Anyone remember the first NES emulator?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm

I remember using fwNES a lot... but I guess it's a little more recent than the ones you are mentioning (1998 maybe)... Back then I would use either this or Nesticle in my 100Mhz Pentium.

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:13 pm

tokumaru wrote:I remember using fwNES a lot... but I guess it's a little more recent than the ones you are mentioning (1998 maybe)... Back then I would use either this or Nesticle in my 100Mhz Pentium.
Creepy. I had a 100mhz Pentium as well. I think at first I got a very old RockNES before finding Nesticle which ran much better. I remember running Nesticle, Callus, Genecyst, ZSNES, and No$GMB on that old 100mhz Pentium. I think everything ran well except ZSNES might have needed some settings tweaking like 8bit color mode, as 16bit supporting color blending effects was too slow on the computer. I think Genecyst might have ran a little slow too if I had it on 44khz sound quality.

Those were the days though. Emulation was really amazing when I first found out about it.

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:28 pm

I just checked the japanese pasofami page and it started in 1995 for windows version. The guy still sell, I mean, you can "register" it.

Was it the first one? Good question. He's talking on another page somewhere about the Pasofami with the FM-Town in 1992. Does that mean that before the PC version, he already was working on an emulator on that computer? Seems like it. Because it talk "because of the popularity of it, the windows version was made" (本ソフトの前身は FM TOWNS で好評の「パソファミ」で、これはその Windows 版です).

So this could be actually the oldest one if this is the case if you don't take into consideration the platform.

Here's the links, in japanese:
Main page
Some talk about the emulator