Don't worry, it's already screwed up. :)

Maybe we can discuss how to present mapper information, rather than each taking our own direction (Bregalad's commentary on game teams is relevant here too). I'm thinking that a concise means of presentation can be developed.

I second that everynes document as far as mapper information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:14 am 

Quote:
Maybe we can discuss how to present mapper information, rather than each taking our own direction (Bregalad's commentary on game teams is relevant here too). I'm thinking that a concise means of presentation can be developed.

I think Wiki is a great way to present this information. Concise, verified information similar to what's present in
everynes would be fabulous. I think there are enough members of this forum who can verify hardware information for at least the most popular board types at a cursory glance, so i don't see any reason why this format wouldn't work well. It's easy to index, maintain, and it avoids the problem of having outdated text files being circulated.

$.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:16 am 

Yeah kevtris docs are great, for sure. But they only cover a handful of mappers. Even after implimenting everything on kevtris page you'll only support like 12 mappers.

That everynes doc looks like it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks for the heads up hap =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:34 am 

I had once the idea to make a table included witch features would be featured by witch mapper, so someone writing a game could easily choose witch one to pick I.E.

Code:
|MaxPRGSize|PRGSwapSize|MaxCHRSize|CHRSwapSize|MidFrameIRQ|etc...

With data below for each maper. However, non-sililarities between them seems to render the task nearly impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:43 am 

hehe, I think you mean "which", not "witch". funny error ^^

Anyway, people developing a game should probably stick to "standard" mappers like MMC3/MMC1 or maybe even MMC5. It doesn't do any good for them to be researching obscure mappers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:49 pm 

Effectively, but I think someone would think that N106 or Sunsoft FME-7 has some interesting features, but find a card using those mappers are quite hard, while founding a MMC4 card is MUCH harder, even if this one would be considered as a standard mapper. I like MMC4 pretty much because all 3 games using it rocks it all. On anyother mapper... you'll probably find at least one game using it that will suck, hehe. That doesn't mean that this mapper is the best, but still, it's too often ignored, as be both a standard MMC and a very obscure mapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:13 pm 

Well part of what I meant by 'standard' was common/popular. Hence why I listed MMC1/3 (and to a lesser extend 5) but not MMC2/4/6.

Homebrewers should consider availability/compatibility/documentation before looking for ways/reasons/excuses to use wacky mapper features like what N106 etc provide. And on those major points... the popular standard mappers proove themselves to be the best options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:58 am 

The MMC5 is definitely not standard, but it features so many things that... well, using it is cool, even if cards using it are rare.