puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Alterac

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by Alterac »

If it helps, the Logitech F710 Gamepad seems to emulate a Xbox360 controller, and uses XInput

What happens with puNES is that I cannot map the buttons on my D-Pad

I can map the left Analog Stick to the directions and work with that, but its less than ideal.
I am also willing to test/debug anything on that front if needed.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Alterac wrote:If it helps, the Logitech F710 Gamepad seems to emulate a Xbox360 controller, and uses XInput

I have the same problem actually (Windows).

FHorse, if it's any help, in app called JoyToKey I had to enable "Use POV switches" option before being able to use the d-pad too.

EDIT: Also a feature request: support for drag & dropping of ROMs to load them, please. :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

thefox wrote:
Alterac wrote:If it helps, the Logitech F710 Gamepad seems to emulate a Xbox360 controller, and uses XInput

I have the same problem actually (Windows).

FHorse, if it's any help, in app called JoyToKey I had to enable "Use POV switches" option before being able to use the d-pad too.
Thanks, I think I understand what is the problem. I'm already working on.
thefox wrote:EDIT: Also a feature request: support for drag & dropping of ROMs to load them, please. :)
:) You are right, it's a really useful feature. I will add it.
Alterac wrote:I am also willing to test/debug anything on that front if needed.
Alterac I sent you a private message.
FHorse

Version 0.67

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
Correct the support for the D-pad in the Windows version (reported by Alterac).
In the "Standard Pad" setup added a button (1 for Keyboard and 1 for Joystick) to unbind all buttons (suggested by Alterac).
Implemented the support of Drag & Drop of roms directly in the emulator window to load them (suggested by thefox).
Other small bugfixes.
FHorse

Version 0.68

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.68 (bugfix release)
Correct a bug introduced in version 0.66 that in some circumstances, did not allow the filling of the audio buffer in time, producing a sound skipping.
Movax12

Post by Movax12 »

Is it just my old laptop's OpenGL support, or is software video significantly faster in general?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Does your old laptop have AMD video, NVIDIA video, recent Intel video (GMA X), or really old Intel video (GMA 3000 series, GMA 900 series, or "Extreme" Graphics)?
Movax12

Post by Movax12 »

I have Intel GM965. I could look into it more, but it seems OpenGL with any filter is basically unplayable, while with filters in software mode the emu runs fine.
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

Movax12 wrote:I have Intel GM965. I could look into it more, but it seems OpenGL with any filter is basically unplayable, while with filters in software mode the emu runs fine.
The problem are the support for the OpenGL of your video driver. I think that to get something working even on cards that don't are AMD or Nvidia, I must write a directx stack (I'm talking of windows version, naturally).
Last edited by FHorse on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movax12

Post by Movax12 »

Okay thanks for letting me know. I know the video on this laptop isn't fantastic - I didn't know it was that bad.
angrylion

Post by angrylion »

OpenGL output is very slow also on Radeon R300/R400. Do you use non-power-of-two sized textures in OpenGL? They're known to cause slowness on many old Radeons.
Also, what is "software" rendering? GDI or SDL's wrapper over DirectDraw?
Is it possible to implement VSync in "software" rendering mode?
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

angrylion wrote:OpenGL output is very slow also on Radeon R300/R400. Do you use non-power-of-two sized textures in OpenGL? They're known to cause slowness on many old Radeons.
Very strange, I use power-of-two texture.
angrylion wrote:Also, what is "software" rendering? GDI or SDL's wrapper over DirectDraw? Is it possible to implement VSync in "software" rendering mode?
I use SDL wrapper and I can see if SDL permit the vsync in windows mode.
Sky25es

Post by Sky25es »

Wow. Amazing work! PuNES has become my Nes-emulator of choice, replacing the good old Nestopia.
Just a few sugestions: It would be nice to be able to map at least an "Exit" Key instead of using "Alt-F4". Another nice touch would be to have an option to turn off the "status-messages" at the start i.e.: "PORTABLE Punes", "Input configuration loaded" etc...

Thanks again, and keep up the amazing work
thefox

Post by thefox »

APU noise emulation seems off. It might be because of the lack of bandlimiting on the waveforms (there's distinct aliasing in pulse waves, too).

Any plans to fix that?

EDIT: Probably one of the best test cases is the first level music in Solstice.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Is it possible to use NetPlay and make it one computer displays only odd frames and one computer displays only even frames?
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)