puNES Emulator

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

OldGhost

Re: puNES Emulator (ex Fnes)

Post by OldGhost »

TXF wrote:I quite like this emulator. It's nice and simple, and works well. Plus it has the features I care about like the NTSC filters and palette loading.

My one issue though, is that I don't know where things save to. Like, save state files and such. They're not in the rom directory, and they're not in the punes folder. It'd be nice if stuff like that saved to folders in the punes directory. Or at least give me a paths option to change it. Also not entirely sure how to use cheats, but that may be mentioned in the thread somewhere.
FYI, by default it saves configs and rest to My documents\punes
But you can make it save into the same folder. just rename the executive file to "punes_p", which stands for "portable" and all the saves and configs will save into the same folder.
At first, I didn't know it either, author told me this. It might even be described in the readme, but I'm always too lazy to read.
Nintendo-Gamer

Post by Nintendo-Gamer »

I'm having a problem with the latest download of PuNES (0.90 version). It plays perfectly for about 18 minutes exactly, then it crashes. I timed the emulator playing a ROM on five different occasions. Each time, the emulator would stop working at about 18 minutes exactly.

I was able to acquire the 0.85 version and tested it. Same problem. However, when I tried the 0.68 version, it never crashed. (Although the sound timing was off, and the game didn't play nearly as smooth as the latest version.)

I'm using Windows 8.1, and my operating system is 64-bits. I have already tried running the program as an administer, as well as setting the compatibility options to run with older versions of Windows. I also tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the emulator. But the problem remains.

What could be the problem?

This is the best NES emulator I've played. I would love to continue gaming with it!
mgos307

Post by mgos307 »

Add unsupported mappers example: from NonGoodNES (DreamGear 101 in 1) etc.
Cheat Code Support (not game genie)
Netplay (kaillera or something else)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Does it work for 65536 frames (18 minutes and 12 seconds)?
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

tepples wrote:Does it work for 65536 frames (18 minutes and 12 seconds)?
This simply has to be it. It must be to do with some signed 16-bit frame counter variable.
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

Which puNES Windows version is recommended to use?
I've been using puNES since v0.68 and I don't remember if it were SDL back then.

I've been using the SDL version all along up to v0.90.

What is the respective pros and cons for using the SDL version and the D3D9 version?
And what is the major differences?
OldGhost

Post by OldGhost »

Black Zero wrote:Which puNES Windows version is recommended to use?
I've been using puNES since v0.68 and I don't remember if it were SDL back then.

I've been using the SDL version all along up to v0.90.

What is the respective pros and cons for using the SDL version and the D3D9 version?
And what is the major differences?
Hi! To put it simple, SDL version uses OpenGL for graphics output, while D3D9, obviously, uses DirectX and is more preferable for use (sorry, can't list pros and cons, both versions work, but I can say that DX was supposed to superseed OpenGL version)
When the author ported the graphic engine to DirectX (in version 0.80), he had to distinguish versions, so OpenGL became SDL. Before there was only OpenGL (SDL) one.
Hope it clears your question )

Everyone, happy upcoming New Year!
Black Zero

Post by Black Zero »

OldGhost wrote:Hi! To put it simple, SDL version uses OpenGL for graphics output, while D3D9, obviously, uses DirectX and is more preferable for use (sorry, can't list pros and cons, both versions work, but I can say that DX was supposed to superseed OpenGL version)
When the author ported the graphic engine to DirectX (in version 0.80), he had to distinguish versions, so OpenGL became SDL. Before there was only OpenGL (SDL) one.
Hope it clears your question )

Everyone, happy upcoming New Year!
Thanks for your reply!

I know that the D3D9 version is newer than the SDL version, but is it wrong to assume the SDL version is more mature and stable since it been around longer?
Between the two, is there any differences in terms of accuracy?

I'm quite happy with the SDL version, but is there any benefits for using the D3D9 version instead aside from the obvious?
OldGhost

Post by OldGhost »

Black Zero wrote: Thanks for your reply!

