puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

FHorse

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by FHorse »

thefox wrote:
lidnariq wrote:
thefox wrote:I think I figured out the problem with Yoshi, it's a broken ROM. ROM is 160 KB (+16 bytes), even though it's supposed to have 128 KB PRG-ROM and 64 KB CHR-ROM (= 192 KB + 16 bytes total). That broken ROM seems to be somewhat commonly distributed (first hit from Google found the same one...)
Really?
Thanks, it was actually the header that was wrong. Makes more sense.
Added the correct size of the CHR-ROM in the internal database, now run in the WIP. Thx to thefox for the report.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

- 32/64 SDL Error.

ATTENTION: Unable to create XAudio2 object. Probably you have an incomplete installation of DirectX 10.

Utterly false as I'm up to date.

- 32/64 D3D9 Error.

The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

No other emulators need this file so why does puNES?
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

WedNESday wrote:Hi,

- 32/64 SDL Error.

ATTENTION: Unable to create XAudio2 object. Probably you have an incomplete installation of DirectX 10.

Utterly false as I'm up to date.

- 32/64 D3D9 Error.

The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

No other emulators need this file so why does puNES?

Thanks,

James
Both errors are caused by the same problem, an outdated installation of DirectX 9/10 and the lack of dll "d3dx9_43.dll" proves it. This dll is REQUEST from directx to compile shaders, so I need to use them.
Go here if you want understand the problem : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/en and read the "Install DirectX End-User Runtime if your application or game Requires an earlier version of DirectX".. In particular read the "List of file failures That the DirectX End-User Runtime package fixes", as you will see there are just listed "D3DX9_43.DLL" and "XAUDIO2_0.DLL" so you have the error. So your installation of directx is not complete.
Go here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=159853, download the web installer and update it.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

tepples wrote:Scaling from 256x240 or 512x480 to 640x480, as shown in vuehbwhq's screenshot, produces an image that's a bit too wide (5:4 pixel aspect ratio). Accurate NTSC TV picture dimensions, as defined in BT.601, give 8:7 PAR.
FHorse wrote:
Zepper wrote:256x240 -> 640x480 :P
So, isn't the TV aspect?
You're right, now I understand that it is not. I should have called it "5:4 pixel aspect ratio." :)
But why 640x480 is 5:4 aspect? I think it's 4:3
640/480 = 4/3 = 1.333... proportions.

I've attached GITS2 TV-test ROM
And here is a picture how PAL TV shows it:

punes 5:4Image punes 8:7Image
Attachments
GITS_2_by_Sergey_Ryumik_ENG.nes
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

You may be confusing pixel aspect ratio, the shape of each individual pixel, with display aspect ratio, the shape of the picture as a whole.

Trying to display 256x240 pixels on a display with 4:3 display aspect ratio produces a pixel aspect ratio of (4*240)/(3*256) = 960/768 = (5*192)/(4*192) = 5:4.

The NTSC scanline period, as defined in recommendation 601, is as long as 280 dots of the NTSC NES PPU. This means the picture should be padded out to 280x240 before displaying it on a display with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Trying to display 280x240 pixels on a display with 4:3 display aspect ratio produces a pixel aspect ratio of (4*240)/(3*280) = 960/840 = (8*120)/(7*120) = 8:7.

But you're using PAL, not NTSC. Each field in PAL has 288 lines (not counting the blanking period), unlike NTSC and PAL/M where each field has 240 lines. Because PAL has more lines, each pixel is not as tall. This means the pixel aspect ratio of PAL will be larger (that is, wider) than that of NTSC. Because of the oddball color subcarrier frequency for PAL (4,433,618.75 Hz), the exact PAR figure for PAL is 2950000:2128137, or about 1.3862:1. Try 11:8 in puNES and see how well that matches what you see on your PAL TV.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Thank you
Schaki

Post by Schaki »

Would it be possible to add Bilinear Interpolation to possible Video-options?
I'm having the problem since way back that I can't get the picture to look as good as with Nestopia with the existing settings available in Punes. Nestopia with Filter set to Standard and Bilinear Interpolating activated looks very good in Full screen.
The closest i can get to that with Punes is using Filter, Ntsc, Composite or S-video. Still looks a little ragged in full screen.
Very good emulator in general so I would like to continue to use it.
OldGhost

Post by OldGhost »

Oh but I thought it's there... It's called just "Interpolation" in "Video" menu just below Vsync. It was implemented not too long ago, maybe you use some older version of emulator?
Well, I'm not an expert in exact picture and might not understand something (even seemingly obvious), but I've just checked both emulators with interpolation on and to me they both look evenly great. Was it not what you were looking for? Maybe you need to update the emulator?
Schaki

Post by Schaki »

Yes now I see there is some interpolation-mode there. Not as good as the Bilinear interpolation in Nestopia though. I think it makes too little of a difference. Actually I didn't even notice the difference it until I tested to switch it on and off a few times in full screen mode.
SpitFire707

Post by SpitFire707 »

When trying to play Mega Man you get the following error.

Illegal Opcode 0x32 at 0xFE4C
Sky25es

Post by Sky25es »

Huh? It's been pretty quiet here recently... :|
angrylion

Post by angrylion »

Two potential bug reports for puNES 0.90:

Joe & Mac - cavemen Ninja (U): doesn't show demo play in Dendy mode, instead it proceeds to gameplay as if the "start" button was pressed. This doesn't happen in puNES NTSC mode, in Nestopia 1.40 and Nintendulator's Dendy modes, or on my real Dendy.

Lagrange Point (English patch 1.00 by Aeon Genesis): the title screen is corrupt (in NTSC mode, obviously). Nestopia and Nintendulator don't have this problem. The game has been tested on a real Famicom wih a donor cart PCB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krxWrZAtt8
as claimed here:
http://vk.com/kinamania?w=wall-29106122_259288%2Fall
SpitFire707 wrote:When trying to play Mega Man you get the following error.
I couldn't reproduce this.
TXF

Post by TXF »

I quite like this emulator. It's nice and simple, and works well. Plus it has the features I care about like the NTSC filters and palette loading.

My one issue though, is that I don't know where things save to. Like, save state files and such. They're not in the rom directory, and they're not in the punes folder. It'd be nice if stuff like that saved to folders in the punes directory. Or at least give me a paths option to change it. Also not entirely sure how to use cheats, but that may be mentioned in the thread somewhere.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

SpitFire707 wrote:When trying to play Mega Man you get the following error.

Where? When? More information please. What level were you on? etc.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

It may be anything...

1. Bad ROM image.
2. An obscure bug in the emulator RESET/loading routine after the 1st loading.
3. Bad iNES header with a wrong mapper number.