I know that the D3D9 version is newer than the SDL version, but is it wrong to assume the SDL version is more mature and stable since it been around longer?
Between the two, is there any differences in terms of accuracy?

I'm quite happy with the SDL version, but is there any benefits for using the D3D9 version instead aside from the obvious?
Well, I can't help you much on the benefits, let us wait for more competent explanation ;)
But what I do know is the main reason author switched from OpenGL was lack of proper OGL support in many video cards drivers, I guess people were complaining about poor speed and that's why it was decided.
If it works for you and you see no difference between the two, use whatever one you like.
SedrynTyros

Post by SedrynTyros »

I fooled around with this emulator for the first time yesterday and in my initial testing it seems to work great! Unfortunately, I have issues with sound sync and crackling/popping on my computer when using Nestopia v1.46, which is what prompted me to seek out other emulators. (I think the Nestopia APU needs some work before it'll be fully compatible with my Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card; looks like rdanbrook is going to rewrite the APU core, but who knows when). But with puNES v0.90 I've had no problems yet with sound. :)

Question on puNES; is there a way to get it to display in fullscreen mode an overlay that shows when you've selected a new save state slot or when you've saved a state? Nestopia has this feature and it's one I find helpful in keeping track of which save state slot I'm using without going back and forth between windowed mode and fullscreen.
FHorse

Version 0.91

Post by FHorse »

Changelog:
0.91 (Major release)
- Completely rewritten GUI doing a complete porting to QT. Although user level this leads to a few visual changes, at the level of code management and development time has changed the world. Now I have to maintain a single codebase for all versions drastically reducing the time of development and maintaining a uniform GUI on both platforms. Add new functions is now much easier and faster.
- Linux version now directly use the ALSA API for the audio.
- Added the ability to save and load save states directly from the file.
- Now the shortcuts are reconfigurable (although for now only by editing input.cfg).
- Added the ability to translate the GUI (for now only English and Italian but if someone wants help...).
- Fixed a lot of bugs and optimized the code making this version the faster and more precise than ever.
Although tested on multiple computers (I thank all those who gave me a hand in recent months with testing and suggestions and especially Eugene.S, angrylion and Oldghost) it is possible that there are still bugs. Thanks in advance everyone who will report them to me.

P.s. I recommend you to delete files "puNES.cfg" and "input.cfg" before launching this version.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Friendly suggestion: put the download links at the top of the first post, not at the bottom.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

thefox wrote:Friendly suggestion: put the download links at the top of the first post, not at the bottom.
You are perfectly right.
kripke

Post by kripke »

hi all,

I like this emu really much, because I can use some recording tools on it. But I have a Problem, with a rom 'StarTropics / Startropics 2'. The US-Version does not even start and the EU-Version show only up to the main menu (and can't even create a profile) and there is no sound on this game. I test this game on other emus, and it worked "normal" with sound - but the emus does not support dx9 or OpenGL or smth. like that. Is it possible to fix this issue? Or is the rom corrupted?

Edit:
I tried to play Xevious on this Emu, but it does not work as well. One versions works, but looks ugly. I have add 2 screenshots on it.

thx for your help :)
Attachments
punes64 21-02-2015 15-53-48-280.jpg
punes64 21-02-2015 15-54-15-773.jpg
FHorse

Post by FHorse »

kripke wrote:hi all,

I like this emu really much, because I can use some recording tools on it. But I have a Problem, with a rom 'StarTropics / Startropics 2'. The US-Version does not even start and the EU-Version show only up to the main menu (and can't even create a profile) and there is no sound on this game. I test this game on other emus, and it worked "normal" with sound - but the emus does not support dx9 or OpenGL or smth. like that. Is it possible to fix this issue? Or is the rom corrupted?

Edit:
I tried to play Xevious on this Emu, but it does not work as well. One versions works, but looks ugly. I have add 2 screenshots on it.

thx for your help :)
I've tested Xevious and works well, probably you have a corrupted rom. For 'StarTropics / Startropics 2' you are right, I will try to figure out what the problem is. However we continue the conversation in P.M.